Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler: American boxing legend dies aged 66

Great boxer from a great period of middleweight boxing, cant think of a time when there has been a better group of boxers at that weight or level. I saw some of his fights in the States live at the cinema by satellite and went to the fight against Minter at Wembley. There were quite a few known fash at the latter supporting Minter and it was a very tense atmosphere.

I've so far watched the fights vs Hearns, vs Duran 1 and vs Ray Leonard.
Such a great fighter, the epitome of educated pressure.

I've so far watched the fights vs Hearns, vs Duran 1 and vs Ray Leonard.
Such a great fighter, the epitome of educated pressure.
There was a great film about the fights between them. Fabulous four or something?

Boxing was very exciting during the 80s , Marvellous, Hit man, Sugar Ray , Duran. The heavy-weight scene wasn't as big as that weight , they were welterweight? Although I think some moved up a few (Hitman)

RIP Marvin.

Sad to see him go so young.

Hagler for me was the greatest of the four, unfortunate to lose a debatable decision to Sugar Ray.

Imagine for us mere mortals walking onto one of those hooks.

Boxing was very exciting during the 80s , Marvellous, Hit man, Sugar Ray , Duran. The heavy-weight scene wasn't as big as that weight , they were welterweight? Although I think some moved up a few (Hitman)

RIP Marvin.

I think the competition between the four elevated the division to a point where it transcended the sport.
The UK experienced the same thing on a smaller scale, I remember the Benn/Eubank etc battles.

Regarding Heavyweights in the '80s - mostly it was one man dismantling all before him. He spoke with a squeaky voice.

Great fighter. Stopped following the sport a while ago, but remember him well.

Is that young for a boxer? Confess I don't know. Fit athlete's for sure but they get battered for years/decades.

It's just young in general isn't it.

Hard to say how much getting smacked about for a living effects life expect across the board - CTE is definitely a real thing and plenty of boxers suffer with their health and perish before their time. Others just roll on and seem to be ok.

Bit like life I guess for us all but if I had to bet I'd say the trauma suffered may ultimately outweigh the fact that boxrs are also ultra-fit athletes.

He retired after that fight, one of the reasons banded around cos SRL wouldn't give him a rematch.

It's a pickum fight for sure, I can see it both ways.

Sugar Ray Leonard: He didn’t come to fight, he came to last. He came to go the distance, he didn’t come to knock me out. He just wanted to survive, so I would have to say he used his best defense to survive.

He was only 28 or something when he fought Ray. His last 3 fights were against Hearns, Mugabi and Ray - that’s some roster.

I remember watching him beat Alan Minter on the telly (Boxing was on BBC or ITV then) and feeling ashamed at the reaction of the British fans :( :mad:

Back
Top Bottom