Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Murray Walker has died, RIP

That's sad. Him and James Hunt commenting on Senna, Prost and Mansell back in the day was brilliant. Good innings though and must have had a great life travelling the world watching races.

For some reason I thought he'd also commentated on Boxing but it's not mentioned on his wiki page.

Most people here are probably aware of his service in WW2. But from wiki:

Walker later graduated from the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, and was commissioned into the Royal Scots Greys. The salute at his commissioning parade was taken by General Eisenhower. He went on to command a Sherman tank and to participate in the Battle of the Reichswald with the 4th Armoured Brigade. He left the Army having attained the rank of captain.

However I never knew this!

Walker created the slogan "Trill makes budgies bounce with health" – an advertising slogan for bird seed in the 1960s – as well as the slogan "Opal Fruits, made to make your mouth water.

RIP a great commentator, while he was the voice of F1 for around 23 years he was commentating for over 50.

I guess we will not hear the like of him again, some of his famous quotes;
"There's nothing wrong with the car except it's on fire"
"It would have been Senna's third win in a row if he'd won the two before"
"And now excuse me while I interrupt myself!"
"And the first five places are filled with five different cars"
"With half the race gone there is half the race to go"
and many more like that :)

RIP a legend in his own lifetime with the (in)famous and very quoteable *malapropisms ...

I know **someone that follows F1 and will be even more saddened by this news than I am.

E2A - *Colemanballs !

E2A2 - I was right, **they've just been in to comment on this news.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ax^
Aw. When I was very young, maybe about 4, we were at a Festival of Speed I think it was, at Brands Hatch (or Goodwood?). My dad was chuffed to meet him and get his autograph. I was sitting on my dad's shoulders at the time, I just remember this nice looking shiny round head in front of me, and started patting it. Very pattable it was. My dad just saw he kept looking up and laughing, and Walker said, your daughter keeps patting me on the head. Lol. That's a fond memory for my Dad, he even told it in his father of the bride speech at my wedding :D

I met him once. I tried striking up a conversation but he seemed a bit anxious and in a hurry.

Probably something to do with the fact it was at Brands Hatch and about half an hour before the start of the British Grand Prix...

RIP, sir.

Back
Top Bottom