Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Part time work & universal credit

Doctor Carrot

Marxist Henchman
Just can't get a definitive answer on this so thought I'd ask here. I'm moving to a new place with higher rent. I currently work 16 hours a week. The entitled2 calculator says I'll get more per week with universal credit than I do with current HB. I don't have to move to UC as I'm not changing local authority areas or making a new claim but the extra amount would make it worth my while.

My question is just how much would they hassle me if I move to UC while continuing to work those hours?

I suspect moving address might be enough to trigger it.

My vast experience of moving 1 person from jsa + HB to part time job and hb and 1 person from jsa + HB to part time job and UC is they were practically the same. Maybe a little more on uc.

Either way entitledto provided an accurate account.

Would I have to do weekly job searches is what I really bothered about. At the moment I get left alone completely except when I have to update them once a year when I get a meagre pay increase.

Would I have to do weekly job searches is what I really bothered about. At the moment I get left alone completely except when I have to update them once a year when I get a meagre pay increase.
I don't know the specifics, but I think you get treated as "part time unemployed", whatever that means.

As far as i remember from when UC was being set up the answer is that the job centre can require you to do a certain number of hours of job search each week.

I don't know how this is playing out on practice as advisers have some discretion but I've no idea what the official guidance is.

Have you tried looking at the actual UC regulations to get an answer on whether they can make you do job search?

I suspect it'll come down to whether you get a decent jcp adviser or not. It might make a difference of you are only claiming the housing component and not income support/unemployed type component.

I've heard some horror stories about in-work conditionality but that was when it was first rolling out; people required to keep their phone on them all the time so they could be reached and harassed while at work, regardless of the rules at the place of work, requirements to attend jcp interviews at short notice, in working hours. My impression is that if you are fit for full time work you will be hassled relentlessly until you earn enough. This from turn2us
If you are single and earning less than your earnings threshold but more than £338 per month, you will be subject to all work-related requirements, except for looking for work. You will still have to be ready to take up more work, to do the things your job coach asks you to and to go to work-focused interviews.

If you are a couple and earning less than your joint earnings threshold but more than £541 per month, you will be subject to all work-related requirements, except for looking for work. You will still have to be ready to take up more work, to do the things your job coach asks you to and to go to work-focused interviews.

If you are single and earning less than £338 per month, or you are a couple and earning less than £541 per month, you will be subject to all work-related requirements. The amount of time you are expected to spend on looking for and preparing for work will depend on how much you are working and if you have caring responsibilities.

Earnings threshold is 35hrs x min wage.

Yeah it does seem to be the case that if you're deemed fit for full time then endless hassle will ensue. Think I'll just try and hold out for as long as possible on HB until they force me on UC.

What utter bastards they are. Can't even do part time work now without getting hassled. Working part time has been really beneficial for my mental health the last few years. That's way more important than the vague possibility of a few extra quid a month.

Back
Top Bottom