Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Madison Square Garden MSG Sphere venue planned for Stratford

I quite like it.

And yes to more music venues!

(though Central or West London would've been nicer given we no longer have The Astoria or the Hammersmith Palais)

do we need another massive venue for huge pop acts in the capital?

Probably not, unless there's access issues for trucks and stuff for the others. Which, ironically, is a massive problem for MSG itself, and why many music, wrestling events etc now take place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

I quite like it.

And yes to more music venues!

(though Central or West London would've been nicer given we no longer have The Astoria or the Hammersmith Palais)
It’ll be much bigger than that though won’t it? I agree there’s a shortage of mid sized venues, I can only think of the Apollo

Edit: oh and the shepherds bush empire

It’ll be much bigger than that though won’t it? I agree there’s a shortage of mid sized venues, I can only think of the Apollo

Edit: oh and the shepherds bush empire

It doesn't say what the capacity is - only that it's earmarked for a 5 acre site. But it'll be reasonably big. Just a ball ache to get to/from unless you live nearby. And not much of an area you'd want to hang around in - bit like Wembley.

That said, some of the visuals look pretty rad...

First visuals revealed of Populous' spherical London arena

The exterior of the sphere will be covered in digital screens used to promote artists and brands. Internally the seating bowl will feature a screen that the MSG describes as the "largest and highest resolution media display on Earth".

populous-msg-sphere-london_dezeen_2364_col_3.jpg

The arena will contain a range of high-tech audio and visual equipment including a "custom spherical camera system" and an adjustable acoustics systems.

populous-msg-sphere-london_dezeen_2364_col_0.jpg

It looks impressive, but as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, band/acts/shows etc need to be able to get their trucks to these places. One assumes there is a road you can't see at the back in those pictures.

Othewise performers are going to hate it.

Also just realised they are showing people playing computer games on a stage, Jesus, has it really come to that.

They just photoshopped a picture of the earth from space onto some pretty shit renderings of walkways (look at the barriers on the one in the foreground, must have taken all of five minutes to design those)

Who gives a toss what it looks like, it'll probably be given away to West Sham as their new ground :eek:
Who knows, they might get a bit of atmosphere in there!

Back
Top Bottom