Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend a good supplier of kefir?

Karl Masks

Birds Angel Delight
I want to try some. I want the actual stuff, not the 'kefir falvoured' derivative products. I've been looking on amazon, not sure where else to look to order from. Any recommendations? Preferrably cheap, if possible. Thanks

Do you mean you want the kefir culture so you can make a kefir drink yourself? Which is the best cheapest way ime.

I bet someone on u75 that makes it would happily send you a scooby.
Yes. Thank you. I know you can buy kefir related products, like yoghurt, but I don't they are as healthy or even live as the real thing unless someone can recommend something?

Yes. Thank you. I know you can buy kefir related products, like yoghurt, but I don't they are as healthy or even live as the real thing unless someone can recommend something?
You can buy kefir grains to make kefir water- as mentioned above.
You will need some large Mason jars and wooden implements as metal kills the culture.

You can buy kefir grains to make kefir water- as mentioned above.
You will need some large Mason jars and wooden implements as metal kills the culture.
maybe i should start with making sauerkraut or kimchi, as cabbage will be cheaper. I like the idea that, iirc, kefir is reusable

maybe i should start with making sauerkraut or kimchi, as cabbage will be cheaper. I like the idea that, iirc, kefir is reusable

Yes, kefir actually grows. It's like you feed it when you put it in your ingredients.

So you treat it nicely :) ours usually just goes from one pot of milk to another, or sometimes goes for a break in the fridge.

The local people of the Caucasus Mountains are said to have discovered kefir a thousand years ago. Others believed it was a 'miraculous' gift from Mohamad - exclusively for them. The grains were reported to be treated like precious jewels in each family, because of their ability to preserve and enhance milk

Btw, pure kefir tastes fucking vile, rank. I gave it a go but now get it with some kind of flavour in it. You can get it from most big supermarkets.

I considered making my own from grains, but don't want to start buying cow milk again just to feed it.

Yes, kefir actually grows. It's like you feed it when you put it in your ingredients.

So you treat it nicely :) ours usually just goes from one pot of milk to another, or sometimes goes for a break in the fridge.

The local people of the Caucasus Mountains are said to have discovered kefir a thousand years ago. Others believed it was a 'miraculous' gift from Mohamad - exclusively for them. The grains were reported to be treated like precious jewels in each family, because of their ability to preserve and enhance milk
thanks

Btw, pure kefir tastes fucking vile, rank. I gave it a go but now get it with some kind of flavour in it. You can get it from most big supermarkets.

I considered making my own from grains, but don't want to start buying cow milk again just to feed it.
Yeah, but the stuff in supermarkets tends to be full of additives/extras/sugar and is likely pasteurised. I found some Yeo Valley Kefire plain yoghurt that says it's live and has no extra rubbish. But I don't know if it's actually any good

Yeah, but the stuff in supermarkets tends to be full of additives/extras/sugar and is likely pasteurised. I found some Yeo Valley Kefire plain yoghurt that says it's live and has no extra rubbish. But I don't know if it's actually any good
I know. Read the label. They're not allowed to label pasteurised as unpasteurised and vice versa. What are you after from it? Improved gut microbiome?

I know. Read the label. They're not allowed to label pasteurised as unpasteurised and vice versa. What are you after from it? Improved gut microbiome?
Yes, also is the amount of kefir/live culture in such products going to be effective? I don't know how you'd mreasure such things

Yes, also is the amount of kefir/live culture in such products going to be effective? I don't know how you'd mreasure such things
You could pay for one of those Zoe nutrition tests that measure such things, if you're loaded. If you're not, like most folk, then I think you just have to take it on faith in the science. Hopefully you would eventually notice that you have more energy, less illness, weight gain would be affected, stuff like that.

Have you tried making water kefir?
It's really tasty when made with fruit.

I made Kefir for a while. Problem is you've got to really like it or have a few of you as it makes a fair bit and it's like a small demanding pet you have to keep feeding. You can refrigerate the grains to take a break, but I found it's not something you can away with to often.

Regarding gut health I really recommend this 6 mushroom complex from 5 greens.

They have also made me feel very positive and focused.

Regarding gut health I really recommend this 6 mushroom complex from 5 greens.

They have also made me feel very positive and focused.

That's intresting. Gut health and more focused. I might have to order some!

Back
Top Bottom