Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Non-Bob Dylan fans

hyperbole time. what teh fuck is that song? the weirdness of teh lyrics, the phrasing, the hynnotic rhythem, if you listen carefully it's just one of the most original songs on the planet. it's not imitating anything. it just sort of is...otherwordly. without genre (or have i missed something - you can't call that "folk") i don't get it. i don't get how he does it. he seems to be be "in" the song, like a switch into character and mode. it's one of his (and there are so many) that will rise to the top of anything every recorded and still be listened to in a 1000 years time.

slightly weird dylan obsessive rant over.

Last edited:
hyperbole time. what teh fuck is that song? the weirdness of teh lyrics, the phrasing, the hynnotic rhythem, if you listen carefully it's just one of the most original songs on the planet. it's not imitating anything. it just sort of is...otherwordly. without genre (or have i missed something - you can't call that "folk") i don't get it. i don't get how he does it. he seems to be be "in" the song, like a switch into character and mode. it's one of his (and there are so many) that will rise to the top of anything every recorded and still be listened to in a 1000 years time.

slightly weird dylan obsessive rant over.

I think we need more posts like this in general on here. Liking the passion. 👏

It made me think of Norwegian Wood but I guess that was copying this rather than the other way round. The rhythm is a straight 3/4 which is quite unusual in folk (it's definitely (contemporary) folk btw) but it's not that unusual. I guess there's a mandolin(?) player backing him but they're not doing much which I feel is a shame. I really liked the harmonica intro - that was kinda special. But otherwise I feel this is Dylan past his best. I like those earlier records, there's just more happening in them and this feels a bit trivial and poppy in comparison. I feel this is the iconic Dylan singing songs for his generation and I just don't care much about that although it certainly captures a mood perfectly.

Sorry.

I actually hate the slidey voice thing he does.

And the shite about gum and wheelchairs.

I dont find his music or sound to be "other worldy" ..just regular grubby old human trudging through life...making money out of misery...making money out of the misery of the human condition.
and its not music that lifts a soul.
It just keeps you in your place.

Sorry. Not a fan.

I saw him live once at a festival in the early 90's - by far the worst, most dissapointing (and i mean truly, utterly terrible) artist i've ever seen, including 'scooch' at a free brmb gig in cannon hill park. it was just two hundred-odd hours of him droning unintelligibly over interminable meandering bland aor. even van morrison who was on after was slightly better, and he had a saxophonist in a loose fitting suit.

Blonde on Blonde is a perfectly nice album, but I've got to take a stance against it. On the album for this song he takes everything interesting in the demo out and adds in more backing musicians doing nothing in particular. I can see it's nostalgia value and how well it captures that 60's vibe, but it's the gentrification of folk music served on a plate with a ribbon. NO!

just give it a chance...needs speakers
Better without speakers :p

I don't normally gripe about music I don't like. If someone has a transcendental moment to a tune it seems a bit cunty to come along and shit all over it. Better to focus on what I do like, and Jesus fuck I listen to and love some stuff that many people would consider complete trash. But you did ask...

I didn't like how he plays harmonica at the beginning. I don't like Dylans voice - as Aladdin says, it's that slidey thing he does with it, best represented here by the way he sings duuuuurrt. I'm not a lyrics person so they mostly passed me by, but his rhyme of through/shoe/you made me laugh picturing an earnest young Dylan feeling proud as he pored over his rhyming dictionary. I did like the guitar/mandolin line. That'd be great as one part of a more fully realised tune, but that's all there is to the music here. It did nothing to convince me that I've been missing out by ignoring Dylan for all these years. Sorry.

okay, so you've never got him. you hate him.

but listen to this. what does it make you feel? i'd be interested, genuienly.

just give it a chance...needs speakers

Because he can't sing and the lyrics are in anapests it makes me think of Dr Seuss. In a bad way.

Blonde on Blonde is a perfectly nice album, but I've got to take a stance against it. On the album for this song he takes everything interesting in the demo out and adds in more backing musicians doing nothing in particular. I can see it's nostalgia value and how well it captures that 60's vibe, but it's the gentrification of folk music served on a plate with a ribbon. NO!
I’ve just listened to the demo and I have to disagree. I don’t like the demo.

Similar to the Beatles -- wrote some good, if overrated, songs, along with some duds. Which are much better when covered by someone else.

The difference is in the extremes -- Dylan was far more overrated, and his voice is a criminal offence. I'm not sure he should even be talking in public, let alone whatever he thinks he's doing when he's allegedly singing.

Last edited:
Similar to the Beatles -- wrote some good, if overrated, songs, along with some duds. Which are much better when covered by someone else.

The difference is in the extremes -- Dylan was far more overrated, and his voice is a criminal offence. I'm not sure he should even be talking in public, let alone whatever he thinks he's doing when he's allegedly singing.

incredible that we've made it to 2022 and some people still think singers all have to be able to hold a tune.

Not at all.
Many love certain singers who occasionally use a slide.

But Bob does it ALL THE TIME.
Every bloomin sentence.
Sometimes every second word.
It's predictable...and painful.

Back
Top Bottom