Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pirate rehearsal studios in Camden - where the owner checks your bag for alcohol and demands Photo ID

editor

hiraethified
Well here's a rehearsal studio to avoid at all costs.

A friend of mine wrote of their recent experience:

So we had a rehearsal last night at Pirate studios in Camden. On entry you are met by a gentleman who insists on searching your bags and in the event you have any alcohol about you it is confiscated (I’m surprised they didn’t March you out the back and ritually execute you) as there is a strict no alcohol in the building rule. Following this you are required to present photo ID to prove who you are!

It’s a rehearsal studio FFS, I have never in my life encountered such fascistic behaviour at this kind of facility. Pirate can poke their studio up their arses in future, this is one band who won’t be coming back.
Suggestions for decent, fairly central rehearsal studios are welcome.

By the way, we are seasoned pros at this kind of thing so we managed to sneak our beers in anyway so nerr

The studios where we did a pretend rehearsal / photoshoot for a company crimble card were somewhat similar ...

I don't drink etc when I'm driving so defo had nothing with me, but I can't say the same for the rest of my co-workers.
Pretty sure that they managed to smuggle something in - and that is with ignoring the "props" like 'empty' beer bottles we had been allowed to use !

Assuming it's like the Leeds' Pirate Studios, I imagine they're facing similar issues: People here hire them for 'after parties'. You finish the night, head to Pirate Studios with all your mates, and some tinnies etc, and can blast the tunes out as long as you like - it's open 24h and soundproofed, so perfect for this kind of thing. They have decks you can hire, or you can bring your own gear.

I think they got in trouble due to drugs on site or something. Can't quite remember now, but they put a stop to these parties.

I recorded in a few studios in Hackney in the mid-90s. As well as recording facilities, they sold Stella, weed and hash oil (if you hadn’t brought your own) - as any studio worth its salt with any appreciation of the creative process should know. Wtf is with studios today? 🙄

The rehearsal room we used in the late 90s (on an island in the Thames) was only accessible if you were willing to put up with the permanently stoned ramblings of the guy that drove your gear across the bridge in his tiny van.

Back
Top Bottom