Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Mail Merge: Including individual letters as attachments to emails.

Hollis

bloody furious
I have got as far as using mail merge to generate letters. I can also use it to generate bullk emails.

What I can't figure out is if its possible to attach the individual letters to the emails I'm sending out?

:hmm:

Outlook and word. I think I'm coming around to sending them as emails being the easiest option.

You also have the problem of separating the letters into individual files to attach to the emails,

Possibly a macro for the email side?

I’m sure I did something (in excel) years ago with a macro that meant I could get a spreadsheet full of data, filter on a column, save the filter as a separate sheet, then email the file to recipients all in one go

That’s not the same as what you’re looking to do admittedly but shows that something similar is possible?

Yes - I think it involves a macro - but macros are my cut-off point in Excel!

It seems mail-merge has limitations... I think you can also probably buy other software packages to manage bulk emailing? mailchimp.. dunno..

It seems mail-merge has limitations... I think you can also probably buy other software packages to manage bulk emailing? mailchimp.. dunno..
I used the excel macro for dummies book for this, which I borrowed off my housemate at the time who was the librarian at Microsoft campus.

I would not say I knew how to write excel macros, but I could google how to do whatever thing I want the macro to do and then adapt the sample code from the excel forums to meet my requirements, then trial and error until it works and all the separate commands are strung together into a long chain of code - probably not the tidiest code - but it worked.

Mr excel forums was what I found useful I think

Mail merge does have its limitations.

Mr Excel forums are brilliant, as are his books (or used to be, it has been a while).

It seems that mail merge with attachments can be done, according to these results anyway. Dunno how they've achieved this./haven't watched them. I know it can be done if you spend money, but where's the fun in that??!!?

1000017055.png

How many emails do you want to send? Mailchimp's free plan includes up to 500 contacts and 1,000 sends per month, with a daily send limit of 500.

It can
I have got as far as using mail merge to generate letters. I can also use it to generate bullk emails.

What I can't figure out is if its possible to attach the individual letters to the emails I'm sending out?

:hmm:
Sending individual attachments along with emails can be achieved within the Microsoft Word environment using a plugin: Mail Merge Toolkit.

You can specify existing files to be sent, or generate a new ones on the go.

Back
Top Bottom