Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Penny Mordaunt

saw this in the queue yesterday. With sufficient letters for a vonc she could be in within weeks, and given how many have said they're leaving at the next election, they can submit their letters without much fear of retribution if it all goes wrong.. GOK what she might do in the few months before a GE.

1710676912014.png

I reckon if she was put before the Membership Sunak would be out on his arse, whether that would/could happen, I'd have to take a gander at the bookies

Mordaunt is ‘stalking horse for Right-wing Tory rival’
If this plot goes ahead and they do oust Sunak for Mordaunt, the one thing that is guaranteed is she won't go before the membership. Partly because they won't want a long drawn out contest at this stage and also because she's far too liberal on some issues for Tory party members who will pick whatever far right crazy puts themselves forwards.

If this plot goes ahead and they do oust Sunak for Mordaunt, the one thing that is guaranteed is she won't go before the membership. Partly because they won't want a long drawn out contest at this stage and also because she's far too liberal on some issues for Tory party members who will pick whatever far right crazy puts themselves forwards.

But the plot is meant to be that Mordaunt-aligned wets join the headbangers in voting no confidence in Sunak, whereupon the headbangers tear off their Mordaunt masks like Scooby Doo villains and back Badenoch, so both women go forward to the membership.

If she's the stalking horse though, she's not the one who'll end up as PM. It will be some far right crazy.

(Not that I think it'll happen. Even the Tories surely aren't quite that stupid this close to a GE...?!)

But the plot is meant to be that Mordaunt-aligned wets join the headbangers in voting no confidence in Sunak, whereupon the headbangers tear off their Mordaunt masks like Scooby Doo villains and back Badenoch, so both women go forward to the membership.
Ok I'd not followed this latest element. I can just about see the logic of a quick change of leader to someone not completely barking mad as a strategy to save a few seats. A proper contest is bonkers, even if (unlikely) it ended up with the same result. It's like they want to be completely wiped out.

Ok I'd not followed this latest element. I can just about see the logic of a quick change of leader to someone not completely barking mad as a strategy to save a few seats. A proper contest is bonkers, even if (unlikely) it ended up with the same result. It's like they want to be completely wiped out.

Lots of them are more scared of Reform than of Labour, and think that their seats will only be safe if the shitweasel vote is consolidated. They’re not entirely dumb, however overstated the “most sophisticated electorate in the world” tag is.

If I remember the process correctly, there need to be at least two stages.

First, the appropriate number of MPs need to send a letter to Graham Brady, which would trigger the contest.

Second, potential candidates need to get 100 MPs to back them. This is where Mordaunt failed last time, meaning Sunak became leader without a membership vote.

So it is possible that potential Mordaunt supporters could be encouraged to submit letters along with, say, potential Badenoch supporters, but for only one of them to achieve the 100 MP threshold and therefore become the new leader without a membership vote.

If I remember the process correctly, there need to be at least two stages.

First, the appropriate number of MPs need to send a letter to Graham Brady, which would trigger the contest.

Second, potential candidates need to get 100 MPs to back them. This is where Mordaunt failed last time, meaning Sunak became leader without a membership vote.

So it is possible that potential Mordaunt supporters could be encouraged to submit letters along with, say, potential Badenoch supporters, but for only one of them to achieve the 100 MP threshold and therefore become the new leader without a membership vote.

You missed a stage, after 15% of Tory MPs put in their letters, that triggers a secret ballot as to if there's still confidence in the leader, only if they lose that, or if they are badly damaged by the volume of MPs voting no confidence, do they step aside and allow a leadership contest, which they can't stand it.

Open goal for Labour though, perfect time for shouting “end this circus and let the people have their say”. Undoubtedly Starmer’s shot will bounce off the corner flag and roll into his own goal though..

You missed a stage, after 15% of Tory MPs put in their letters, that triggers a secret ballot as to if there's still confidence in the leader, only if they lose that, or if they are badly damaged by the volume of MPs voting no confidence, do they step aside and allow a leadership contest, which they can't stand it.

Which is why the plots have to involve a betrayal, because they need 178 votes for the contest to begin, and there is no real unity candidate.

Yeah, you're right.

I did qualify it by saying "if I remember correctly"...

what are the rules this week about calling a general election?

could sunak bugger the whole thing by saying 'if you put the no confidence letters in, i'll press the button and call a general election at the shortest possible notice'?

sunak has got less to lose than a lot of them, as he can just bugger off and spend more time with his money...

Yeah, you're right.

I did qualify it by saying "if I remember correctly"...

I've had to double check how it works if a contest goes ahead, last time they only needed 20 MPs to get them on the ballot, helpful graphic here -

1c.png

In an attempt to exclude fringe candidates, the committee has made it harder for MPs to enter into and progress in the leadership contest.

Candidates will need the backing of 20 named Conservative MPs to enter the race, and must gain votes from at least 30 MPs in order to pass the first ballot on Wednesday evening.

In the previous Tory leadership contest in 2019, when there were 10 candidates, the first ballot threshold was 17 votes.

what are the rules this week about calling a general election?

could sunak bugger the whole thing by saying 'if you put the no confidence letters in, i'll press the button and call a general election at the shortest possible notice'?

sunak has got less to lose than a lot of them, as he can just bugger off and spend more time with his money...

This comes down to Lascelles principles I think.

If someone else can command the confidence of the house, Chaz isn’t obliged to grant the PM’s request for a GE. Essentially, though, you’re right.

Sunak would already be out on his arse and ineligible to stand if Mordaunt was put before the leadership, that’s how it works in the Tory party.
I didnt say "put before the leadership" I'm not sure what you mean

I dunno, I know a few party members and you are right that they are not rational people but 2 of em have already said they vote for Penny (OK a tiny sample, butthat's 2 out of the 3 I know and havnt seen the third bloke for a while)

I reckon if she was put before the Membership Sunak would be out on his a*se, whether that would/could happen, I'd have to take a gander at the bookies

Worth remembering that she was unable to secure the backing of the necessary 100 Tory MPs in Oct 22, though maybe things would be different this time.

It is less than two years since Pouting Penny Morduant was beaten in a Conservative Party leadership campaign by someone who was outlasted in office by a lettuce, after her campaign suffered from claims from some of her own colleagues about her "reported work ethic". She was then unable to raise sufficient support from her own colleagues to mount a further leadership challenge after the departure of the person outlasted in office by a lettuce.

Since that point, her main contributions to public life seem to have consisted of demonstrating how good she is at handling a large sword in public and pouting a lot in the chamber of the House of Commons.

What qualities relevant to political leadership, including leading a government, does she possess?

I'm struggling to understand the appeal of her, other than being white, and having some military service in the naval reserve. Though I guess that's maybe good enough for the Tories..

I'm struggling to understand the appeal of her, other than being white, and having some military service in the naval reserve. Though I guess that's maybe good enough for the Tories..
I reckon she could be trained to speak to sound like fatch

It is less than two years since Pouting Penny Morduant was beaten in a Conservative Party leadership campaign by someone who was outlasted in office by a lettuce, after her campaign suffered from claims from some of her own colleagues about her "reported work ethic". She was then unable to raise sufficient support from her own colleagues to mount a further leadership challenge after the departure of the person outlasted in office by a lettuce.

Since that point, her main contributions to public life seem to have consisted of demonstrating how good she is at handling a large sword in public and pouting a lot in the chamber of the House of Commons.

What qualities relevant to political leadership, including leading a government, does she possess?
You honestly think its about leadership qualities?

Back
Top Bottom