Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ray Reardon R.I.P

I used to watch a lot of snooker and play a bit when younger (although moved on to pool because it's a bit more forgiving if you're not tall and don't have long reach :D ) it's something we were into as a family and my brother was quite a good amateur snooker player.
Reardon certainly seems to have had an interesting life, don't think I knew he was a copper at one point mind you!!!
Can't recall whether he was one of the players of that era that I met back in the day (via exhibition matches, and my brother being a bit into the snooker world), but he was certainly on our telly.

Aww such a shame, used to love watching him.

Also reminds me of a story about Mr. QofG's and a mate arguing with some people about who was the most famous Ray Reardon of Steve Redgrave?!

I don't remember him as a player, although he might've been on some of the early Big Breaks I saw as a seasoned pro.

He was already old when I first got into snooker in the early 80s. Part of the generation before the big money who had to be showmen as well as snooker players, so he always had one eye on the audience making sure they were enjoying it.

I remember him well, but only after he stopped winning World Championships (I think the last one was 78ish) and snooker wasn't a massive deal then - he clearly paved the way for others and was around a lot in the 80s when Snooker started kicking off - saw that interview about him being buried - he was very calm about it - he was fucking buried! RIP.

Back
Top Bottom