Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New York landlord goes on hunger strike over homeless shelter

neonwilderness

What would Badgers do?
https://nypost.com/2018/08/11/landlord-goes-on-hunger-strike-over-new-homeless-shelter/

Mayor de Blasio’s homeless policies are so hard to swallow for a Queens landlord that he’s gone on a hunger strike.

Saverio “Sam” Esposito, 53, said he stopped eating Monday in protest of Hizzoner’s plan to establish a homeless shelter for 113 mentally ill men in his neighborhood by winter.

“I’m going to keep this up till they carry me away by ambulance,” or the mayor agrees to a sitdown, the retired cop vowed.

“I love Ozone Park,” he said. “I know that once they put this [shelter] up, this whole area is going to change dramatically.”

The city is converting a shuttered Lutheran School on 101st Avenue into the shelter, and plans to stop using a local hotel to house homeless people. It expects to find a second site to house another 150 homeless people in the district in the coming years. The Ozone Park site is one of 90 shelters de Blasio wants to open throughout the city.

Esposito is camped out in front of the construction site. Sporting shorts, sandals, a T-shirt and stubble, on Friday he looked no worse for the wear after five days with nothing, he said, but water and coffee to sustain him.

“I don’t feel light-headed. I took my blood pressure. It’s fine,” Esposito said, adding he’d lost 12 pounds since his hunger strike started.

He and some friends were manning a table where they asked passersby to sign a petition against the shelter. Shade from a tree and a fan made the heat, which peaked at 93 degrees Friday, more bearable. Esposito’s also set up a tent where he sleeps at night, and rents a portable toilet. He’s plastered his four cars, parked in front of the shelter building, with anti-shelter signs.

Politicians have also rallied against the shelter.

“This is an administration that does not listen. So we have a resident going on a hunger strike,” said state Sen. Joseph Addabbo. “It is absolutely unacceptable that this individual feels that’s the only way he can gain attention to this issue.”

Esposito, who has 27 tenants, said he’s not protesting to protect property values, but to ensure safety.

Both Addabbo and Esposito said they’d rather see a shelter for women with kids or veterans. They say homeless men with mental health issues could pose a safety threat in the close-knit neighborhood of cozy houses, plus several schools.

So far the city is not budging.

“We’re moving forward with opening this facility as soon as possible to give homeless New Yorkers the opportunity to be sheltered closer to the communities they called home before winter approaches,” Department of Homeless Services spokeswoman Arianna Fishman said.

Esposito pled guilty in 2014 to a misdemeanor in connection with a massive Social Security fraud scheme in which his father Joseph Esposito was one of the ringleaders. Esposito, who said he has long been on bad terms with his dad, did not get any jail time.

“I’ve never stopped being involved with the community,” Esposito, a former community board member, said.

Not everyone who passed by Esposito on Friday agreed with his message.

“It’s kind of messed up,” Yajaira Corona, 21, said as she pushed a child in a stroller. “I don’t think that homeless people are going to bother anybody.”
I'm sure this definitely has nothing to do with the value of his properties.

"I’m going to keep this up till they carry me away by ambulance"

I for one fully support this stance and hope it comes sooner rather than later :thumbs:

39015433_10215176652562738_3556215608074829824_n.jpg

people who desire to show their support for yer man's brave hunger strike can send messages of solidarity to him on facebook at https:/ / www. f acebo ok.com/save rio .s.esposito

Hmmmm- I have a relationship with maspeth - solid blue collar neighborhood at the end of the last century. I have heard about this homeless issue as well - lots of locals have been on public protests against it - shelter= Drug fiends+ pederasts + rapists thang going on here in the background . I know of a couple of locals who have protested against it. Area seems to have gone full Trump recently.

Oh fuck this douche bag.

I live in a poorer neighborhood. Its a neighborhood that contains the majority of homeless shelters, youth services, drug treatment homes, halfway houses, and group homes for the city. I have two halfway houses on my block. They're usually better neighbors than the rich white folk who buy into the neighborhood, who often have agendas that aren't good for the neighborhood as a whole. They're gentrifiers, landlords who don't want to put any more cash into a property than they have too, or developers who want to build large apartment complexes instead of single family homes as it now is. Worst yet, is the old white dude who has nothing other to do than fix up his "classic 1920's bungalow" and drive around the neighborhood looking for things to turn people in for (broken windows, unmowed backyards, junk cars...). They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." ;)

Last edited:
I have just such a neighbour who boringly tries to assert her worldview through passive ( and not so passive) aggressive notes on doors and on cars, and no doubt interminably boring phone calls to housing providers, the council and the police. A petty person who sees herself as some sort of residential crusader.

She has harangued me about dogshit ( which I pick up always), signing a petition to stop the local school being extended (because of teachers parking in our street legally) and will confront other residents about anything that provokes her ire.

This is Streatham, not Chipping Norton ffs. She then insisted that the Asian lads that park up at night to smoke their zoots are actually injecting heroin.

What can you do with people like this? :(

ETA: Wrong thread, ignore my ramblings

Last edited:
Years ago in my neighbourhood , the local newsagent asked if I would like to sign a petition to protest against the building of a supported housing scheme around the corner. Told him I worked in Social Housing and there was no way I would sign it:mad: we didn't have a row about it , the petition failed , the place got built , slight sadness that it was a conversion of a pub :(

Years later , no trouble as a result .:cool:

I worked at a homeless hostel admittidly a really badly managed one and the residents made a real nusicence of themselves chucking sharps out the windows into peoples gardens even though we gave them sharps bins:mad:.
So I can see his point depends on the management plan and who they are actually going to house there.
Could be quiet could be a nightmare.

I worked at a homeless hostel admittidly a really badly managed one and the residents made a real nusicence of themselves chucking sharps out the windows into peoples gardens even though we gave them sharps bins:mad:.
So I can see his point depends on the management plan and who they are actually going to house there.
Could be quiet could be a nightmare.

My view also. If the mental health issues are going to be addressed, then fine, otherwise, not so fine.

Back
Top Bottom