Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photographers: let's hear about your set ups!

editor

hiraethified
Seeing as we're always getting threads here asking about what gear to buy, I think it might be a informative to add a 'photographer's profile' to the photo section of the site, where urban snappers can list their gear and recommendations.

Feel free to waffle on in depth and add any links, where relevant

ABOUT YOUR GEAR

Primary camera:

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc:

What you like and don't like about the camera:

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for):

Plus and minus points of your other cameras:

Ideal/dream camera set up:

Previous cameras owned:

Photo software used:

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee):

Computer gear/scanner:

ABOUT YOU

What kind of photos do you take:

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them):

Favourite photo sites:

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable)

Primary camera: Nikon 885 with 1.0gb card
Tripod yes
Dislike: ]Slow start up. Get some noise when taking 2048 x 1536 size can be fixed with Photoshop but still a pain

Missed out on a D70 when my folks were in Japan. camera/lens/case haggeled down to £295 but they decided Im in to must debt so didn't :rolleyes: So a D70 or Rebel. Rebel is smaller and take bigger images.

Previous cameras owned:
Happy snapper: Konica pop supper/Olympus newpic AF200/Olympus Newpic 600

Photo software used:
Photoshop and EXIF info. digital shutter speed aperture focal length flash fired (yes or no) camera setting (most applied to consumer digitals) white balance settings (for digitals) windows only, 808kb in size Thanks to Mike P

ABOUT YOU
Nature / Tek Fave program Countryfile.
Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them:
Martin Parr is only name I know seen doc. bit of a nut taking 1000 of photos parking bays

Favourite photo sites:
iphotoforum.com

Example of your fave pic:
One
Yellow
Sun Rise Sun Set

I vote on u75 monthy theam for the Image not who taken it

fuji finepix 2800 with a 32MB card and a fourty year old slr pratika

combined price is about £50 and its paid for its self more than a hundred times over so am happy :)

- What you like and don't like about the camera:

startup times takes an age, and its a bit crap in low light - the slr I can't fault. its built like a challenger 2.

'real' photography, and not photography through saturation, where the shot is very premeditated (i.e digital cameras with 1GB cards)

sentimental value :)

leica

Previous cameras owned:

Some Canon pile of shit

Photo software used:

Adobe Photoshop CS2

Computer gear/scanner:

Epson 10600, A1 Tally Flatbed Scanner, and Nikon 35mm scanner

ABOUT YOU

All my photos tend to be related to music or an emotion and or mood, but you'd never be able to tell. So I guess you'd say conceptual?

Discussed this to death on previous threads :p

alfred eisenstadt, diosneau - simply because I can't photograph people very well and they can!

Favourite photo sites:

deviantart.com has some amazing photographers, its just finding them amongst all the kids.

o2 kiosk

Firky said:
fuji finepix 2800 with a 32MB card and a fourty year old slr pratika

combined price is about £50 and its paid for its self more than a hundred times over so am happy
There's not quite enough info in there to make up a profile.....

Primary camera: Nikon D70

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: Nikkor 18-70mm DX, Sigma 70-300mm Super Macro APO II, Nikon 50mm f/1.8. Velbon CX540 tripod, 1Gb Sandisk Extreme III CF card, some other bits and pieces, like a reversing ring for the 50mm, and a Cokin polarizer.

What you like and don't like about the camera: Like the excellent control, ease of use, quality pictures and manual control over every aspect. It's well worth the money. Didn't like the increased post-processing work that's inherent with a DSLR at first, but now I've got good at it, and refined my workflow. Don't like the occasional dust issues. That's about it really.

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Olympus D560Z, theoretically for when a DSLR is too big/heavy/impractical, but it's been gathering dust for some time.

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: See above. Good in that it's light, very cheap and excellent results for the money. Bad in that it's rubbish at focusing in low-light, and like all compacts, no aperture/DOF control etc, so no real flexibility. Does the job for standard holiday snaps but that's it really. Out of date now.

Ideal/dream camera set up: What I have now but with a few better lenses and a bit more accessories-wise, I think. Would have to learn to improve my photography a little more before equipment became the limiting factor.

Previous cameras owned: As above, plus some cheap Vivitar film effort. Also had another D560Z, but it went wrong. Took that apart and blew myself up with - it says here - about 350V. Ouch.

Photo software used: Photoshop CS2, Autostitch, Autopano, Nikon Capture 4.4.

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): None, apart from Menalto's Gallery 2 for the website.

Computer gear/scanner: Laptop, card reader, external hard disk caddy with standard 3.5" HDD in.

What kind of photos do you take: Anything I can, from the kitchen to the world! I seem to prefer urban stuff; landscapes and portraits aren't so much my thing.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): Not really got any; enjoyed recent exhibition by Martin Parr, but prefer seeing other amateur work with the same kind of kit, to be honest.

Favourite photo sites: dpreview, TrekEarth maybe?

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable): No idea what my favourite is, and if I move stuff about, the link will break anyway :D You can find the other stuff on my site :cool:

Primary camera: Canon EOS 300D

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: Yes

What you like and don't like about the camera: Allows rather large photos with the standard lens compared to previous cameras. Lenses for the EF series are somewhat expensive for a student such as myself, camera has too many features, no matter how many times I go through the manual, i'm still ending up confused :)

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Pentax SLR - all film based work - looking at buying Nikon FM2

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: Old and knackered basically :)

Ideal/dream camera set up: Nikon FM2 with several lens, more kit for 300D, canon digital camcorder.

Previous cameras owned: Olympus C300 Zoom (digital) - Several Pentax slr bodies and a minolta.

Photo software used: Photoshop CS

Photo organisation/management software used: ACDSee

Computer gear/scanner: Scanner on second computer - looking at buying film reader, A3 photo printer and scanner.

ABOUT ME

What kind of photos do you take: Digital - Colour & Black and white, industrial, dereliction, along with general photos. Sunsets for colour. SLR - Black and White entirely, same industrial type scenes.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): James Nachtwey, Don McCullin. Possibly the best more recent documentary photographers around, just check their work out.

Homepage/example of your fave pic Morris the Minor

ABOUT YOUR GEAR

Primary camera:
nikon F501

all except flashgun

i love it, i love it, i love it, it's a bit heavy but i love it

various holga's, diana, polaroid, home made pinhole

plus - they're very cheap
minus - they're very cheap so fall apart easily
plus - they're very cheap so cost almost nothing to replace

a leica i guess. and a very expensive MF if i could afford it, or one of those handy little fuji things
oh actually i'd like one of those old MF seagulls

Previous cameras owned:
a couple of old pentax's

Photo software used:
none

no idea what you're talking about

Computer gear/scanner:
a crappy old laserjet scanner

ABOUT YOU

depends on my mood

diane arbus, lee miller, various others

Favourite photo sites:

i'm quite fond of these 2
ghosts of venice
white peaks

Primary camera: Contax RX2.

Essential kit is simply a camera, a tripod and a lens hood but...

A big backpack contains;
4 camera bodies.
4 55mm Zeiss lenses.
Small Manfrotto tripod.
Filters (polariser, graduated neutral density, 8 stop reducing ND, 3 red, 3 blue, 3 yellow).
Can of compressed air. Cloths and brushes.
Cable releases.
Flash.
Reflectors and difusers.
Spare camera batteries and flash batteries.
Lots of rolls of Kodak VC160, Fuji Neopan 100 and Ilford Delta 400.

What you like and don't like about the camera: Solid build. Ergonomic design. Top quality lens.

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Contax Aria (different film)

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: Great 35mm SLR with built in motordrive. Superb metering. 100% reliable.

Ideal/dream camera set up: 10" x 8" Field camera.

Photo software used: GIMP. Fireworks.

ABOUT YOU

ART. Photography is bloody well ART! No one can tell me it's not.
I try to take photographs like no others. By creating a very 'pure' scene that ignores inconsequencial clutter I hope to encourage the viewer to contemplate what they see in their own time. It don't always work.

Thomas Struth for creating sublime landscapes from an apparent chaos.

Favourite photo sites: See links from my website.

www.silverbites.co.uk

Recent favourite
Not so recent favourite

Click on the table tennis photo for an enlargement and get into it! Or, decide I'm a mad fool who's wasting film and time photographing rubbish. Tar.

Stanley Edwards said:
It don't always work.

Ain't it the truth!!! :D :D :D ,,,top sense of reasoning Stan,,,I like ya attitude! :)

*I'll be back when lappy batt is more charged to tap out me thangs...btw nice idea Mr Ed.

Primary camera:Nikon F80 - still using film

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc:Sigma 28-105, Nikon 70-300, Velbon tripod, Nikon SB-28 main flash, Nikon SB-29s ring flash, off camera ttl chord, nikon wireless slave, usual gambit of filters

What you like and don't like about the camera:Like practically everything about it hence reticent to move to digital. Dislike lack of instant feedback you would get using digital - particularly useful in multiple flash set-up. You've got to understand that I'm a Nikon boy and I'm deeply, deeply in love with it.

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Olympus OM10 fitted with standard zuiko 50mm lens. Have the manual adaptor to make it shutter speed priority. This is my everyday portable fun camera. I love it too.

Plus and minus points of your other cameras:Like using OM10 because it's a really fast lens plus the fixed focal length forces me to compose and look for the compostion. Back to basics and all that. Small enough to go with me everywhere. Picture quality is superb if you get focus right.

Ideal/dream camera set up: I'd probably keep what I've got but add a D70 to it and a proper, high power sunpak ring flash. I use the ring flashes in the same way that Martin Parr does - not for Macro.

Previous cameras owned: It's all I've ever owner - started with the OM10.

Photo software used: Photoshop CS

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): Stuck in the dark ages of film so it's all filed.

Computer gear/scanner: Minolta Dimage Dual Scan 3, Mac, PC

ABOUT YOU

What kind of photos do you take: I do art stuff and exhibit. It's all really tight, tableau stuff, little room for interpretation, mainly colour, in your face, bit odd, hopefully humourous. Paint with light a lot too. There's a whole lot of me in every picture - I can't seperate regardless of the subject matter/style/content.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): Martin Parr - I've been trying to emulate his style but can't do it. The man just has the ultimate eye for social commentary and boy he knows how to use colour properly. Juergen Teller too - fashion photographer who went art. Very stylised, humble and intimate.

Favourite photo sites: File Magazine some really interesting stuff

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable) www.photo-sight.co.uk . Ooh difficult to choose, there's not many on there as I'm really picky about what I put up. Probably have to be the Sheep - obvious one really. You know many people have asked me did I have to dye the Sheep !!!!

Primary camera: Nikon D100

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: 24mm2.8 35mm2.8 45mmP 50mm1.2 85mm1.4 all nikon manual, Metz CT45, benbo, 2x1gbmicrodrive.

What you like and don't like about the camera:like the fact that its digital hate the sensor for being too small

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): FM2 and FM for if the digi stops workin, Mamyia press with 6x9rfh for higher quality.

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: fm2 is faultless, mamyia press has no polaroid back

Ideal/dream camera set up: fm2 with 20mp digi back

Previous cameras owned: too many to list

Photo software used: Photoshop 5 le (lol) nikon view/capture

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): None

Computer gear/scanner: g4ibook epson printer with CIS

What kind of photos do you take: weird land/cityscapey abstract shite

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): none

Favourite photo sites: none

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable): sorry no have yet

:D

<feel free to delete/move if you want to keep this post purely to stats>

Robster970 said:
Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): Martin Parr - I've been trying to emulate his style but can't do it. The man just has the ultimate eye for social commentary and boy he knows how to use colour properly.
Just been to his exhibition as I said, at La Maison Européenne de la Photographie in Paris. Really enjoyed it; my favourite was some 80s woman, who really should be called June, pictured with her not-so-lovely decor. The caption reads "When I looked at the wallpaper, and the wallpaper looked at me, we instantly fell in love"!

It was very interesting watching the reactions of the French, especially with stuff like the early 70s (?) Calais beer run, with one lad pissing at the camera. Lovely - quite embarrassing to think that people may well make the assumption (perhaps correctly!) that this is typical of English life today :oops:

The Northern stuff was quite cringeworthy too; I was an 80s child but there were still too many memories in there. I also enjoyed his tongue-in-cheek photos from a town called Boring, e.g. 'Boring Elementary School' and 'Boring Waste Treatment Facility' :D

I do video not stills but thought I would contribute anyway.

ABOUT YOUR GEAR
Primary camera: Sony vx9000e, like dsr200 but no xlrs

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: Sony Lens, Vinten pro5, builders lights, sony c76 shotgun mic, sony levallier, pag on camera light, 0.5 wide convertor.

What you like and don't like about the camera: Ease of use as shoudermount, bit noisy.

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): None

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: N/A

Ideal/dream camera set up: The new small shoulder mount hi def camera from JVC.

Previous cameras owned: V cheap panasonic DV

Photo software used: Sony Vegas 5, vdub.

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): N/A

Computer gear/scanner: XP3000, 1 terabyte of drives.

ABOUT YOU

What kind of photos do you take: Video of stuff going on, starting comedy and drama.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): George Lucas, Mr Wilkinson my primary school teacher.

Favourite photo sites: Atom films.

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable) www.zaskarfilms.com

ABOUT YOUR GEAR

Shooter:

Canon EOS 5

Glass:

Sigma
17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX,
Canon
28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Mk1 USM,
100mm f/2.8 Macro USM,
50mm f/1.8 MkII
100-300mm f/4-5.6 USM <----- barely ever used
22-55mm f/4-5.6 <----- no longer used

Light:

Canon 540EZ Flashgun
Metz 45-CT4 & 45-CL4
Sekonic L-358 Flash meter

Tripod: Cobra - old as, me nan gave it me

Film: Velvia 50 & 100, Provia 400, ILFORD Delta 100 & 400, kodak TMAX 100

What I like about camera: has quick motor drive (5fps), pc socket, spot meter, 'nuff nearly-pro features. Big and chunky, nice fit in my hands. Easy to use, 'nuff control. Eye-controlled depth of field preview. Excellent camera compared to some of today's, despite being over 12 years old. And the velvia inside it is pretty good too. I can use it to get girls to sleep with me because the camera makes me look like some sort of 'professional'.
Dislike: Too many girls want to sleep with me because they think I'm some sort of 'professional'. Plasticy as f**k, doesn't feel sturdy, not weather sealed (but neither are my lenses so I wouldn't be able to shoot in the rain anyway), all them crappy 'scene' modes that you find on bottom end cameras, crap built-in flash (at the expense of which I would prefer bigger viewfinder) motor drive not fast enough in continuous focus mode, no separate depth of field preview button, and the possibility of my command dial breaking (notorious EOS 5 weakness).

Secondary camera: Canon EOS RT wot me uncle gave me, except it's broke. Pentax ME Super, seems to work but ain't tried a film in it yet so dunno if it works, and rewind knob broke the other day

(eos rt) Plus - pellicle mirror therefore no mirror blackout during shooting, fast film advance. Minus - it's broke, and the in-built meter is shit and nigh on impossible to use
(pentax me super) plus: everything minus: nothing

Ideal/dream camera set up: Canon EOS 1V with plenty of L zooms and primes, Hasselblad with nuff lenses, and that manual, mechanical Nikon SLR (the latest one). Digital version of 1V HS - 10fps for 36 frames, massive resolution allowing A0 prints, preset film settings selectable from list in camera (e.g. provia, velvia, astia, t-max, delta 400, kodak portra vc, kodak e100 etc.) etc.

Previous cameras owned: Pentax MZ-M with 35-80 lens

Photo software used: Adobe Photoshop CS,

Photo organisation/management software used: iView MediaPro

Computer gear/scanner: completely broken iBook G4 w/768MB RAM, Nikon LS-50 scanner

ABOUT YOU

What kind of photos do you take: shit ones - BMX riding, festivals, landscapes, music (gigs), performing arts, portraits, other stuff (read as 'pictures of naked women, posing indecently')

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): You know what, I don't even know. I like Vanley Burke's work - black and white stuff documenting life in handsworth, his studies of 'black people in britain' http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=2218&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=10596
I also like that other guy, whose name I can't remember.

Favourite photo sites: photo.net, dpreview, and lots of photographers' portfolio sites which went down with the Apple ship

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable): error

Primary camera:
Canon a80 Digi

Wonky tripod

Sturdy and takes good pics, it survived being chucked around during 8 months travelling, no tmuch i dont like about it

Looking at goign Digi SLR but need to do some more investigation

Previous cameras owned:
Canon a70

Photo software used:
photoshop

Adobe Adobe Photoshop Album

Computer gear/scanner:
Nowt

ABOUT YOU

Travel Photography

Favourite photo sites:

www.art.com or www.fujiphotobox.co.uk

www.urbanjellyfish.com

ABOUT YOUR GEAR

Primary camera:
Nikon D70

28-80 sigma lens, imagetank storage system

It's not got that feeling of film :D

A 30 year old minolta xg-1 slr, LC-A with coloursplash flash, fed 5

No minuses although they do look like they came out of a car boot sale

Gold leica or a hassleblad medium/large format

Previous cameras owned:
canon k100 crappy advantix things

Photo software used:
Photshop cs2

Computer gear/scanner:
HP all in one printer copier scanner
10gb image tank portable hd

ABOUT YOU

Anything I like the look of at the time

can't remember his name but the guy who did the large scale things

Favourite photo sites:
www.lomography.com

Cos I like the colours and saturation :oops:

Primary camera:
Feeling like a mindless sheep I bought the camera du jour of this little forum: Sony DSC-V3

None, just use available light and try to stand still.

Pros: feels solid, fits in a jacket pocket, lens seems good
Cons: prefer really small cameras to always carry around, slow start up

Olympus Mju digital, fits in a jean's pocket

Have quite a few 35mm cameras now gathering dust. As an amateur who rarely makes large prints the advantages of film are negligible and the disadvantages huge.

Happy with what I've got.

Previous cameras owned:
Used an Olympus XA for almost 20 years, also a Rollei 35 for a while. Both are exceptionally good compacts.

Photo software used:
Love using Photoshop.

Recently started using iView MediaPro, good so far.

Computer gear/scanner:
Apple Mac G4, fairly crappy SmartScan 2700 for negs, thoroughly crappy Umax Astra flatbed scanner.

ABOUT YOU

Colours, geometric shapes, mostly quirky things found in cities. Also love portraits, though don't take enough of them. Particularly like natural lighting.

Always mean to study the masters more but never get around to it. Some of Martin Parr's work I like a lot. But recently I've been most influenced by others from here! Skim is a great critic and I trust her photographic judgement. And many of Paul Russell's shots have stuck in my memory.

Favourite photo sites:
This forum, because it's largely unpretentious and mostly free of the egotism and macho competition of more serious photography sites.

http://www.alef.co.uk

Primary camera:
Nikon Coolpix3100 with 120 mb card
For video I usually hire Sony PD 170 with tripod and lights

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: nil

what you like and don't like about the camera:
Likes – small and compact
Dislikes - slow startup, an LCD that has got many thumb impressions. Yet to get a grip on the Manual Setting.

Cannon Sureshot. For emergencies only – like when I have run out of batteries on location.

Minus minus - no lenses – just point and shoot.

Nikon D70, with lenses and a Manfrotto Tripod.

Previous cameras owned:
Yashica Electro35. Learnt the basics on it.

Photo software used:
Photoshop CS.
Sony Vegas 6. (for Videos)

Photo organization/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee):
nil

Computer gear/scanner:
HP Scanjet 3770.

About You

what kind of photos do you take:
I love taking portraits and experimenting with composition in them. Currently taking more of “development” pictures - being part of an NGO.

Photojournalists. - They capture stunning viewpoints from places I have never been before or even through the places I pass through daily!!

Favourite photo sites:
U75 certainly. Not too much of “professional” jazz. And photobucket.com for uploading images.

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable):
Street Theatre

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: Nikkor 18-70, 2x Lexar 512mb cards, Nikon Speedlight SB-600, Manfrotto tripod

What you like and don't like about the camera: Like the quick start up and the versatility of the D70. Don't like the in-built flash and the continous shooting mode is not as fast I would like now.

Nikon N80 for backup, college work and producing film for development in my darkroom. Fuji S5000 for travelling and festivals when I don't want to take my "work" camera.

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: I love the N80 and experimenting during printing. And I like my S5000 as it was the first decent camera I bought and using it encouraged me to start on the path of a career change. What I don't like about it is the time lag between press the button and the shutter opening.

Ideal/dream camera set up: Tricky one, I'd really like to experiment with a Hasselblad medium format camera and a digital back. But quite happy with what I've bought at the moment.

Previous cameras owned: An old Practica SLR when I was a kid.

Photo software used: Photoshop 7 is the dogs.

Photo organization/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): None, other than Windows file system

Computer gear/scanner: USB card reader, Epson 2480 Pro scanner, Epson R800 printer, Wireless shutter release.

About You

What kind of photos do you take: Work it's mainly news, press, PR events - always different which is nice, but often quite boring stuff, eg: meetings, men in suits etc. But it has improved my portrait skills and now really enjoy taking photos of people. For myself I enjoy street, architectural and urban stuff, but take all sorts of images really.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): I admire many photo-journalists, at the moment my favourite is Don McCullin. Also I love older photographers, including Imogen Cunningham for her portraits and Jacob Riss for his socio-documentary work.

Favourite photo sites: I like this site for it's unpretenious help and advice. Also I regularly use Leggatt's photography history site. and DP Review

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable):
Again tricky, favourites change from day to day. Check my project site Merseytribe.com

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: Nikon SB800 flash, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 18-70mm, Tamron 28-300mm

Like: the control, handling, fast auto focus
Dislike: it's a hefty puppy, dust

Sony DSC V3 - used for day trips and where a big camera would be a pain.
Sony F77 - pocket carry-everywhere camera .

Sony DSC V3
Good: looks great! huge LCD screen, good pics and infra red feature is a hoot.
Bad: slow start up, optical viewfinder's 'orrible, flash is a bit feeble.

Sony F77:
Good: very fast to start up, sneaky swivelling lens, fast.
Bad: No zoom, really feeble flash, noise in low light

A small, fast digital rangefinder camera, like a smaller blend of the Sony V3 and the Leica Digilux 2

Previous cameras owned:
Film: Praktica, Olympus OM10 with all-important manual adaptor, Olympus OM2n, Olympus OM4 and the fabulous ultra-compact Olympus XA

Digital: Fujifilm 1.2 megapixel something, Sony DSC F55E, Sony DSC-S70, Sony DSC-F55DX and Sony F717.

Photo software used:
Photoshop CS

ACDSee, but trying to find the time to categorise my thousands of pics with iViewMedia Pro.

Computer gear/scanner:
XP, Epson Perfection scanner

ABOUT YOU

Deserted cityscapes, old railway stations, Brixton street scenes and more

Cartier Bresson.
Andre Kertesz both for their simplicity, purity and depressing ability to effortlessly 'catch the moment' while I remain a fumbling amateur.

Favourite photo sites:
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

^ Out of the 1000 Photo's you have taken do you have an all time fav ? and what is it

thedyslexic1 said:
^ Out of the 1000 Photo's you have taken do you have an all time fav ? and what is it
Not really - but I like this Chicago pic because I took it during one of my best-ever hols there:
chic08.jpg

And I like this one because I love late night trains!
cefn11.jpg

ABOUT YOUR GEAR

Primary camera: Canon T90

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: Lenses: 28mm. 50mm (1.4). 135mm. 70-210 macro zoom. All Canon. Flash: Canon 300TL.

What you like and don't like about the camera: I love it. I wanted one when they first came out, but could only afford to get one a couple of years back, 2nd hand obviously.

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Canon A1, I like to keep a b&w film in here when I'm out shooting.

Ideal/dream camera set up: see above

Previous cameras owned: Old Praktika warhorse, veteran of many a demo in 70s and 80s.

Photo software used:

Computer gear/scanner:

ABOUT YOU

What kind of photos do you take: mostly off-beat landscapes / textures and long shots of interesting strangers in pubs or the street. Sometimes friends make me come round to take snaps of their family, because if I've got a proper camera I must be good with babies :rolleyes:

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): um Mapplethorpe, I suppose. At least he's the only one whose book I've bought. Though that could be down to the subject matter.

Favourite photo sites:

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable)[/

Hi all! :) am new to this site....here is my reply! :)

Primary camera: Canon EOS 20D

Lense:
EF 28-135mm IS USM, EF 100mm macro f/2.8
Tripod: Manfrotto one, with a ball head, forgot exact model
Flashgun: Canon 420EX
Studio Flash: Bowens Gemini 2x500w kit, with travel pack....

What you like and don't like about the camera: 1.6 multiplier effect, I hardly use my 100mm for portrait now :(

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Canon EOS 30, my old film camera, hardly used now, use for backup
Canon IXUS, just for snap shots. 2Mpixel little thing.

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: Film. Don't want to get into the whole debate about film vs digital, but it is quite good of a camera!

Ideal/dream camera set up: Canon 1Ds MK-II!!! prime lenses (all L glass) 17mm, 50mm, 100mm, and a big ass zoom!

Previous cameras owned:

Photo software used:Photoshop, Raw Shooter Essential

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): ACDSee, any other suggestions?

Computer gear/scanner:Canon US4000 film scanner.

ABOUT YOU

What kind of photos do you take:All sorts, travel, fashion, portraits, events.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them):Mario Testino, his style, his dedication.

Favourite photo sites:www.photo.net

Homepage/example of your fave pic (if applicable) http://studio.jimmyho.com/ No fav pic yet...maybe one day I will decide.

Primary camera:

Canon EOS350D

Tripod: some thing Mrs pingu got off ebay (works though)

like fast start up and good range of features - its my first "propper" camera so am still baffled by most of them
dislike no lcd preview

fuji finepix s602z (quick snaps and when i dont want to mess with settings)

very easy to use (point press button)
slow start up, slow to take next picture

dont know enough yet to answer this one but some more lenses would be on the list

Previous cameras owned:

various point and click jobbies

Photo software used:

photoshop, fireworks

none

Computer gear/scanner:

big fast fuck off PC, 20" iiyama monitor

ABOUT YOU

mainly wildlife and landsapes

dont kow any tbh

Favourite photo sites:

fav pic to date is this one:

IMG_0591.jpg

I'm only an occasional poster (lack of reliable internet access) but here goes anyway.....

ABOUT YOUR GEAR

Primary camera:
Pentax Pz1-p

Sigma DG EX 28-70 f/2.8, Sigma 300 f/4 APO, Pentax 50mm f/1.4 FA, Vivitar series 1 105mm f/2.5 Macro, Pentax 2X teleconverter, Pentax 400FTZ flash, Manfrotto 075B tripod (huge, absolutely huge), 3-way Manfrotto head, Uniloc tripod (very, very useful, if you can figure out how legs work - it's abit like a flailing octopuss until you lock everything out), Manfrotto heavyweight ball-head (that's a bitch to open without pulling tripod over). Manfrotto monopod.

Control system outstanding (hyper-program), allows you operate in aperture- and shutter-priority at the same time. Ergonomics excellent, except lack of battery grip means it can be a pain to control large lenses (camera tips forward).
Great metering, good flash control.
Waterproofing non-existent, light rain can cause the camera to fail.
Single AF point, and AF noisy (typical Pentax failing).
At the time of release, this camera competed with (and beat, in many people's opinion) the first Canon EOS-1, but Canon developed the EOS and now the PZ-1p is left way, way behind.
No battery grip, so stuck with 2CR5 batteries (I think).
Fast shutter (1/8000) drains battery quite quickly.

Pentax MZ-3 - tiny with 50mm lens, when FG battery grip is used it gives better handling with 300mm lens than PZ-1p.
Pentax MX - superb, all mechanical camera, excellent for time exposures or as reliable back-up. Good for low-light/night time exposure as focusing screen really bright and clear and open shutter doesn't drain battery (as would be the case for all electronic shutters).

MZ-3 is 'traditional' in that aperture controlled by aperture ring on lens, unless in program/shutter priority. Compact, light-weight, especially given spec - well specced, but controls all minimal and easy to set - no menus to navigate. Switch for expsoure and flash compensation is shared, so can't use both concurrently (i.e. fill-flash can be quite a pain). Metering good, AF less so. Much more expensive than MZ-5n (as MZ-3 is Japanese market only import) for no real improvement - faster shutter, allegedly better AF.
MX - simple, rugged, reliable. No automation, all manual, which is either a strength or weakness depending upon your point of view. Doesn't actually need batteries except for metering.

Anything medium format, although Pentax stuff is superb.
Decent wide-angle would be very useful.
Ultimately, something digital although I'm very happy with film at the minute, thank you.

Previous cameras owned:
Olympus XA-2 - cracking lens, tiny camera, although minimal control compared to others in XA series.
Pentax P30t. Felt a bit cheap, ergonomics quite poor. Metering good.

Photo software used:
None, but have played with Photoshop Elements.

None.

Computer gear/scanner:
Until prices match my funds a little more closely (all my 35mm film gear is second-hand) I won't be getting much. I have a Dell Inspiration 800Mhz laptop, but only 256Mb of RAM might prevent it from being useful for photo editing.

I also have a complete darkroom, with print processors (both monochrome slot and jobo colour drum), LPL enlarger with Nikon 500 f/2.8 lens, and print dryer. Many Christmas presents were created for my family and friends in this room!

ABOUT YOU

Landscapes, and occasional wildlife. I love good reportage, but I'm abysmal at it - I miss the heart of the moment and get the technical things wrong when hurried. I've also tried abstract and fine detail stuff, but only when the mood takes me - I can usually take a decent landscape, but others are really poor unless I'm really in the mood for it.

Salgado - each photo tells a story, but each one is art in it's own right.
There are many others I can't recall, if I think of any I'll edit them in here.

Favourite photo sites:
http://www.abandoned-places.com/ - photos are (tbh) merely good, but strength is in subject, I love these sorts of places
http://www.lostamerica.com/lostframe.html - great, great results from simple methods of timelapse and painting with light.
http://www.photo.net/ - A community, some of the shots are just superb.
http://www.usefilm.com/ - another good community.

Try the sites I mentioned above. I don't have anything on-line to show, as I am exclusively film-based until I can afford a decent DSLR.

Primary camera: Nikon FM2

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: 28mm, 55mm macro, 85mm, 135mm, 300mm lenses. Unilock tripod, think it's the 1700. Vivitar 283 flashgun.

What you like and don't like about the camera: Great build quality, good shutter speed range, easy to use, fully manual and mechanical. The viewfinder isn't great for spectacle wearers.

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Nikkormat FTn, Olympus Mju II compact.

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: The Nikkormat is great, although the correct battery is hard to come by now. Mine's currently knackered (understandable after 35 years), and sadly probably uneconomical to repair. The Mju is the best compact I've ever used, good 35mm F2.8 lens and enough control to allow a little creativity.

Ideal/dream camera set up: Nikon F3HP with a selection of fast prime lenses.

Previous cameras owned: I've had the FM2 for nine years and the Nikkormat for 11. I had a Zenith E for a while.

Photo software used: None.

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): None.

Computer gear/scanner: Used to have a PrimeFilm 1800 film scanner. I gave it away, couldn't get on with it.

What kind of photos do you take: A bit of everything, people, architectural details.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): Henri Cartier-Bresson for sheer brilliance, Frans Lanting - to my eye the best wildlife photographer ever.

Here's my updateds profile:

Primary camera: Ricoh GR Digital with 21mm extension lens

Secondary cameras (and what you use them for): Nikon D70 (for big gigs and important stuff), Sony v3

Lens/Tripod/Flashgun etc: 18-70mm Nikon zoom, 28-300mm Sigma, 50mm 1.8 Nikon. Nikon SB800 flashgun

What you like and don't like about the camera: Ricoh: small, simple, full manual controls, fast lens, discrete. Nikon D70: fantastic quality

Plus and minus points of your other cameras: Ricoh: detachable lens ring says 'lose me'. Nikon: it's a big bulky mo'fo'

Ideal/dream camera set up: Ricoh GR with screw in lenses.

Previous cameras owned: Fuji F11, Sony F55E, F77, F55DX, Olympus XA/OM2, OM10, OM4

Photo software used: Photoshop, Noise Ninja

Photo organisation/management software used (e.g Portfolio/ ACDSee): ACDSee

Computer gear/scanner: Athlon dual core/Epson Photo Perfection scanner

What kind of photos do you take: Street shooter, architecture.

Who are your photographic heroes (and what you like about them): Henri Cartier-Bresson, Andre Kertesz, Brassaï, Paul Strand etc for constantly reminding me there's always a lot, lot more to learn!

Back
Top Bottom