Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Proper fish finger sandwich condiment?

What do you put on yours?

• Total voters
You all know I'm right. I'm just going to wait until you admit it. It won't take long, the cognitive dissonance of your position will eventually hit you and you'll be forced to alleviate it.

You nearly always are right, but not on this one. Butter is an ingredient with multiple uses, often used in sandwiches as well as a condiment (beef & horseradish, ham & mustard would both be unthinkable without it). It's far, far more than a condiment, and it performs a completely different function.

You're just wrong, sorry. :(

Butter in sandwiches is interchangeable with other lubricating substances - a deli in the States would offer you a choice between, say, butter, mayo and olive oil, at least the ones I went to did. Butter *can* be an ingredient in cooking, but it isn't in a sandwich, it's clearly not part of the food item itself but rather an extra. Cheese, similarly, can be an ingredient or a condiment - e.g. grated parmesan on pasta is a condiment, cheese in a cheese and pickle sandwich is an ingredient.

Butter *is* a condiment. It's an optional extra to change the texture and taste of a sandwich and it's not required as part of it at all. The British assumption that any sandwich must have butter/marg in it is seen as weird everywhere else in the world and you know what? they're right, it *is* weird.

Nothing wrong with butter of course. I'm debated whether butter or mayo is better here as a second choice after tartare sauce.

Surely it provides a waterproof layer so when you have something like a BLT, the butter stops the tomato making the bread soggy? Therefore butter IS a necessity.

Brown bread, three fish fingers (ideally Findus crostinis but dont think they make them anymore), Kerrygold butter (definitely needs butter), either ketchup, mayonnaise or tartare sauce, and cheddar.

Kerrygold butter is shit.

Guernsey butter is much better.

Surely it provides a waterproof layer so when you have something like a BLT, the butter stops the tomato making the bread soggy? Therefore butter IS a necessity.

That is not a necessity for me, but even if it were, other fatty products would serve just as well if not better - margarine or mayonnaise or oil for instance.

kerrygold is alright

noting extravagant but not horrible

what gets me is that it seems that kerrygold isn't actually realted to the big creameries in kerry who belong to the kerry group and is just using the kerry name due to the suposed nature of kerry being a milk farming comunity (this at least is fairly true)

Ketchup everytime.

On a side note is £6 to expensive for a fish finger sandwich? That was what I paid here http://www.theslaughteredlambpub.com/#/food-drink/

Seemed a rip off to me but everyone else thought I was being a skinflint.

It is a famous fish finger sandwich though. For the same price as their non-celebrity sandwiches.

Yeah - rip off. You don't even get chips with it. That's what you get for going to poncey pretentious places though. :p

As self-proclaimed "Keeper of the Authentic Fish Finger Butty Recipe" I declare that the ingredients for this are as follows:

White sliced bread (medium or thick cut)
Fish fingers
Butter
Tomato ketchup

Has to be salad cream for me. Mayonnaise at a push. Never ketchup, which I only really like with chips.

As self-proclaimed "Keeper of the Authentic Fish Finger Butty Recipe" I declare that the ingredients for this are as follows:

White sliced bread (medium or thick cut)
Fish fingers
Butter
Tomato ketchup

The oracle has spoken. Thank you fishfinger, you are correct of course.

tartare, mayo, ketchup, hp, salad cream, in that order. but what fish fingers are they? butter or marge? questions, questions. this shit really matters though.

sorry, hadn't read all of thread. thick cut white bread (tesco's is good), full fat salted butter (loads, so it melts and drips all over the place), 4x bird's eye cod fillet fishy fingers, salt'n'pepper, little bit of tartare or mayo. nom, bigtime.

sorry, hadn't read all of thread. thick cut white bread (tesco's is good), full fat salted butter (loads, so it melts and drips all over the place), 4x bird's eye cod fillet fishy fingers, salt'n'pepper, little bit of tartare or mayo. nom, bigtime.

This is correct.

I love the idea of 'proper' accompaniment to fish fingers. it should be ketchup. some chips and a side order of baked beans. You're trying to give a kids meal staple a ponce makeover.

Besides, it's all a bit passe, isn't it? Fishfinger sarnies (and twiglet salad to boot) were on the menu at the Social a decade ago. The frightfully correct types will be glad to know that they offered ketchup or salad cream.

Had a not-entirely-serious argument about this in the pub yesterday after one of the chaps started eating packets of ketchup and another of our party described it as "council house sauce". Eventually we decided to club together and commission one of those "real dolls" with one tit full of ketchup & one full of brown sauce - refillable.

It was that kind of afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom