Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reaction Videos

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
Basically someone listens to a song they've never heard before and films their reaction. Sounds trite but I really enjoy them.
The best at it seems to be black American dudes as they are quite animated, especially when listening to old English white bands.
Here's a few fellas I watch regularly

The few of these I've seen have been done by people who aren't very funny, interesting or entertaining. That lets the format down a bit IMO.

I've just been watching a load of these the past few days. Many are dull but it's great when they actually know about music stuff and appreciate artists they wouldn't normally listen to:

There are also genuine reactions like this which are pretty funny:

Youtube was throwing me these the other day so I listened to quite a few different Americans listening to Straight Rhymes by Aitch....which I'd also never heard.

I reckon for new artists to have their music heard by a much wider audience it's great. Not really interested in people listening to old tunes though.

Last edited:
Been watching a few over the last while

Blind Wave
The Normies
The Reel Rejects
Lost in Vegas
Jamal AKA Jamal

Passes the time when I haven't got the energy to watch something more solid...

This is "black people like white music" isn't it?
Or: 'black people pretending to like white music via a trite money making format on YouTube.'

I don't believe most of the people in these videos are actually hearing the songs for the very time either. Still, if it makes money and makes people happy, why not.

Good for them for making money out of this lark and picking a song that's sure to garner attention, but I'm not convinced by the 'first listen' premise at all.

Mind you, that's a fucking great drum roll in.

Strangely enough, Phil Collins enjoyed huge popularity amongst some black R&B artists in the 2000s and was regularly cited as an important influence.

"We all think black R&B artists know what they're talking about. The first time I was aware of it was when I watched a documentary on Ice-T. This smug UK journalist looking at his record collection said, 'What's with all the Phil Collins stuff?' He said, 'Don't mess with my Phil.' I remember thinking, 'My God!' You feel like ringing people up and saying, 'Are you watching this?!'"[

Mind you, that's a fucking great drum roll in.

Strangely enough, Phil Collins enjoyed huge popularity amongst some black R&B artists in the 2000s and was regularly cited as an important influence.

In the 90s and early 2000s it became very fashionable amongst hipsters to bash old Phil, including perpetrating lies about him divorcing his wife by fax and saying he'd leave the country if Labour got in.

Look at the mild abuse I got on this 12 year old thread

my local squirrels hate him too
36K8V.jpg

Back
Top Bottom