Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Player of the Tournament - Nominations.

Stanley Edwards

1967 Maserati Mistral.
R.I.P.
You can nominate upto 3 players in a single post, or multiple posts now, or after the final.

I start with Pavard. In the shadow of others he has been utterly brilliant.

All depends on Sunday, but I would imagine it is a straight choice between Modric and Mbappe.

Bit rough on Hazard, Varane and Kante but it always seems to go to a flair player*(ruling out Kante and Varane) and usually to someone who plays in the final (ruling out Hazard).

*with the exception of the baldy Italian maestro Cannavaro. What a player he was, dragging Italy through game after game.

I'm not sure anyone's stood out as defining the tournament for me. That could change tomorrow, of course.

I'd give Mbappe best young player of the tournament but unless he produces a man of the match performance in the final Modric for me has been far more influential and consistent as has Hazard who imo had Belgium reached the final would have walked it .

Anyone formulated a fantasy XI for the tournament? Here's my go:

Courtois
Varane, Godín, Vertonghen
Trippier, Modric, Kanté, Laxalt
Mbappé, Lukaku, Hazard

Am I overlooking anyone obvious? Lukaku wasn't great throughout, for example. Cavani instead? Kane?

Kane won the golden boot so I'd say you missed someone obvious :)

I'd have had Kane after the group stage. In the semi and play-off he looked somewhat off the pace though, perhaps carrying a knock.

Plus beneath that stat were three penalties and the fluky back-heal.

Kante
Mbappe
Modric

but in terms of establishing themselves at this tournament:

Pavard
Beiranvand
Pickford

Mbappe for me was so exiting to watch.
Hazard was brilliant but I've seen his disappearing act enough times too.
Trippier proved himself a great player in this tournament.

I've watched the final 3 times now - it was worth it. A great final, but still no real super star, which is no bad thing.

Someone with mote web time than myself needs to collate the nominees and create a voting thread for U75's player of the tournament.

I am sticking with Pavard.

Kane won the golden boot so I'd say you missed someone obvious :)

I watched the Colombia game today on the iplayer, as I'd missed it live, and I reckon Kane would get in as the CF. He was weaker against Croatia and Belgium, but his hold-up play was excellent against the very good pairing of Mina and Sanchez.

Back
Top Bottom