Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Portobello Road faces hideous corporate redevelopment

editor

hiraethified
portobello1.jpg

portobello.jpg

Fuck's sake. Look at this vile, life-sucking proposal.

More than 1,000 people have signed a petition to scrap plans for a ‘revolting’ redevelopment of one of London’s most treasured streets.

Angry campaigners say the proposal for Portobello Road ‘sucks London’s blood dry’.

Under the plans, put together by West Way Trust, the redevelopment would focus on four areas: Portobello Green Arcade, Portobello Market Canopy; Acklam Road car park and; Acklam village.

It could see vintage stalls moving into flashy, modern units similar to those in Westfield shopping centres.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/12/londo...velopment-with-westfield-style-shops-5101200/

My (leased from Council) garage block are due to be removed to create a trendy daily office deskspace rent "Hub" thing for hipster media creatives:oops:. The sheer, earth shattering incompetence and glacial approach to urgency (and efficiency) is the only thing preventing steamrolling the project through despite huge support against it

The application meeting was basically a half hour diatribe of concensus about how bad the idea was, only for it to get officially minuted as "generally positive". Made my blood boil at the time and not much I feel I can do when you're up against a Local Authority that just don't give a fuck.:mad::mad::mad:

I wonder what that might mean for NHC in that part of the Westway if it does get re-developed?

(It's already uncertain what will happen to Good Times and Sancho Panza what with the luxury flat development happening in their old spots)

I wonder what that might mean for NHC in that part of the Westway if it does get re-developed?

(It's already uncertain what will happen to Good Times and Sancho Panza what with the luxury flat development happening in their old spots)

The bits as covered by this proposal are pretty much all cordoned off from the public come the Sunday and Monday. The day will come when the grimly logical option to either water the whole thing down to obscurity or move it to a park (especially one that can be monetised:hmm:) will happen one day, though I dare say the Westfieldification (and that bloody raised restaurant - ffs!) will gentrify the area and increase the local opposition to the "wrong 'uns ruining their lovely area for a whole weekend" and therefore speed the process once more.

Like I said, the textbook underhandedness of the Local Authority, and weakness of the political (Labour) councilor to represent any opposition, makes me fear that this is all a bit of a fait accompli(sp).

Back
Top Bottom