Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opinions on desktop specs welcome

JimW

支那暗杀团
Looking to buy a new desktop, work mainly but do like a bit of gaming, usually stuff that's fairly dated so doesn't have to be super-powered. Not really up t building something myself from parts so will buy something readymade. Spotted this MSI rig (they have a decent rep among the domestic brands here in China), how does this spec sound for equivalent of around 430 quid?
1665412401551.png
AFAICT that's a pretty decent chip and card, though maybe HD a bit small?

Could save a fair bit with a refurb but would have to give up much hope of gaming and think I can stretch to this. Or is it over-priced?

looks serviceable to me

HD for a large solid state jobs a good un

price?
Works out at equivalent of about 430 quid I reckon. Can find similarish specs cheaper but really off-brand or save a bit with an older graphics card but this looked about the sweet spot between beefy and not madly expensive.

Reactions: Ax^
giphy.gif

:)

Cheers for replies, was fairly decided but about the most money I'll spend all year so wanted a bit of confirmation. The number of rigs left keeps ticking down on the site I have it saved on but suspect that's just pressure marketing.

if you want to test out your skills i'd say build you own but if you cannot be arse that seems like a good investment from the benchmark tests

thought they be cheaper were you are tbf

or do you know anyone tech trying to make a spare buck who would do it for you :)

if you want to test out your skills i'd say build you own but if you cannot be arse that seems like a good investment from the benchmark tests

thought they be cheaper were you are tbf

or do you know anyone tech trying to make a spare buck who would do it for you :)
Bet I could get someone to make one from parts but not really got anyone like that in my circle of friends atm. Will maybe ask around, though probably just go for this if my next contract comes off as expected.

If the budget would stretch I'd look for something with a more modern card. The 1660 is pretty old now.

How much would a machine with a 3060 be where you are?

Yeah but with a 3k card, the i3 may end up being a bottleneck.

My understanding is that modern i3s are decent quad cores and should be fine in most games with a mid range 3 series.

It's the best budget CPU on Tom's guide.

The Core i3-12100 doesn't have a similarly-priced competitor from AMD that can keep pace. However, despite a total lack of competition, it still brings impressive generational performance gains to the table. In fact, our 1080p gaming benchmarks show the $129 Core i3-12100 delivers 88% of the $299 Core i5-12400's performance, but for 56% less cash. That's a winning blend of price and performance.

The graph shows it paired with a 3090!

PSX_20221014_112041.png

Thanks all, I'd read that about the i3 too hence plumping for it. Will check out i5s but iirc any better card would be quite a price bump, another twenty percent or so. But will keep looking as have to wait until an invoice is paid before I have cash anyway. Think model I listed will be sold out by then so would be looking for similar built by someone else it seems. Bewildering range is the problem!

Thanks all, I'd read that about the i3 too hence plumping for it. Will check out i5s but iirc any better card would be quite a price bump, another twenty percent or so. But will keep looking as have to wait until an invoice is paid before I have cash anyway. Think model I listed will be sold out by then so would be looking for similar built by someone else it seems. Bewildering range is the problem!

I think your on the right track anyway and a similar machine will be fine if that's what the budget allows.

What games do you play and what resolution might me a good question?

I think your on the right track anyway and a similar machine will be fine if that's what the budget allows.

What games do you play and what resolution might me a good question?
Nothing too taxing, though have got the newer Mount and Blade which is about the most demanding. Also not too bothered about super high res. Still play a lot of Quake :D

Nothing too taxing, though have got the newer Mount and Blade which is about the most demanding. Also not too bothered about super high res. Still play a lot of Quake :D

Well if you want to make a new system cry I belive there is now a version of Quake with ray tracing....

Back
Top Bottom