Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Passenger rail turns 200

This momentous anniversary must be worthy of it's own thread
I might go back up north to the S & D railway as I guess there will be events in the area. The thing was drilled into us at school unsurprisingly.

Went to see one of the original engines when it was displayed at the local science and industry museum - will see if I can find the photos. Can't remember whether it was Locomotion No. 1 or another though.

Passengers at S&D were carried in horse drawn carriages until 1833, alternating on the same track with the steam engines pulling the coal wagons. The Liverpool and Manchester Railway is probably a better starting point for the beginning of passenger rail. It opened in 1830 with passengers in steam trains from the beginning. It was also double tracked (S&D was single track) with signalling and a timetable. It also has the distinction of the world's first fatal train accident when on the very first day William Huskisson the MP for Liverpool got out of his train when it stopped only to be hit by the train (actually Stephenson's Rocket) going down the opposite track. The original Liverpool terminus is a park now and the Manchester one is part of the Science and History Museum.

Back
Top Bottom