Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Preparing saltfish

nightowl

Another day on that hamster wheel we call life
download.jpeg
I know you're supposed to soak the massive chunks overnight but anyone know how long to soak and then boil the smaller cutlets like these you can buy in your average supermarket? Don't want to overdo it so they lose all flavour. Planning to mix them with some chickpeas and eggs afterwards.

View attachment 368704
I know you're supposed to soak the massive chunks overnight but anyone know how long to soak and then boil the smaller cutlets like these you can buy in your average supermarket? Don't want to overdo it so they lose all flavour. Planning to mix them with some chickpeas and eggs afterwards.
I'd change the water twice in 24 hours regardless of the size. I don't recommend boiling it to get the salt out. Then rinse the fish off.
Once done boil gently try 5- 10 minutes- once it flakes away easily it's done or just go ahead and fry it up.

I'd change the water twice in 24 hours regardless of the size. I don't recommend boiling it to get the salt out. Then rinse the fish off.
Once done boil gently try 5- 10 minutes- once it flakes away easily it's done or just go ahead and fry it up.
Boiling certainly works if you are in a hurry, but you do need to be careful not to boil all the salt out.

Saltfish, done right, is one of the best foods on the planet.

Get it wrong and you end-up with salty cardboard :oops:

One of the best meals I had in Portugal was also one of the simplest... saltfish roasted with olive oil and garlic

Back
Top Bottom