Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a good cloud photo backup

weltweit

Finally I have a good connection and can now consider backing up photos to the cloud.

But where is good, where is secure and where is good value?

ATM I have 230GB to back up ..

What say you?

Just also going to look at this earlier thread from 2021:

If you've got a Google account, take advantage of their free Photos back up and set it for 'reduced quality' - the saved images are still plenty big enough for most cases. Or you could shell out for storage. The biggest bonus is that get all Google's AI smartness, so you can search for things like 'photos of a red train in the rain' etc.

Also Amazon Prime offers a free full size photo back up - I've got around 3TB on there.

I'll merge this thread with the other one later, btw.

If you've got a Google account, take advantage of their free Photos back up and set it for 'reduced quality' - the saved images are still plenty big enough for most cases. Or you could shell out for storage. The biggest bonus is that get all Google's AI smartness, so you can search for things like 'photos of a red train in the rain' etc.
I suppose I have a G account, I use gmail so probably do .. I wonder how much they charge for my stuff will have a look..
Also Amazon Prime offers a free full size photo back up - I've got around 3TB on there.
I cancelled my Prime membership as I wasn't getting anything for it. It is just £8.00 a month though no? Is that all you pay?

I suppose I have a G account, I use gmail so probably do .. I wonder how much they charge for my stuff will have a look..

I cancelled my Prime membership as I wasn't getting anything for it. It is just £8.00 a month though no? Is that all you pay?
Backing up to Google Photos is free for a shitload of images saved in 'storage saver' format. If you do fill that up, the extra storage fees are pretty cheap. It's going to cost you bugger all so you may as well use it.

I'm thinking about paying out for the 2TB option which is £80/year.

Amazon Prime comes with a load of other benefits and cists £9/month although it's not as clever as Google for searching photos - but still remarkable value, really.

I think I want to backup not just photos but also everything else so perhaps a cloud backup rather than a cloud photo backup. Perhaps Google and Amazon might come out better than Flickr in that respect..

editor On reduced quality in Google, can you downsize NEF Nikon Raws?

I think I want to backup not just photos but also everything else so perhaps a cloud backup rather than a cloud photo backup. Perhaps Google and Amazon might come out better than Flickr in that respect..

editor On reduced quality in Google, can you downsize NEF Nikon Raws?
I've no idea sorry

On reduced quality in Google, can you downsize NEF Nikon Raws?
You could zip them, but I've no idea how much space that would save.

If you're shooting new RAW files, you can choose Uncompressed, Compressed and Lossless Compressed. Compressed will save you from 35-55%, Lossless Compressed will save from 20-40%. You can also choose 14bit or 12bit RAW. 14bit will give you better quality but larger files.

Hi RoyReed good point, I had completely forgotten about that, I set it up when I started with the camera and haven't changed it since. I am shooting 12 bit NEF (Raw) full size 7360px x 4912px which usually results in NEF image files of about 30mb.

Love the Google photo search. Like it knows what my cats are called. :)

For me it's well worth the money and I use it as my cloud backup, it's handy to be able to access my files from a browser on another device if needed or my phone.

At which compression setting?
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 32.4 MB ..

Had to dig out my manual :) and in fact on the camera I can't see how to change from lossless compression to compressed - I don't want to make that change but I wouldn't mind seeing where I could make it .. iyswim.

NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 32.4 MB ..

Had to dig out my manual :) and in fact on the camera I can't see how to change from lossless compression to compressed - I don't want to make that change but I wouldn't mind seeing where I could make it .. iyswim.
Honestly, if I had a D800 or D850 I'd be using it at its top setting and fuck the disc space, so 14bit and Lossless Compressed. Otherwise it's a bit like putting a speed limiter on a Ferrari.

Honestly, if I had a D800 or D850 I'd be using it at its top setting and fuck the disc space, so 14bit and Lossless Compressed. Otherwise it's a bit like putting a speed limiter on a Ferrari.
Oh, you have a point :) however I find the image files, as I have them set, absolutely massive and very finely detailed especially compared to my last camera (6mpx Fuji), I haven't ever wondered how they might be better if they were 14 bit!! :) - I find I have just so much leeway for cropping and still have an image big enough to print.

Still, you make me wonder, could I tell the difference 12 - 14 bit? ..

Still, you make me wonder, could I tell the difference 12 - 14 bit? ..
They both have the same resolution, but 14bit has a greater colour depth.
  • More information: 14-bit images have four times the information of 12-bit images.
  • More detail in shadows: 14-bit images have greater detail in shadow areas, which receive less exposure than mid-tones or highlights.
  • More vibrant colors: 14-bit images have more vibrant colors, especially blues.
  • More flexibility in tones: 14-bit images have more range in tones.
12-bit can record 4,096 different colours per channel, while a 14-bit can record 16,384 per channel.

Back
Top Bottom