Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Sylvester Documentary Celebrates The Life Of Queer Black Disco Legend

editor

hiraethified
Must have been amazing to see a live performance

Filmmaker Lauren Tabak and writer Barry Walters teamed up to create “Love Me Like You Should: The Brave and Bold Sylvester,” released Thursday. The short documentary is a compilation of archival footage, as well as rare performance clips, charting Sylvester’s rise from Los Angeles choir boy to glam 1970s hit-maker.

Beloved for songs like “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” and “Do Ya Wanna Funk,” Sylvester died in 1988 of an AIDS-related illness at 42. His legacy, however, continues to live on in the likes of “Pose” star Billy Porter, one of several luminaries interviewed for the film. (Catch the “Love Me Like You Should” trailer above.)

“He was a gender-fluid Black man in mainstream music,” Porter says. “That hasn’t happened since. There’s been a lot of us who have tried, and I’ve been trying for 30 years. Nobody did it like Sylvester.”

This documentary sounds great, would love to know more about him

Im sure there used to be a fabulous video for I Need You, with Sylvester in a sparking silver get up - cant find it now - maybe taken down ahead of this documentary as the rights for clips were sorted out?
Its an anthem but its always amazing to hear

Back
Top Bottom