Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Photoshop oil paint.

xsunnysuex

Life is a horizontal fall.
Running photoshop oil paint filter. Does anyone know what I need to look for in a laptop? I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad.
The oil filter is greyed out. Everything suggested on google hasn't worked. Probably my graphics card?
Thinking I might need to look for a different laptop. But no idea what I need.

Running photoshop oil paint filter. Does anyone know what I need to look for in a laptop? I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad.
The oil filter is greyed out. Everything suggested on google hasn't worked. Probably my graphics card?
Go to Photoshop Preferences > Performance > Advanced Settings.Make sure "Use OpenCL" is checked.If it is greyed out, then it means your version of OpenCL is not supported and that is the reason of Oil Paint filter being greyed out.

To find out what display adapter you have, type 'Device Manager' in the Windows start search. Open the device manager and double-click on 'Display adapters'. This should open to tell you what display adapters you have. If it's only Intel (built into the system) you might be out of luck, but you could try updating the driver to make sure you have the latest. Right-click the display adapter and select 'Properties', then click on the Drivers tab in the properties dialog. This should give you the date of the driver and the option to check for an update.

display.png

If this is all up-to-date then you probably do need a new(er) laptop. Make sure you look for one with a separate graphics display adapter (it will probably still have a built-in Intel one as well).

To find out what display adapter you have, type 'Device Manager' in the Windows start search. Open the device manager and double-click on 'Display adapters'. This should open to tell you what display adapters you have. If it's only Intel (built into the system) you might be out of luck, but you could try updating the driver to make sure you have the latest. Right-click the display adapter and select 'Properties', then click on the Drivers tab in the properties dialog. This should give you the date of the driver and the option to check for an update.

View attachment 330429

If this is all up-to-date then you probably do need a new(er) laptop. Make sure you look for one with a separate graphics display adapter (it will probably still have a built-in Intel one as well).
Shows this. So guess I'm out of luck. So annoying. Thank you for your help.
1656928339844.png

You could try looking here, just in case Windows isn't finding the latest driver:

But otherwise I think you're out of luck. Laptops with dedicated graphics cards tend to start at £500 and go up (way up).

Here's some with Radeon or nVidia graphics cards:

My Dell laptop (Radeon) cost just under £650 and I found a really good deal from Dell at over £100 off. They've got quite a few deals at the moment:

Well it's got a Radeon graphic card, although I couldn't guarantee that specific one would work. But it's only got 128GB SSD, which once you've got Windows, Photoshop and a couple of other apps will leave precious little space for storage locally. And it's only got 8GB Ram which is very small for running PS. I'd say 256GB plus 16GB was the bare minimum and ideally you'd want more.

Well it's got a Radeon graphic card, although I couldn't guarantee that specific one would work. But it's only got 128GB SSD, which once you've got Windows, Photoshop and a couple of other apps will leave precious little space for storage locally. And it's only got 8GB Ram which is very small for running PS. I'd say 256GB plus 16GB was the bare minimum and ideally you'd want more.
Thanks. Will forget it. All other bits of photoshop work. Sods law the one bit I'm most interested in doesn't work. :mad::rolleyes:

RoyReed I know you prob don't give a toss. So please humour me haha!
Just wanted to update you. I managed to get the oil filter in photoshop to work. By downloading a very old copy of photoshop. Very happy now. I've been so disappointed I couldn't do painting effects. Quite sad just how much this has pleased me. 😂😂
Just see the difference it makes.

1658238450210.png

1658238464281.png

I didn't know Adobe let you go back in versions any more. You must have gone back to a version before GPS was required.

Big improvement to the photo, especially the eyes.

may not be relevant, but mum-tat has an ancient version of photoshop, and occasionally bits of it (or the whole thing) don't work, sometimes after a windows update.

doing a 'restart' of the computer does (from W10 onwards) do more than the normal shutdown / turn on again, and usually cures it.

may not be relevant, but mum-tat has an ancient version of photoshop, and occasionally bits of it (or the whole thing) don't work, sometimes after a windows update.

doing a 'restart' of the computer does (from W10 onwards) do more than the normal shutdown / turn on again, and usually cures it.
It's my crap laptop. It's wasn't good enough to run the photo action.
Luckily the older version works. 😁

Back
Top Bottom