Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Proper fish finger sandwich condiment?

What do you put on yours?

• Total voters

big eejit

She looks like Alan Gilzean
Fish fingers ensconced in soft crusty white bread is obviously a classic dish, but what do you put on yours?

I've been discussing with friends, and I won't sway your vote by telling the right answer, but please vote and prove me right.

NONE (which you missed off your poll). Thick sliced white bloomer loaf, thick butter, fish fingers. Nothing else.

Brown bread, three fish fingers (ideally Findus crostinis but dont think they make them anymore), Kerrygold butter (definitely needs butter), either ketchup, mayonnaise or tartare sauce, and cheddar.

I'd go with this I reckon. Sometimes you don't need a condiment.

Butter is a condiment though - it has a distinct taste and you don't need it. "None" would be just bread and fishfingers.

SPOILER: the true answer is tartare sauce by the way, with mayonnaise second.

Butter is a condiment though - it has a distinct taste and you don't need it. "None" would be just bread and fishfingers.

tartare sauce probably does have the edge over the others cos its a bit like ketchup, mayonaisse and salad cream all in one.

Fair enough - I choose butter.

I fucking hate mayonnaise, although lately I've leaned to not mind it in small amounts, since it's on like all the sandwiches you can buy in shops I got used to it.

I suppose you're right, I just don't think of it that way because I always butter my bread - in my head it's a necessity rather than an extra! I made a mistake once though by using both butter and mayo in sandwich, but it's the mayo that I ditched the next time...

Homemade white bread, clove of garlic wiped on it before adding butter and then a small scrape of mayo, three fish fingers. Yummy

Butter *is* a condiment. It's an optional extra to change the texture and taste of a sandwich and it's not required as part of it at all. The British assumption that any sandwich must have butter/marg in it is seen as weird everywhere else in the world and you know what? they're right, it *is* weird.

Nothing wrong with butter of course. I'm debated whether butter or mayo is better here as a second choice after tartare sauce.

Butter *is* a condiment. It's an optional extra to change the texture and taste of a sandwich and it's not required as part of it at all. The British assumption that any sandwich must have butter/marg in it is seen as weird everywhere else in the world and you know what? they're right, it *is* weird.

Nothing wrong with butter of course. I'm debated whether butter or mayo is better here as a second choice after tartare sauce.

la la la I'm not listening

No, butter is a means of waterproofing the bread so that the contents don't go soggy - and for reducing dryness if the contents are too dry for this to be a problem. Not a condiment.

Butter-no-condiment is fine, but you really need some vinegar for that. Vinegar also works well if you're going for mayo because you've run out of tartare sauce.

I can't believe the "butter is a condiment" faction that's been unearthed on this thread. In fact I'm tempted to write WTF.

There, you've made me do it. Condiment my arse.

You all know I'm right. I'm just going to wait until you admit it. It won't take long, the cognitive dissonance of your position will eventually hit you and you'll be forced to alleviate it.

Back
Top Bottom