Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question New games machine... X Box, Play station or PC?

UnderOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
I've not played games for a few years, but dark winter nights and maybe playing Fallout 4 does make me tempted.

I've never owned a console before but the idea of the length between upgrades does kinda appeal. Balanced out with more expensive games and having to get proficient with a pad for FPS.

Other option is upgrade the PC. How much would you have to spend to get an equivalent performance to the current gen consoles? Would need new motherboard, ram, cpu and graphics card, so a fair bit.

Anyone else done any upgrades recently and can tell me what's hot? Is AMD worth a look at all? I assume I'm going to need quad core I go this route?

Last edited:
I have a gaming PC and Xbox one, I play the Xbox one more as it just feels more natural to me with the pad, the interface, adding mates, and the whole social side of things.

That being said, if you do invest in the PC, games are cheaper etc

i use a 360 pad with a pc ( you can now use the xbox one controller also )

can you let me know the spec of your pc now and il source what youl need to upgrade it to make it kick the shit out of the consoles ?

if the budgets right, then go pc

i had a ps4 but after sony ripped me off , i sold it and wont go back to them , although it seems the more powerful machine.

If i had to have a console id probably go xbox

I'd need new motherboard, ram, cpu and graphics. Have a decent 500w power supply, case and SSD.

Its currently an E8400 with a 5850.

The simplicity of a console and no upgrades for many years. I really don't have much time for gaming these days. The down side is I quite like FPS games and am shit with a pad for stuff like this.

hmm , you might well be better off with a console,

i picked up an i5 4670k for £130 earlier in the year off ebay ( new ), although they seem to have gone up
8 gb of ddr 3 for 30 quid Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory - Ebuyer
socket 1150 mobo for about 65 quids
ASRock Z97 Anniversary Socket 1150 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

thats £225

now you could get a gtx 780 for about 150 upwards on ebay and youl be future proof for about 4 years i reckon ( for pc games ) it will always be better than this generation of consoles

so totals £375

which isnt too bad , although you may need a more powerful psu

then with games you can go to places like CD keys and get real bargains, or just torrent them

Last edited:
Another point, you have SSD, but how big? you would need space for the games also.

so you may need another drive to install the games on?

PS4 has a decent lead on the Bone in terms of performance, regularly getting higher frame rates in cross-platform games. It's also got better exclusives (IMO). I prefer the xbox controller shape, but you get used to what you have.

hmm , you might well be better off with a console,

i picked up an i5 4670k for £130 earlier in the year off ebay ( new ), although they seem to have gone up
8 gb of ddr 3 for 30 quid Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory - Ebuyer
socket 1150 mobo for about 65 quids
ASRock Z97 Anniversary Socket 1150 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

thats £225

now you could get a gtx 780 for about 150 upwards on ebay and youl be future proof for about 4 years i reckon ( for pc games ) it will always be better than this generation of consoles

so totals £375

which isnt too bad , although you may need a more powerful psu

then with games you can go to places like CD keys and get real bargains, or just torrent them

Yeah, they've gone up a bit, so was looking at the 6500. Slightly more on the Ram that way for DDR4. It's an OCZ power supply so probably a "true" 500w. Wondering if a 960 might be a safe bet for power requirements.

Screenshot_2015-11-12-17-57-32_zpsnugc9idl.png
[/URL][/IMG]

PS4 has a decent lead on the Bone in terms of performance, regularly getting higher frame rates in cross-platform games. It's also got better exclusives (IMO). I prefer the xbox controller shape, but you get used to what you have.

If I went consol I think PS4 would do it on specs, although like you the MS pad is a nicer shape. It using a pad though that's putting me of, although I never found a satisfactory solution to mouse and keyboard on the sofa.

History has taught me to not to back underdogs.
I read up earlier on the thought of maybe I'd like one in a few yrs time but the steam OS is linux based so if there isn't a linux version of the game, you can't play it.

thats a bad thing given the prices on the consoles, spesh as the biggest titles haven't got a linux version.

T
Yeah, they've gone up a bit, so was looking at the 6500. Slightly more on the Ram that way for DDR4. It's an OCZ power supply so probably a "true" 500w. Wondering if a 960 might be a safe bet for power requirements.

[/URL][/IMG]
That would do :)

The 9 series nvidias are great

It certainly would. Ideally I'd trim it to the amount you originally suggested.

I guess that means going back a generation on CPU and a slower i5 and maybe a micro atx motherboard, but that would be a ball ache as I've 6 sata drives. I assume that AMD are dead in the water? The chips are certainty getting on.

That or save for longer

A quick Google suggests they cost more. I've been playing for the last few hours and tbh any savings don't seem to worth the compromises.

However I'm glad I double checked more specs. Despite being skylark that mother board is still DDR3. :)

I told myself that I wouldn't get another console and just stick to pc gaming. But as it looks like the PS4 is gonna be the cheapest way into VR, I'll be getting one.

I told myself that I wouldn't get another console and just stick to pc gaming. But as it looks like the PS4 is gonna be the cheapest way into VR, I'll be getting one.

I'd forgotten about that. Do you know when it's out and how much? Do you mean cheaper as in hardware to run it or the headset itself?

I'd forgotten about that. Do you know when it's out and how much? Do you mean cheaper as in hardware to run it or the headset itself?

It supposed to be out in the first half of next year, price is rumoured to be £300. To run Oculus Rift or Steam VR (which would both probably cost the same as PSVR), you would need a pc that has close to £1000 of hardware.

That changes things slightly then. A quick Google says a 970 will be the minimum spec, so would be silly to do an upgrade that won't run it. Adds another 100 quid to the budget though. :hmm:

I assume the PC version should be better because of this though.

2016 really does look to the year of VR doesn't it. Part of me wonders if I should hold of upgrading the graphics card till we know more. CPUs don't seem to change quite so quickly...

2016 really does look to the year of VR doesn't it. Part of me wonders if I should hold of upgrading the graphics card till we know more. CPUs don't seem to change quite so quickly...
That's what I'm doing. Wait for Vive and Oculus to come out, read the reviews and then see if the software favours AMD or nVidia. Only then will I splurge.

Back
Top Bottom