Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Passports for 3 million Hong Kong Chinese but no Justice for #WindrushScandal victims?

Lee Japser

Our PM Boris Johnson refuses to deliver justice for #WindrushScandal victims but can offer 3m #HongKong Chinese British passports. Everybody else first. British Black people last.

Some Conservatives were thinking in the late 1980s/early 1990s of encouraging the Hong Kong Chinese to move to Britain, on the grounds they would set a hard-working entrepreneurial example to everyone else here and provide a net gain to the Treasury. The Adam Smith Institute published a report on the proposal. It's an idea they've had on the back burner for quite a long time although it's not clear the intention was ever very serious.

Last edited:
Prior to the handover of Hong Kong, it was actually LibDem policy to offer British passports to any HK resident who wanted one, Labour and Tories were a lot cooler on the idea on the grounds that it was easy for the LibDems to make promises they knew they couldn't keep whilst the other two might find themselves having to come good on it.
I have a feeling that the good people of Hong Kong are about to discover something we already know, to wit that Boris Johnson is a lying cunt and pinning your hopes on something he says is unwise.

Prior to the handover of Hong Kong, it was actually LibDem policy to offer British passports to any HK resident who wanted one, Labour and Tories were a lot cooler on the idea on the grounds that it was easy for the LibDems to make promises they knew they couldn't keep whilst the other two might find themselves having to come good on it.
I have a feeling that the good people of Hong Kong are about to discover something we already know, to wit that Boris Johnson is a lying cunt and pinning your hopes on something he says is unwise.
a mrs n. z-r of tehran writes: boris johnson promised me the earth and all i got was a smaller cell.

The reminder of passports to the good people of Hong Kong is nothing new, but it is just a reminder, little more than an empty gesture.

In the unlikely event Boris Johnson makes good on the promise, we can probably expect to see a nonrefundable £25,000 "passport administration fee" to ensure the government only gets the kind of Hong Kongers it wants.

More widely...Hong Kong, Windrush, Uganda, Iraq etc. We are a shit nation. I don't trust my govt to look after me!

Tax rate in HK is insanely low from what gathered this morning and it has better weather. The lure of coming to live in the clusterfuck here can't be very strong.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I understand Taiwan also offered residency to those wanting to leave Hong Kong.

Tax rate in HK is insanely low from what gathered this morning and it has better weather. The lure of coming to live in the clusterfuck here can't be very strong.

Also the highest property prices in the world, double even that of London - although the move wouldn't be as appealing for the half of the population that lives in subsidised public housing.

Back
Top Bottom