Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question: Electric Bike Conversion Kits - please share your knowledge!

girasol

Addicted to handstands!
So, I've been thinking about converting my push bike to an e-bike. What little I know so far is that I need a wheel or a motor that goes on wheel or pedal + battery.

Plus this 10 Best Electric Bike Conversion Kit With Battery - July 2023
But the top one there costs over £1k. I was thinking I don't want to spend more than £200!!! That might be naive of me. :D

So, I'm tapping into urban's real life experiences on this... Any recommendations and what to avoid, pitfalls, etc...

For example, A friend of mine told me yesterday about that kit he has: the battery has failed before and it wasn't covered by warranty so he just had to buy a new one. When the wheel stopped working he had to send it off to be fixed rather than just go into a shop to have it done... That put me off considerably, but also got me thinking there may be better kits out there?

I used the search before posting this but couldn't find any threads on the subject...

It's extremely naive of you to think you can get a conversion kit for less than £200.

What is the bike you are hoping to convert?

It's extremely naive of you to think you can get a conversion kit for less than £200.

There are a few on Amazon, but are they any good... see above...

This baby here, I can only find upside down photo of it at short notice :D (Carrera ladies hybrid with gears)

Attachments

• Bike.jpeg
    Bike.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 6
this looks affordable, but not sure I'd be able to convert it myself. I could give it a try I guess. Although I'd prefer it to be front wheel...

oh, I'd then need to get battery separately
That doesn't include the battery, and the cable that comes out of the hub motor doesn't have a connector (it's hard wired to the controller) which makes dealing with a rear wheel puncture a complete ballache and a job that even most shops will refuse

There are a few on Amazon, but are they any good... see above...

This baby here, I can only find upside down photo of it at short notice :D (Carrera ladies hybrid with gears)
You need to check the wheel size. Almost all of those cheap Amazon kits have a 26" wheel. Yours looks like it might be 700c which is a much bigger diameter. Check what it says on the tyre sidewall.

That doesn't include the battery, and the cable that comes out of the hub motor doesn't have a connector (it's hard wired to the controller) which makes dealing with a rear wheel puncture a complete ballache and a job that even most shops will refuse
Thanks, that's the sort of knowledge I'm after!

The other problem you will have is that your bike frame doesn't have enough space to fit a battery inside the main frame triangle so it would have to be fitted in a shonky manner on the top of the top tube, which means you will no longer have a step through as the battery will be in the way. And they're usually meant to be bolted onto the bottle cage bosses, which there aren't any of on top of the top tube.

Personally I’d avoid any of the cheap conversion kits unless you enjoy a) fire and b) riding a bike that no longer has brakes suitable for the power and c) riding a bike that may well now be illegal
ok, thanks... So what do you recommend as suitable? I'd really like real life experiences!

Ok. So a 26" kit isn't going to work because the wheel will be too small. Tbh the answer is don't do this, the bike is the wrong bike and the kits at the price you want to pay are horrendous and full of problems to make work even for a professional mechanic :D sorry.
Thanks - my husband suggested I just buy an e-bike instead - but I just can't justify the cost for the amount of cycling that I'd do - it's not like I'd be commuting regularly.

Something like this looks interesting, pricier - but looks elegant and simple Geeko Front - Electric Bike Kit - 100g.tech

Last edited:
Do you have a ride to work scheme? If you get a decent e-bike you may find journeys you never previously considered viable by bike become doable. (I'm a bit of an e-bike evangelist tbh, I think they have massive potential to solve city transport problems, but good e-bikes, not shonky conversions and those dodgy legal motorbikes so see around the place).

I was going to suggest just getting an e-bike that's been designed that way. Hopefully, all the componentry will cope with the extra power and weight and the battery and controller will fit well in the frame so you won't find yourself having to upgrade other things.

I know it's extra cost but you may find yourself using it more like Plumdaff said. It's not just about being able to cycle further or up steeper hills more easily but journeys are quicker. Yesterday, I realised I'd missed some things off my 'big' shop but didn't have much time to spare so got on the e-bike and cycled into town, bought the forgotten food items and cycled back, all in just over half an hour (including a quick chat with a neighbour on the way back).

Also, if you have the storage space and can afford to keep your traditional bike you've got a spare if something is wrong with the other one.

There are/were a number of front-wheel motor conversion kits that are in the £130-150 range but yes, I don't think they include a battery.

Usability-wise, although probably the easiest conversion, I think the front wheel kits are about the worst. I've heard a fair number of people complain they are not up to that much compared to rear wheel or centrally/crankshaft-mounted motors. Skipping/skidding/spinning is apparently an issue, compared to other positions where your body weight helps keep the rear driving wheel in good contact with the surface.

Another issue is what looks like the alloy forks on that bike. They can be more fragile compared to steel and more prone to breaking/ripping out under non-compressive stress. So if you are going to be putting a front motor on them, some sort of extra reinforcement with steel is wise. Several firms sell steel shoes/bracing items that can be clamped over the fork ends to reinforce the axle mounts.

I'll be watching this thread too as I have an old but reasonably well-specced bike that Mrs Fish's boy grew too tall for that I've been thinking about trying a conversion on.

Me and the OH have both got swytch kits for our bikes:

It says there's a waiting list but they seem to crop up on eBay fairly often (that's where I got mine and it was slightly cheaper than the advertised prices albeit still expensive). I got the slightly lower range one. I have to say it's excellent and makes the experience of riding my 12 year old city bike like I've got a new ebike. I live at the top of a massive steep hill and instead of having to huff and puff all the way up and sometimes get off and push, I can easily get up there no problem with only a bit of effort and being slightly out of breath at the top.

The range isn't amazing on the lower one but is fine for me. If I had to commute to central London regularly (12 mile round trip) I'd get the higher range one. However, for local journeys it's great and it means I'm cycling more and driving only very occasionally which can only be a good thing.

Only downside is you have to remember to take a bag with you wherever you go to take the battery off so it doesn't get nicked.

What sort of mileage are you looking to do? Do you have access to a cycle to work scheme?
as I said before, it's not for commuting. I'd be paying for it all. It'd be low mileage, 8 mile round trips a couple of times a week. But I could venture further occasionally.

Me and the OH have both got swytch kits for our bikes:
Swytch kits are great but adding one to my Brompton acted more as a gateway drug for me. Once I secured a space in a cyclehoop hanger I got myself a Gazelle ebike through my work cyclescheme. My regular commute is 14km each way so the extra comfort and range made sense for me, the Swytch might be good enough for what you need.

Should also mention that 1000/500 watt conversions are not legal for road use in the UK, and only off-road with landowners permission. At least not without them being treated like small motorbikes - licence, suitable protective gear and insurance, which I don't think anyone provides yet? - It is 250w maximum otherwise and a few other limitations, like no lock-outs for direct operation. You need to keep pedalling!

And the battery life tends to be pretty short on higher powered items. With a 250w kit, you will get a few hours use between charges.

Should also mention that 1000/500 watt conversions are not legal for road use in the UK, and only off-road with landowners permission. At least not without them being treated like small motorbikes - licence, suitable protective gear and insurance, which I don't think anyone provides yet? - It is 250w maximum otherwise and a few other limitations, like no lock-outs for direct operation. You need to keep pedalling!

And the battery life tends to be pretty short on higher powered items. With a 250w kit, you will get a few hours use between charges.
The other limitation is that motor-assistance can only propel you to 15.5mph (25kph), after that, it should cut out and you have to rely on muscle-power alone.

Yup, there are quite a few of these issues you need to get into before buying a conversion kit unless you want to make yourself a target for various charges. The no-lockout reg is easy enough to comply with if its on a separate circuit - most motors do have it but legal ones don't implement it, you simply blank-off the socket/connector and don't fit the switch/wiring but if it is switchable through the controller/display unit and can't be disabled, you could be in trouble. Same with 250W mode that some motors offer - You may be able to select it but switchable higher power motors are still illegal.

Last edited:
I've found it a bit of a minefield even with off-the-shelf e-bikes. Mine is supposedly 'compliant' as the motor is restricted to 250w, there's no throttle fitted to it and it does cut out above 15.5mph.

But, it was delivered with a thumb throttle in the box with instructions to fit it and I can (apparently) unscrew the cover of the controller and pull out a wire, or connect a wire (I can't remember which) and then delve into the factory settings to derestrict it.

When derestricted it releases more power (750w), I could ride it without pedalling (using the throttle) and wouldn't cut out at 15.5mph.

The only obvious sign that it wouldn't be compliant, if I was stationary, would be the thumb throttle.

If I was moving it might be a little more obvious if I wasn't pedalling but still doing 30mph plus anywhere but downhill!

I think the fact that I'd effectively have to modify it from the way it was delivered rather than just flick a switch or two just about keeps it compliant.

I've found it a bit of a minefield even with off-the-shelf e-bikes. Mine is supposedly 'compliant' as the motor is restricted to 250w, there's no throttle fitted to it and it does cut out above 15.5mph.

But, it was delivered with a thumb throttle in the box with instructions to fit it and I can (apparently) unscrew the cover of the controller and pull out a wire, or connect a wire (I can't remember which) and then delve into the factory settings to derestrict it.

When derestricted it releases more power (750w), I could ride it without pedalling (using the throttle) and wouldn't cut out at 15.5mph.

The only obvious sign that it wouldn't be compliant, if I was stationary, would be the thumb throttle.

If I was moving it might be a little more obvious if I wasn't pedalling but still doing 30mph plus anywhere but downhill!

I think the fact that I'd effectively have to modify it from the way it was delivered rather than just flick a switch or two just about keeps it compliant.
It’s perfectly legal as long as none of the illegal options are active/installed.

The reality is that almost nobody is getting fined - just look at the swathes of Deliveroo/Just Eat bikes out there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that actually complies with UK law.

Back
Top Bottom