Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics Opening Ceremony | 12pm, Fri 23 July | BBC1

Lord Camomile

Yipchaa!
So, this is going to be a weird opening to a weird games.

I'm casually into various aspects of Japanese culture, so have been looking forward to what they do with the opening ceremony, but obviously this probably won't be the full shebang.

Alongside an empty stadium, the athlete's parade is expected to be severely reduced (which sucks along with everything else for the athletes to miss out on :( ). Apparently around 30 GB athletes are expected to feature.

Plus, obviously, the ceremony's director was sacked earlier this week, joining a few high profile Tokyo 2020 figures.

Fun fact: alongside the tradition of Greece entering first and the host nation entering last, the countries will actually enter in Japanese-language order (katakana, to be precise) :cool:

Why a special mention to the Israeli delegation in Munich nearly 50 years ago?
I missed that specific reference, but I guess that was in reference to those who have lost their lives during the Olympics? I don't know what other deaths there have been actually during games, though, and can only imagine there have been.

God I forgot how camp these things are. it's fucking brilliant. it does need partridge/madeley offering comments now and then though

Why a special mention to the Israeli delegation in Munich nearly 50 years ago?

Because the guy in charge of the ceremony was sacked yesterday after footage emerged yesterday of him making jokes about the holocaust in the 90s (he's a former standup comic or something)

im guess that was a very last minute addition.

Because the guy in charge of the ceremony was sacked yesterday after footage emerged yesterday of him making jokes about the holocaust in the 90s (he's a former standup comic or something)

im guess that was a very last minute addition.
Ohhhh, wouldn't be surprised if it was that, tbh.

Can’t watch at the mo, so I shall have to ask - can you hear the protests from outside the stadium during the musical lulls?

Arrrgh. We were supposed to be there (2020 and 2021).
My wife is glued to it. She's from Tokyo, but also has nerd level LOVE of Olympic opening ceremonies. It's like Christmas for her. . . . apart from her not being there. I can't be in the same room, as there is a chance I will make a comment, and any comment I make has the potential of being the wrong comment and it's not worth the risk.

Arrrgh. We were supposed to be there (2020 and 2021).
My wife is glued to it. She's from Tokyo, but also has nerd level LOVE of Olympic opening ceremonies. It's like Christmas for her. . . . apart from her not being there. I can't be in the same room, as there is a chance I will make a comment, and any comment I make has the potential of being the wrong comment and it's not worth the risk.
Shame she's not on commentary :D

I think the olympics.com bit there at the end says it all. These games should never be going ahead, let's face it. Japan's curve is getting out of control and nobody there wants it. Too much money at stake though.

Back
Top Bottom