Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

OM System/Olympus cameras, lens and news - and other Micro Four Thirds cameras

editor

hiraethified
The original OM-D remains one of my favourite cameras, and the follow up looks set to be released next month.

Details have leaked all over the web and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

oly_e-m5ii_silver_f001.jpg

oly_e-m5ii_silver_b001.jpg

oly_e-m5ii_silver_t001.jpg

Specs:
Same E-M5 16MP sensor
Update processor (improves slightly the IQ)
No PDAF
New sensor shift shooting that allows to combine 8 pictures in one to create a 40 Megapixel image
Improved 5 axis stabilization
It does have clean hdmi-out
all common frame rates and video optimized af-algorithm.
50Mb/s all 1080p (no 4K recording)

http://www.43rumors.com/all-e-m5ii-images-and-specs-leaked-so-far-poll-do-you-like-the-camera/

Interesting and rather clever (although not confirmed)

pixelshift_zpseddc7a97.jpg

The Pixel shift tech from the Hasselblad H5D-200c. Something similar is coming from Olympus.

On February 5 at 6am London time Olympus will launch the new E-M5II (follow the live blogging on 43rumors!) And the single most exciting feature is the so-called “40 Megapixel High Resolution Shot“. That’s how it works:

1) sensor shifts 0,5 pixel for every shot (up to 8 shots). It uses the Olympus on sensor stabilization system to do so.
2) camera has to be on tripod to make it work properly
3) resulting images are as big as 40 megapixel in JPEG or 63 megapixel in RAW(!)

That’s a nice trick to avoid the Megapixel race issues (smaller pixels means fewer electrons can be captured and image quality decreases). Of course this feature works only fine when shooting still objects. Anyway, let’s see on Thursday how good (or bad) this works! P.S.: The camera costs 1099 Euro.
http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-high-resolution-shot-mode-takes-63-megabyte-raw-files/

Neat video showing off the 20MP trick:

Review:

Conclusion
When the E-M5 was launched in September 2010 it rapidly became the most sought-after camera of its type. It's taken four years and three interim models to come up with the E-M5 Mark II and each model has offered at least one new feature to attract serious enthusiasts.

Interestingly, at a time when other camera manufacturers have been iterating products in 'baby steps', Olympus is one of the few to have offered any significant technological developments. The High Res Shot mode, which has evolved from the sensor-shift stabilisation system (which Olympus also developed) provides a welcome boost to the capabilities of the company's Micro Four Thirds cameras.

Even though its applications are limited, this development is genuinely new and exciting. It gives technical writers a fascinating subject to investigate and photo enthusiasts a reason to invest in new equipment. Olympus merits praise for 'going boldly where others fear to tread'.

But even photographers for whom the High Res Shot mode is of minimal interest will find the E-M5 Mark II provides some attractive reasons to choose it, rather than other 'mirrorless' CSCs. The substantial improvements to its movie functionality and performance and its more adjustable LCD monitor make it more useful to some users than the E-M1, while the latter's slightly better weatherproofing and phase-contrast AF system provide quantifiable advantages for long-time users of Olympus DSLR cameras.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/revie...nterchangeable-lens/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii

Olympus are going for the sports market and it's a BIG camera.

Rumoured specs:

Name: E-M1X OMD camera
Sensor: 20MP (not global shutter)
Frame rate: 18fps
7.5+ EV stabilization
2 TruePic VIII processors
2x the processing speed of the E-m1II
Autofocus: Adaptive and expandable focal points. Two examples. If you are shooting a person, then shift to shooting a car, the number of focal points will automatically expand. If you are shooting a basketball player, you will get a vertical series of 5 focal points.
Body Size: 144.37 x 146.765 x 75.345mm (body with a built in vertical grip)
High Res: Can shoot handheld High Resolution images (around 80MP) at 1/60s
Photography focus: Sports and Wildlife shooters
Same batteries as E-M1 Mk II
Live electornic ND filter
Larger EVF
Price: Close to $3,000

Out of my league on price. But not aimed at me anyhow.
I expect it will be a good camera.
Wonder how many memory card slots?
18fps seems crazy fast :)
I bet it has Oly standards of environmental sealing.

Shitting hell, the up-to-date rumoured specs on this look insane! We are living in an age of crazy cameras!
Olympus E-M1X Full Specification…

• Effective Resolution 20.4 megapixels
  • Continuous Shooting Speed 18 fps
  • 50 MP Handheld High Res shot functionality. Building on the HiRes innovation on the E-M1 MK II where a tripod was required, the E-M1X can now take a 50mp HiRes shot handheld. Using a tripod it can now produce 80mp images.
  • World’s best Image stabilization: In combination with a M.Zuiko IS PRO lens, this technology enables the 5-axis sync IS to compensate for approx. 7.5 shutter speed steps.
  • Totally new AF system with various AF target modes and settings and intelligent subject tracking.
  • With locked AF, the E-M1X features high-speed sequential shooting at a maximum of 60 fps to capture split-second moments that the human eye cannot see. With AF/AE tracking, a maximum of 18 fps may be reached.
  • Key OM-D Movie video capabilities: 4K and C4K, OM-Log400, Different levels of IS, 120 fps high-speed shooting in Full HD
  • Anti-flicker shooting capabilities
  • Integrated field sensors to add detailed metadata to pictures and video
  • Live ND feature for slow shutter effects without an external filter.
  • Dust, splash, & freezeproof. Weatherproofing maintained even when connecting microphone, earphone or remote control cable
  • Integrated field sensors to add detailed metadata to pictures and video
  • Two UHS-II SD card slots for high-speed responsiveness
  • Two batteries in innovative cartridge system and USB charging capabilities
  • The sensor dust reduction system now features an improved Super Sonic Wave Filter (SSWF) with a special coating which vibrates 30,000 times per second further reducing the possibility of dust or dirt ruining photos and equipment by factor 10
  • Capture up to 2,580 images before having to recharge. Featuring USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) from up to 100 W power sources, both batteries in the camera body can be fully charged in approximately two hours
  • A new Wi-Fi capture allows tethered shooting without a cable and makes it possible to transfer images wirelessly to a computer with the Olympus
  • Weight 997g
  • Body (WxHxD) 144.4 x 146.8 x 75.4mm
  • Price £2,799, available April
As per eoshd.com

Interior ND! :eek:

Mad era for semi-pro video (and hybrid) cameras:

Fuji X-T3
Nikon Z6
Panasonic GH5(S)
Sony A7III
Blackmagic PCC4K

All stunning cameras for video!

Also the Canon EOS-R, which gets slated, but actually looks very useful imo, and now this Oly too! Plus Panny FF, and who knows what else to come (Sony A7S III?).

Interesting. It does sound like they’re trying to incorporate a lot of smart modes, which is where I see m43 and mirrorless really going now that phones are doing so much work there, but also that they’re not quite there yet.

Interesting. It does sound like they’re trying to incorporate a lot of smart modes, which is where I see m43 and mirrorless really going now that phones are doing so much work there, but also that they’re not quite there yet.
Imagine a weather-sealed Ricoh GR with the Pixel 3 AI gubbins inside.

TAKE MY MONEY!

Imagine a weather-sealed Ricoh GR with the Pixel 3 AI gubbins inside.

TAKE MY MONEY!
“Proper Camera People” sneer at the automation that goes into some compacts, “for the selfie generation” etc, but tbh a compact with the ease of use and smartness of a phone and the advantages of a proper sensor and lens and better physical design is exactly what I want. The GX800 that I got recently is really good for that.

It's not a camera I'm interested in but it's good to see Olympus trying something a bit different. Here's the first reviews:

Dpreview:

“An inherent benefit of a smaller sensor is that it has less inertia, making it easier to provide stabilization. This is borne-out with a frankly astonishing rating of 7EV, even before you consider the 7.5EV it’ll achieve with the 12-100mm F4. There are footnotes to all these claims, of course, and we tend to find we don’t experience quite the number that CIPA testing promises, but this system is seriously good from what we’ve experienced so far.”

Digitalcameraworld:

“If size isn’t a factor, this is undoubtedly the ultimate Micro Four Thirds camera. And, if you ignore the narrative about sensor size, this is arguably the ultimate mirrorless camera, period.”

Robin Wong:

“To me, I appreciate the significant improvement in AF, both in general S-AF in all situations, as well as vastly more efficient extreme low light AF. This upgrade alone can make or break the deal in some very challenging shooting scenarios. For motorsports shooters, the new subject tracking mode may just make your life so much better with automatic subject detection and tracking, which proved to work very efficiently.”

LCEgroup:

The E-M1X is an extremely well-built device, with some excellent handling and some very strong features, particularly in terms of its image stabilisation, burst shooting and video. For those sports and wildlife shooters with an investment in Micro Four Third glass, it’s going to be a very tempting proposition. That smaller sensor size will likely deter some professionals still, but the ability to utilise a smaller and more lightweight system and still get serious telephoto reach may appeal to others.

I like this camera, however it is too expensive for me, and I still can't get my head around the idea that its sensor size is going to be as good as my 36mpx FF sensor in my D800. If I could have the sensor of my D800 in the sealed body of this unit, used for £900 I would jump on it.

I didn't realise it had this stuff onboard:

The E-M1X is among the first cameras on the market with AF modes trained to identify specific subjects. Specifically, aircraft, locomotives, and wheeled vehicles (commonly referred to as planes, trains, and automobiles).

uploadsHop-Skip-Jump-2_EDIT_TC_V2_6_.jpeg

The E-M1X features a 121-point all-cross-type on-chip Phase Detection plus Contrast Detection AF system. The on-chip Phase Detection AF allows for high-precision AF even when shooting with high speed lenses.
These modes are smart enough to not only track the outline of say, someone riding a motorcycle, but actually focus on the rider's helmet, or the cockpit of the plane. For scenes with multiple planes or motorcycles, the camera will settle for the largest in the frame. However, if you'd like the option to toggle between subjects, you can leave the camera in Single Point and manually place your point over the further subject - the camera will then prioritize tracking them instead.

And if you like your reviews on 1990s styled websites:

Although people were naturally surprised at the announcement of such a huge camera built around the smallest mirrorless sensor currently in use, the Olympus E-M1X has a best-in-class image-stabilization system that levels things when high shutter-speeds are not critical. Its 5-axis image-stabilization system can compensate for up to 7 stops over hand holding. In practice, it delivers around 5-stops which is better than any other camera and lens combination can reliably perform.

The hybrid 121-point autofocus system delivers a superb performance by combining on-sensor Phase-Detection and Contrast-Detection as one of the fastest autofocus systems on the market. Tracking speed and hit-rate is excellent with only some focus-misses in scenes where small light sources are present. One can efficiently move the focus-point away from such an offending light to get the E-M1X to lock focus.

This mirrorless camera offers an outstanding feature-set with everything needed by professional photographers plus much more, including an Interval Timer with Time-lapse Video feature, Focus Bracketing with Focus Stacking, Cinema 4K and Ultra-HD 4K video modes. Its new very large dual-grip body offers a huge number of controls which are highly customizable. Overall, ergonomics of the E-M1X are very good except for the substantial weight of this camera. Keep in mind though, that the 2X Focal-Length Multiplier means that much smaller lenses are needed compared to a DSLR.

Certainly, the Olympus OM-D E-M1X is a unique and highly specialized camera. Although it is a Micro Four-Thirds mirrorless, this one is neither light nor compact. The action photography features truly deliver though and so this is a camera to seriously consider for fast moving subjects in good to moderate light. For sporting events which are nearly always well-illuminated, this is an incredible camera to use. Its ultra-fast burst speed with deep buffer and blackout free shooting makes it easier than ever to capture action at its peak.
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Review | Neocamera

It always amazes me how some people who call themselves professionals routinely forget that it's not the camera body size/weight that's the issue, it's the lenses. A couple of months ago I was taking pics of an XR rally in Trafalgar Square with the Panasonic 14-140mm - I could zoom out and get wide shots of people right next to me, as well as zoom in and get pictures of speakers a couple of hundred metres away, and quite happily run around in the crowd trying to get different positions, as well as stick it in my bag. Good luck carting a 28-280mm full frame lens about without smacking into people and pulling a muscle.

It always amazes me how some people who call themselves professionals routinely forget that it's not the camera body size/weight that's the issue, it's the lenses. A couple of months ago I was taking pics of an XR rally in Trafalgar Square with the Panasonic 14-140mm - I could zoom out and get wide shots of people right next to me, as well as zoom in and get pictures of speakers a couple of hundred metres away, and quite happily run around in the crowd trying to get different positions, as well as stick it in my bag. Good luck carting a 28-280mm full frame lens about without smacking into people and pulling a muscle.
I got lured into the Sony system because the camera body was only a bit bigger than the Olympus. But, fuck, some of the lenses are fucking huge and horribly heavy.

I got lured into the Sony system because the camera body was only a bit bigger than the Olympus. But, fuck, some of the lenses are fucking huge and horribly heavy.
Yeah, I see a fair number of Sony shooters at protests and it really doesn't matter much how small a body is if you've put a 24-70 F2.8 full frame lens on it. Pricey too. And then you need another body for your even larger 70-210 f2.8. I just can't be arsed personally.

Yeah, I see a fair number of Sony shooters at protests and it really doesn't matter much how small a body is if you've put a 24-70 F2.8 full frame lens on it. Pricey too. And then you need another body for your even larger 70-210 f2.8. I just can't be arsed personally.
It was the size/cost of the 70mm-210mm that did it for me. Even though it's pretty much essential for covering low-light non league football, there's no way I could justify such an outlandish cost. Most of all, I really, really didn't want to lug around such an enormous beast - even less so when it's a 'LOOK AT ME' white finish.

Bought an original Mark 1 one for my Dad as an xmas prezzie for 170 quid with a 14-42. Good deal? It's in great condition and seems like a good bit of kit. Couldnt really justify spending much more tbh.

He doesnt have a proper camera and never uses his camera phone so I hope he finds it inspiring!

The new Olympus OMD EM1 Mark III has been announced. The specs look incredible - 7.5 stops of stabilisation! - but some aren't happy with it retaining the same sensor as before. It can do handheld 50MP images too. Nice compact size.

Olympus OMD EM1 Mark III, a high-end mirrorless camera aimed at photographers and videographers who value speed, robustness and portability. It has a 20 Megapixel Four Thirds sensor, 4k up to 30p, built-in stabilisation with up to 7.5 stops of compensation and 18fps bursts with autofocus, all packed into a tough weather-proof body.

Bought an original Mark 1 one for my Dad as an xmas prezzie for 170 quid with a 14-42. Good deal? It's in great condition and seems like a good bit of kit. Couldnt really justify spending much more tbh.

He doesnt have a proper camera and never uses his camera phone so I hope he finds it inspiring!
I was going to say that there were some good deals on the Mk 1 around, only to find that you'd posted one. I've seen a few in second hand shops as well.

I've generally bought digital cameras that are one generation behind anyway, but we're at the point where an 8 year old camera can still be perfectly good and do everything people need. In fact my most used digital (Leica M9) is over ten years old and takes some amazing photos. The things that made the E-M5 such a game changer back then haven't gone away after all, and it is still very compact and usable even compared to, say, modern Fujis.

Back
Top Bottom