Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Our Planet

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
Wot no thread. Only 11 minutes in to this new Netflix series from Attenborough, but wow. He may be politically problematic (for U75 tastes) but the footage is astonishing. If it makes a bunch of petrolheads in America reconsider their stance I'm all for it.

"the females of some birds are able to raise their young entirely by themselves, and that allows the males to spend their whole time attracting females"
<hollow laughter from the back>

I made the mistake of letting my 8 year old watch the second episode with me. It's dark.
Were they ok with the other wildlife shows? Even without all the climate change doom mongering, they can be quite distressing to watch at times, even for grown ups

Have been watching with my gd (she's 3), did 3 random episodes: first episode, rain forests and icy one and realised we were mostly talking about who's going to eat what next :D The constant reminders that we're destroying most of the habitats are depressing, especially when there's a 3 year old next to me who will slowly realise, to her horror, what we have done to this beautiful planet, for the sake of money and 'progress'.

Right now though, she doesn't quite get it, so it's just me left deflated and hopeless at the end of each episode. She hasn't been scared of anything and sometimes she gets bored. I have to keep pointing out things that I think are amazing to her to get her back into it.

It’s on my list to watch, probably this weekend.

How does it compare to Planet Earth/Blue Planet? It’s the same production team I think?

I would say it's similar but better. The camera work is amazing, and some of the sights they've managed to film are incredible. It is dark though. It shows beautiful things, and then comes Attenborough with his ominous "but in the last decade..."

Netflix gives it a U certificate. Wtf?

there's no gore is there, I haven't seen any so far, nor there is sex. It is talked about, but not shown, it will go over the heads of the smaller ones and older ones can handle it. (edit I've only seen 3 episodes so I could be wrong)

The walruses, that was heartbreaking, looked like they were committing suicide :( (but once again, a younger child would not get the gravity of the situation)

Last edited:
But yeah, isn't it comforting we can help save our planet just by donating money to WWF and taking five simple steps? :D Our Planet | Five Steps To Help Save Our Planet

While the biggest polluters and destroyers can keep cashing it in and the Amazon is being sold off. I can see why people get pissed off with these programmes, there's no mention of any of this, as if it was simply up to the individual to fix it.

But yeah, anything to raise awareness I suppose... But it just doesn't go far enough.

there's no gore is there, I haven't seen any so far, nor there is sex. It is talked about, but not shown, it will go over the heads of the smaller ones and older ones can handle it.

The walruses, that was heartbreaking, looked like they were committing suicide :( (but once again, a younger child would not get the gravity of the situation)

Gravity, in the case of the unfortunate walruses, being an apt term here. :(

Back
Top Bottom