Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Online photo storage for huge archive - Dropbox, Flickr + photoSync, Zenfolio...?

editor

hiraethified
I've got around 500GB of photo files that I need to back-up online.

Flickr looks the best candidate, but when I had a pro account before I had to manually upload each folder and soon lost interest in that palaver. The Pro option + photoSync seems to be the best option (2 years for $45), although has anyone used this?

I want to be able to point it at my photo folder and have it upload the lot in the background (including sub folders),something that didn't seem possible when I last used Flickr. Anyone using this?

I've also seen Zenfolio which offers unlimited storage for £50/year and integration with Lightroom and lots of other useful photographer-focussed features. http://www.zenfolio.com

Dropbox (or Google Drive/Sky Drive etc) in some ways would be the easiest call of the lot, but boy oh boy, they're pricey.

Bitcasa charge (or will be charging) $10/month for "infinite" storage. Might be worth looking into as a back-up back-up, at that price.

Bitcasa look interesting too. I used to use Carbonite and then they fucked up, and then I switched to CrashPlan and they fucked everything up....

:mad:

Bitcasa looks good. It will be interesting to see if Dropbox and others do anything to their pricing in response to some of these new rivals.

That said, I've still not seen anything that integrates into things as well as Dropbox.

If it's iPhone only, they can iFuckOff.
Openphoto appears as a free app in the Google Play menu on Android phones. I am not sure what it does really though. It seems merely to facilitate saving photographs from Facebook into Dropbox or Box.com or alternatively your hard drive. It makes no mention of having storage facilities of its own or if there are how big they are. I looked at the link on post #15 and found a video with a talking voice which had loud background music rendering the American accent difficult to translate. It told me nothing. The write-up in the Android app was equally uninformative. It seems to me that it is not a storage option but would require paying for a large Dropbox or cloud storage facility.

I conclude that it is just a file cataloguing and sharing application that accesses your Facebook, Flickr and Dropbox, Box.net or Amazon S3 photographs.

editor: Possibly a daft question, but do/don't you have a general backup strategy for all your data?

And why single out photos from that for online backup?

editor: Possibly a daft question, but do/don't you have a general backup strategy for all your data?

And why single out photos from that for online backup?
My back up was:
1. back up to Drobo
2. back up to external hard drive
3. occasional backs up to old hard drive
and until it botked
4. backed up to CrashPlan

With the demise of my last machine and CrashPlan going west, I'm now starting over and trying out Bitcasa.

The reason why online access is important is because I sometimes sell a photo when I'm not at home and I want a means of sending it to the client without having to get back to my machine.

Back
Top Bottom