Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me (a) book(s) on Early Modern Humans and/or Neanderthals

Steel Icarus

we move
Please

I know nothing about this stuff so I'm not even layman level. So nowt too scholarly and dry. And as recent as poss, I know even ten year old books on this have been superceded by super science

Cheers

I'd like to know, too. The books I've read are more than 10 years old. That's a decent cut-off point cos it's when the Denisovans were discovered, which rather set the cat among the pigeons. Regular articles in New Scientist changing the story all the time.

The Singing Neanderthals by Steven Mithen is a good read, but it's 15 years old, so pre-Denisovan-era. It's quite speculative, although Mithen does signal when he's speculating, but a fair bit of that speculation will be wrong now.

I haven't read any very recent books but I would always look for what Chris Stringer thinks first. He's arguably the best in the field and presents/writes very well for both the professional and layperson. He had a book out in 2018 which looks like the one:

Our Human Story - Louise Humphrey & Chris Stringer (Pub by Natural History Museum). 2nd hand copies for a fiver on Amazon etc.

Alice Roberts is even more accessible, and also respected - Evolution: The Human Story 2nd Edition 2018. Seems to be hard cover only though so twenty odd quid.

The first half of Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari looks at this, and is very accessible and available cheaply. Plenty of stuff to disagree with in there wrt Harari's own reasoning about how and why humankind evolved in the way it did, but I found it thought provoking and extremely readable.

(edit: just searched the forum and see you've read it. Will leave the recommendation up for anyone else interested)

I'm reading Humankind by Rutger Bregman atm. It's just come out. It's got a lot of stuff about early humans and how opinions on them have changed over time/research has developed. The emphasis is on how societies were organised and the fundamentals of 'human nature'. It's not super academic but it seems like that's not what you're after anyway.

Also it's just an uplifting and interesting read for dark times when we're all told how terrible people are and that's just reality. Got some good stuff saved up for next time my father in law tries to tell me that it's human nature to be selfish and that's why we should all be right wing.

I'm reading Humankind by Rutger Bregman atm. It's just come out. It's got a lot of stuff about early humans and how opinions on them have changed over time/research has developed. The emphasis is on how societies were organised and the fundamentals of 'human nature'. It's not super academic but it seems like that's not what you're after anyway.

Also it's just an uplifting and interesting read for dark times when we're all told how terrible people are and that's just reality. Got some good stuff saved up for next time my father in law tries to tell me that it's human nature to be selfish and that's why we should all be right wing.

Looking forward to reading this one.

The first half of Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari looks at this, and is very accessible and available cheaply. Plenty of stuff to disagree with in there wrt Harari's own reasoning about how and why humankind evolved in the way it did, but I found it thought provoking and extremely readable.
Got this on my 'to read'pile.

Just read this and found it interesting, demographic modelling suggests there were likely only ever 10,000 Neanderthal individuals alive at any one time, and the maximum they posit just 70,000:

Back
Top Bottom