Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nintendo finally caves: releasing games on smartphones!

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Finally!

http://www.cultofandroid.com/72357/...zelda-and-more-are-coming-to-your-smartphone/

It's a good sign Nintendo are waking up to the threats to their business and acting like grown ups about it (unlike some who've failed at this challenge).

Very happy to hear they're not just going to shove Mario on an iPhone and are actively seeking to create new experiences that work on a touch screen. This is exactly what I hoped for from them!

Nah it means their creative genius being put to use. It'll earn them a ton of cash and mean they can continue investing in their own hardware.

Exactly. Good to see them calling time on the Wii U as well. Roll on the next gen of Ninty!

Well I'm guessing the Wii U still has 18-24 months left, and still plenty of games to come out. I'm particularly excited for Splatoon, the new open world Zelda, the new Star Fox, and the amazing looking Xenoblade Chronicles X. Should more than keep me busy until the new machine. Hell, I'm still playing the originial Xenoblade that game out for Wii :D

I reckon more like 12-18 months given there's talk the new one is coming next year. The main point is Nintendo are finally facing the failure of their strategy in the smartphone/ tablet world and just in time imo.

optimised for smartphone = fail.

RIP Nintendo. You had a good innings :(
Yeah, this.

It's not adaptation or evolution, it's failure. Failure to own the form factor, meaning you have to live within the constraints of someone else's ill suited hardware and software choices. Along with fragmentation and all the rest. Failure to own the ecosystem too, making you a bit player in a world of unfettered content.

It might work for a while but it's a one way street.

Yeah, this.

It's not adaptation or evolution, it's failure. Failure to own the form factor, meaning you have to live within the constraints of someone else's ill suited hardware and software choices. Along with fragmentation and all the rest. Failure to own the ecosystem too, making you a bit player in a world of unfettered content.

It might work for a while but it's a one way street.
To be fair to them, they look to have taken a done-to-death game genre (the runner) and made it look not only gorgeous, but like it might be fun.

Still, though. A fucking endless runner? That's what Nintendo are now reduced to. Sad times :(

To be fair to them, they look to have taken a done-to-death game genre (the runner) and made it look not only gorgeous, but like it might be fun.

Still, though. A fucking endless runner? That's what Nintendo are now reduced to. Sad times :(

They're releasing a new console in March, announced soon.

In-app purchases... Hope they don't fuck this up. Also touch controls still aren't really there imo, not for quick reaction platforming anyway.

e2a: on the latter point the auto-running seems sensible.

Ive seen this described in a number of places as an endless runner, but it clearly had levels with end flags in it. So it can't be and endless runner can it?

I can't even be bothered with Pokemon Go, which looks to me like the worst kind of dumbed-down novelty-for-five-minutes travesty of Pokemon I can imagine. I weep for the depth of combat mechanics that it once was.

I can't even be bothered with Pokemon Go, which looks to me like the worst kind of dumbed-down novelty-for-five-minutes travesty of Pokemon I can imagine. I weep for the depth of combat mechanics that it once was.

Lucky for you Pokemon Sun and Moon are out this month then! Probably the most "deep" Pokemon yet! :)

Lucky for you Pokemon Sun and Moon are out this month then! Probably the most "deep" Pokemon yet! :)
To be frank, I had to go cold turkey after my "Year of Pokemon" when X and Y came out. It was dark times.

Back
Top Bottom