Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nice new image of Jupiter

farmerbarleymow

I'm Petee's spirit animal
The guardian have published this image of jupiter, taken in IR from Earth using something called 'lucky imaging'. Nice to see lightning storm beneath the outer layer of the Jovian atmosphere.

1400.jpg

We call Jupiter "Old Man". Great through my telescope. Can't see the red spot but bands visible, as are the four largest moons.

I used to love watching it with me dad back in the late 70s/early 80s. He had a telescope and used to take me up to the countryside of County Durham to watch the stars - it was ace. Remember watching Halley's Comet too in the 80s, along with other celestial bits and bobs. :)

A few summers ago I dragged my gf up onto the clifftops in Dorset along with a massive hired telescope and we went Jupiter hunting. We were joined by a bemused gang of wild-eyed wild ponies, whose peepers reflected out of the pitch dark.

The Old Bastard gave off a great show, with the main four moons lined up elegantly (I understand that Jupiter has 79 moons - what??? :eek: ), and we walked back through the crooked Dickensian graveyard shitting bricks because we are city-folk and not used to the pitch dark, but with a deeply satisfied feeling.

Back
Top Bottom