Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Northern Italy/Austria/Southern Germany things to do

elmpp

Banned
Banned
I'm in a campervan (small one), travelling alone and have been lake swimming for last week through France. Currently in Bergeggi, Italy; I have another two weeks or so before being back at Calais.

My initial plan was to continue down through Italy but I want to not go any more south as the driving is grating.

My current thinking is to go Verona -> Venice -> Innsbruck (hiking and biking) -> ??.

Would love to hear suggestions of an outdoorsy nature for things and places to do along this looping return journey

Switzerland is probably gonna be a bit out the way. Austria/southern Germany is the sensible route

Berchestesgaden national park

Welcome to the National Park Berchtesgaden - Internetangebot

right next to Salzburg

Where the celebrities go to relax

535822445-adolf-hitler-at-obersee-near-berchtesgaden-gettyimages.jpg

Go skiing/boarding on the Stubai glacier just outside Innsbruck.

Visit Reinhold Messner's mountain museum in the South Tyrol.

Go looking for bears in the hills of Trentino.
Skiing! Apparently the season's begun up there. What are the chances of taking, and staying in, a campervan up there?

Doesn't seem to be a very popular thing to do, judging by web results

Skiing! Apparently the season's begun up there. What are the chances of taking, and staying in, a campervan up there?

Doesn't seem to be a very popular thing to do, judging by web results

There ought to be a campsite somewhere in the Innsbruck area, probably even in the Stubai valley. There was a big car park below the glacier for the lifts, I don't know if you could stay overnight there?

I camped (in a tent) in Trentino this time of year. That campsite was open year round, though very very empty when I went.

There ought to be a campsite somewhere in the Innsbruck area, probably even in the Stubai valley. There was a big car park below the glacier for the lifts, I don't know if you could stay overnight there?

I camped (in a tent) in Trentino this time of year. That campsite was open year round, though very very empty when I went.
Seem to be finding some likely prospects around Seefeld with lifts local. This is really brilliant suggestion, never would have thought it within season. Thanks very much

Merano in the South Tyrol is beautiful this time of year too. Some nice (basket lift accessed) walks in the hills around it, with refuges and bars en route. The spa in the town centre is cheap (public swimming bath type prices iirc) and really cool.

Merano in the South Tyrol is beautiful this time of year too. Some nice (basket lift accessed) walks in the hills around it, with refuges and bars en route. The spa in the town centre is cheap (public swimming bath type prices iirc) and really cool.

...and it's near the Messner museum plus some more glacier skiing. German speaking Italy.

Are you talking about the new glass-fronted terme? Prices seem a little higher than public baths - Terme Merano/Therme Meran – an oasis of wellbeing

Shame cause this would be great on the way up to Innsbruck..

Just visited the thermal baths in Merano and had a great time. Really impressive set up and very relaxing indeeeed. Great suggestion chilango

Off next to Val Senales for the skiing which apparently is very good. Whilst there can catch the Otzi iceman museum

Well, I'm nearing the end of the latest leg, namely the lovely alpine Stubai valley, and am once more at a loss where/what to do.

The route I'm looking at would take me Munich -> Frankfurt -> Brussels. I'm not really interested in the cities but if anyone had any good suggestions along the way I'd be much obliged

Back
Top Bottom