Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a bread maker

sojourner

Where's me readers?
I know, I KNOW there are already a few threads about this but given technology makes big leaps forward very rapidly, I would like some up-to-date recommendations for a bread maker please!

I really enjoy kneading by hand, but you do have to make sure you have a full morning or afternoon to commit to the whole process eh? I don't always have that time, even though I'm still wfh at the moment, it looks like I'm gonna be dragged back in kicking and screaming in April. I also have arthritis in my hands that is gradually getting worse, so would rather not provoke the fucker any further.

So - I don't mind paying for a decent machine that will last and make lovely addictive homebaked loaves. Give us yer recommendations!

I would probably replace my Panasonic with another - though I only use one setting and could probably manage with almost anything.
I finally put in the replacement pan bearing last year - it took a long time as I only bake one loaf a week ...

The Panasonic one I bought is great, although I've not tried other brands so can't really compare. The loaf shape is the only thing that vexes me, but it's a worthwhile trade-off for convenience. If you use your oven regularly it might be worth using the machine to prepare the dough and cook it in the oven, but I just use the machine.

They are bloody expensive though ...
If mine ever broke, I would be tempted by what LIDL had at the time.
Before the Panasonic, I stopped using my MR because the pan bearing failed and I'd also scoured the PTFE by using so many seeds in my bread...
I had a Panasonic inverter combi oven pack up just outside of warranty and two Bosch washing machines fail prematurely ...

Our Panasonic has been baking every other day for years and years now without a complaint.

I got one off freecycle. In all honesty they are the classic kitchen thing people dont use or stop using so I would ask around first locally to get one for free.

If you really enjoy it then maybe buy a fancy one. But there are so many unwanted ones that need a new home...

I got one off freecycle. In all honesty they are the classic kitchen thing people dont use or stop using so I would ask around first locally to get one for free.

If you really enjoy it then maybe buy a fancy one. But there are so many unwanted ones that need a new home...
I'd forgotten about that - for ages it was the butt of duff wedding present jokes - like fondue sets ...

If it's the kneading that's hard work though and you still enjoy the baking how about a food mixer rather then a full bread machine.
It's the time too, if you read my OP - I'm probably gonna have to go back to the office in April, so time is a consideration.

The Panasonic one I bought is great, although I've not tried other brands so can't really compare. The loaf shape is the only thing that vexes me, but it's a worthwhile trade-off for convenience. If you use your oven regularly it might be worth using the machine to prepare the dough and cook it in the oven, but I just use the machine.
Which Panasonic one farmerbarleymow ?

Aye, the world of checks notes breadmaking is constantly rocked by emergent new tech.
It fucking might be! :D:p

Now that's not a bad idea at all Riklet , cheers!

Yeah, I got my old one at a car boot sale for a couple of quid. Then my mum upgraded her old Panasonic (after 10+ years) and it is serving me well after 3+ years. Gave my old one to a neighbour who is still using it now.

I only noticed the other day that the catch on my seed dispenser has packed up.
I could probably fix it, but I gave up on loading my bread with seeds so there was at least a chance of it not ending up like concrete.
I also cheat now - half wholemeal / half malted.
And the only programme that works for me is the 3 hour rapid with no timer - but I can't really use the timer in any case - at least not in winter because I start my yeast going with warm water ...

Truth be told they make a certain kind of bread, which mayve isnt so in fashion now as it's not artesanal sourdough handwoven crunchy loaf style stuff.

If you like more standard loaves, warm and chunky with seeds and maybe even nuts/olives in then youll be happy.

It is if you eat a lot of sandwiches. I have a Russell Hobbs one that leaves a hole and once or twice a week I have to have sandwiches with holes in them at work.
You'd have thought by now they would at least engineer them to park the blade in one position ...

I've never actually made bread you could properly make a sandwich with so it often breaks up quite badly once you reach the hole...

I found I learned to love my holes. Fnar.

Not got my breadmaker at the moment and Im missing it!! Light wholemeal loaf not too browned with loads of golden linseeds and pumpkin seeds in it.... mmmm

Back
Top Bottom