Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

More Wenlock misery

UrbaneFox

They've doubled in price
Amazon keeps sending me reminders that Wenlock figures are still on sale. They haven't even got the decency to reduce the price.

I do feel for the ones that have to skip about holding a gold baby and try to give it to the winners on the bloody finishing line.

But this is nice;

1344212782_7848_Capture.JPG

It must be good fun to be in those suits :D I did the sound for the UK Badminton championships at the NIA earlier this year, at one point they needed a crew member to put on their new mascot costume and run around the arena and lark about in front of 8000 people, EVERYONE wanted to do it :D

i thought this was going to be a thread about the wenlock arms but what i couldn't understand was what it was doing in the olympicks forum.

What is the story behind them?

I guess I could google but I wouldnt understand the social class element then.

Wenlock is the name of the (British) chap who revived the Games in eighteen-dickety-three and Mandeville is, I think, for Stoke Mandeville hospital :)

God they're terrible. Everything else in the Olympics came together in terms of branding. I bet they regret these things though.

I got a couple of these, dressed as Beefeaters, in the poundshop in Brixton last week. I think they're worth a pound of anyone's money.

I thought the branding was crap across the board tbh

Nah, it all works, to my eye anyway. Design is obv very subjective though.

I like the angular stuff they've echoed across all their materials/signage/logo/typeface etc. Also like the way the BBC have picked up on it with their studio design.

So that's what those weird things are, I assumed they were something to do with Japanese animation ...

Wenlock is the name of the (British) chap who revived the Games in eighteen-dickety-three and Mandeville is, I think, for Stoke Mandeville hospital :)

Much Wenlock is the town they were held in actually... Stoke Mandeville hospital organised an event for injured WWII vets which inspired the paralympics.

Nah, it all works, to my eye anyway. Design is obv very subjective though.

I like the angular stuff they've echoed across all their materials/signage/logo/typeface etc. Also like the way the BBC have picked up on it with their studio design.

It's fucking woeful. Some of the ways people have played off it are fine, but the base font and logo are utterly shameful. Especially given that the UK has some exceptional graphic/type designers.

It's fucking woeful. Some of the ways people have played off it are fine, but the base font and logo are utterly shameful. Especially given that the UK has some exceptional graphic/type designers.

I thought it was v shit way back but have mellowed now - the skew-whiff numbers on the cones on the lanes on the athletics look great.

Well, it's subjective, as I say. I really think they've worked it beautifully though. So do most other designers I work with.

Kids - and the Russian Olympic Rowing team who were hoovering them up in Maidenhead Sainsbury's last Sunday morning - love them!!

And I have to admit I think the big ones around town dressed as Beefeaters and Post boxes and stuff are great :oops:

But branding isnt always about pretty though no?

I'm thinking about the numbers in particular, they are weird and look like they have been formed out of strips of gaffa tape but forever more they will be inescapably linked to london 2012. I think they are quite powerful branding if not pretty or impressive.

Well, it's subjective, as I say. I really think they've worked it beautifully though. So do most other designers I work with.

Is it you and your fellow colleagues opinion that the blow-job logo is a big inside joke and in no way any kind of coincidence? I mean, putting that image into the public conscious for the biggest event in the whole world is pretty daring.

Back
Top Bottom