Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Outlook Unwanted Update - account not working

newme

Giant in Pastyland now
I have a hotmail.co.uk account, worked fine, gmail.com account worked fine, hotmail.com account won't work for anything and is my oldest account by a fair amount. Worked perfectly before the update I never wanted to the stupid web new interface, now it just says

"Sign in Failed

email@hotmail.com

We couldn't reach the email server. Please try again"

It's hotmail and outlook! Bloody thing won't work at all, tried reset password, got web and phone working now after a lot of faffing about but outlook is now basically useless on the PC. Any ideas?

I have a hotmail.co.uk account, worked fine, gmail.com account worked fine, hotmail.com account won't work for anything and is my oldest account by a fair amount. Worked perfectly before the update I never wanted to the stupid web new interface, now it just says

"Sign in Failed

email@hotmail.com

We couldn't reach the email server. Please try again"

It's hotmail and outlook! Bloody thing won't work at all, tried reset password, got web and phone working now after a lot of faffing about but outlook is now basically useless on the PC. Any ideas?

back up/export/save all your emails - just in case
uninstall and reinstall Outlook?
Try Thunderbird?
Have you looked on the MS forums for similar reports?

I had the opposite (I think). Outlook just stopped downloading my emails. Pushed the update button and it sorted itself out.

Yeah, the new version is shit. I switched back straight away.
You can switch back? It was offering me the new version for ages and I ignored it cos I tried it in the work comp, personal machine seems to have just updated itself and theres no switch like there was on the work one. There is no toggle!
back up/export/save all your emails - just in case
uninstall and reinstall Outlook?
Try Thunderbird?
Have you looked on the MS forums for similar reports?
Did look for similiar but all the reports seemed to be for previous versions or just didn't fix anything.

Hmm well as per usual giving up and rebooting seems to have sorted that in that now all three accounts are there. Unfortunately the new version is shit, why don't I have a combined inbox anymore, that was about the most useful feature.

You can switch back? It was offering me the new version for ages and I ignored it cos I tried it in the work comp, personal machine seems to have just updated itself and theres no switch like there was on the work one. There is no toggle!
There was a toggle on mine - will check if it's still there when I'm back on the laptop later.

I suspect Microsoft will force everyone to use the shit new one at some point, as is often the way with these things.

Fixed it, then realised it had no combined inbox, downgraded then it whined I had no 2016 license and only loaded the account it failed to before. Gave up and reloaded old link, worked but now wondering if there ever was a combined inbox or whether it was just my phone....

There was a toggle on mine - will check if it's still there when I'm back on the laptop later.

I suspect Microsoft will force everyone to use the shit new one at some point, as is often the way with these things.
Toggle was bloody hidden somewhere and I swear I had been on that menu 8 times already wherever the hell it was, then put me back to a version I never had lol.

I seem to have accidentally clicked something that has restored the position of the options for mail, calendar, etc., in Outlook - it's no longer in that stupid annoying sidebar that does my head in and now at the bottom of the left hand column as it should be.

1699294262948.png

Are all USB C cables created equal? Just bought a longer USB C cable for my portable monitor. It doesn't work, says 'No Signal'.

The shorter (and chunkier) one that came with the monitor works.

Are all USB C cables created equal?
They are not. And it's quite hard to tell a)which kind you need and b)which kind you have

(and then have a lie down in a quiet room)

The new cable might only support old USB 2.0 speeds (not enough for displays)

The original cable might be Thunderbolt, if it's <50cm in which case longer cables get expensive quickly

Do you know the exact make and model of the monitor?

They are not. And it's quite hard to tell a)which kind you need and b)which kind you have

(and then have a lie down in a quiet room)

The new cable might only support old USB 2.0 speeds (not enough for displays)

The original cable might be Thunderbolt, if it's <50cm in which case longer cables get expensive quickly

Do you know the exact make and model of the monitor?
It is Geekom portable monitor.

Would this do the job?

Last edited:
I seem to have accidentally clicked something that has restored the position of the options for mail, calendar, etc., in Outlook - it's no longer in that stupid annoying sidebar that does my head in and now at the bottom of the left hand column as it should be.

View attachment 398886
And the bugger has reverted to the sidebar :mad:

Went through the settings and can't see a way of changing it to sit at the bottom.

Probably, but your actually looking for something called thunderbolt 3 which is designed for display.

Edit. Not all ports support display output so you want to check that as well.

It's a mess.

I thought USB 3 was supposed to simplify things?
In some ways it has, but in others it has not :D
The naming conventions are terrible. USB 3 is a standard that spans both the old A and the new C socket shapes.

The short cable that works; does it have either of these symbols on the plug?

1699481866824.png

Back
Top Bottom