Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Macbook Pro 2012 - is it time to move on?

zedr

new but not *that* new
I need some advice

I think my 2012 Macbook Pro has finally given up the ghost. It will only boot half way. Ive tried using a Time Machine backup, reinstalling MacOS and resetting PRAM, booting from an external drive all with no luck. Looking online seems to suggest its a hardware issue, probably with the logic board though I dont have enough knowledge to understand if thats right or not.

I've had the laptop for almost 10 years and Ive already replaced the logic board once about 3 years ago. Its a bit of a Ship of Theseus machine as Ive upgraded the RAM, installed a SSD harddrive, replaced the battery and last year replaced the screen.

If the problem is the logic board, I think I can find one online for about £75. But I'm not sure how much longer I should keep on trying to revive the machine. As I mentioned on the cables thread, I'm very sentimental and find it hard throwing things away.

If I were to go for buying a new machine, I dont have a huge budget. Ive stuck with Apple for 15 years or so because I bought into all the hype about it being better for music and graphic design. Is that still a thing? Ive not used any other OS properly for a long time.

I'd probably go for something refurbished. Preferably something which is easy to repair by myself (which is why I've loved the 2012 Macbook).

I'd want to be able to use Ableton (was enjoying the simplicity of Garage band and have loslost lots of demos Id made in the last month and stupidly not backed up!!). It would also be nice to do Zoom calls use Discord and browse the internet at the same time without the machine overheating so I can do long distance ttrpgs. Id also want to use it for work, but thats all on Google Drive so pretty simple. One potential benefit of getting a newer laptop is to use it for gaming.

So what should I do? Fix or Replace?

Ive stuck with Apple for 15 years or so because I bought into all the hype about it being better for music and graphic design. Is that still a thing?
It could be, but from your perspective I'm not sure it's going to matter that much, at least as far as performance goes. Just about any new or recent device you buy--Windows or Mac--is likely to be so much more powerful that your old computer that the difference will be night and day. Ableton, Zoom and Discord will all work fine on Windows.

The main question, I think, is whether you're willing to adapt to Windows as an operating system, and to some new key combinations (CTRL instead of CMD, for example). If you'd prefer to stick with MacOS, then maybe you take your budget and spend it on a slightly older Mac rather than a slightly newer Windows device.

I'm a Windows person myself, but one area where Mac shines is in the hardware, and for someone like you who keeps their computers for a long time, this should probably be a consideration. Macbooks are just solid and well built. Some Windows computers are, but some aren't. My backup computer, a laptop, is a cheap HP I picked up about four years ago, and the cheapness shows in the build quality. It's light and tinny, and has developed gaps around the screen and difficulty opening and closing.

For the equivalent money its possible to buy even better specced windows machines.
I go with Lenonovo ThinkPads as they're built like tanks

I'm dreading the day my 2015 laptop goes tits. It's got all the connections I need and docks into a giant thunderbolt screen for me to work from home on two screens. I'm not even sure what I would haven't buy to replicate the same working situation. . . . And I assume it would cost a fortune.

Do you need a laptop? Mac minis are very good value.
I’m looking for a second hand M1 16gb 1tb. Saw one for under 700 quid with 2 year warranty at CEX but missed it.

What you will get with a new Macbook is an ARM chip running at stupid speeds with low power consumption. All the ARM Macbooks are absolute beasts.

Personally I made the decision to go open source and get a Framework laptop and run Ubuntu on it, because I was concerned about my general reliance on Apple infrastructure (also, my work laptop runs Ubuntu, so it's convenient for me not to have to change things up). However it's one or the other. In your situation, where presumably you aren't so concerned about open source or infrastructure, I would just buy another Macbook. The amount you pay vs the lifespan has always been a very good ratio.

I’m looking for a second hand M1 16gb 1tb. Saw one for under 700 quid with 2 year warranty at CEX but missed it.
To add, I’m still on a 2012 MacBook Pro that I bought second hand. It’s great but the fan kicks in a lot now as everything is pushing it more and more

This. I've recently bought an M2 one which is great for most of my needs.

I still have my 2013 MBP for when I'm away from home. I need to get round to wiping that and reinstalling the things I need which I'm hoping will give it a bit of a boost and make it last another few years.

The main question, I think, is whether you're willing to adapt to Windows as an operating system, and to some new key combinations (CTRL instead of CMD, for example).
Also this. I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to copy and paste on my work Windows laptop and the start menu has popped up :D

Yeah refurbs can be a good deal. In a couple of instances I have had to return them though - it's a painless process, they don't mess with you, they just take it back and fix it, but does intrinsically take a little time.

Don't buy one from the handful of shit years. Still Intel, shit keyboards, no ports, stupid touchbar. 2015-2019 or so for the keyboards, maybe a bit later until everything else was resolved.

OS updates stop at about 8 years, except the Intel -> ARM change might alter that for some models I guess.

To add, I’m still on a 2012 MacBook Pro that I bought second hand. It’s great but the fan kicks in a lot now as everything is pushing it more and more
This is exactly what I've been on. Bought it second hand for about £300. It's been a bit frustrating not being able to update it to the latest OS, but I've become so used to it and it does most of the things want from it. I'm scared of change.

Might be worth a look here. 24 month warranty

Know this is ridiculous but I'd never thought of CEX for laptops. I just connect it with getting and exchanging cheap games/consoles :facepalm:

Lots of great looking bits on there. Will look into it.

One of the things which appealed to me about the 2012 Macbook Pro was how easy it was to repair. I don't know loads about hardware, but it was easy enough to follow a guide on ifixit once if done some basic troubleshooting if a problem came up. I've heard Apple tried to make repairing their machines more tricky, is that actually true?

This. I've recently bought an M2 one which is great for most of my needs.

I still have my 2013 MBP for when I'm away from home. I need to get round to wiping that and reinstalling the things I need which I'm hoping will give it a bit of a boost and make it last another few years.

Also this. I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to copy and paste on my work Windows laptop and the start menu has popped up :D
I grew up using Windows and have a custom keyboard so not so fussed about all that. Not big on some of the newer Windows OSs when I've played around with them, but not properly a new one for 5 or so years so I'm probably wildly out of date.

Just realised that I can get a Chromebook with work, so could potentially look into getting a desktop although I might miss the convenience of being able to travel with a laptop for music.

I have a late 2011 and a mid 2012, both still working perfectly. Not sure if I'll be getting another when they're no longer usable, can't upgrade/replace the RAM, battery or storage on later models which puts me off them.

I use a Toughbook for Windows and it's a decent, durable machine. Just not as nice to use as the Macbooks.

I’m frightened of windows.
Had brief dalliance but that was difficult, despite only needing to do one thing.
Using Macs for over twenty years now so doubt I’ll change. Definitely not a fan boy.
Just a tool that suits this tool.

Last edited:
This currently seems like the winning option. Nice little upgrade on current machine. Under £300. 2 years warranty so I can save up for something longer lasting.

Downside is the repairability which seems shocking.

Did look into thinkpads as a pal swears by them. But looking into it suggested they weren't great for music production, which is a key thing it will be used for.

This currently seems like the winning option. Nice little upgrade on current machine. Under £300. 2 years warranty so I can save up for something longer lasting.

Downside is the repairability which seems shocking.

Did look into thinkpads as a pal swears by them. But looking into it suggested they weren't great for music production, which is a key thing it will be used for.
Just to be clear, I've only used them before for a power adapter so have no experience of anything beyond that (their warranty service)

I will definitely buy from there if they have what I want, when I have the money to to buy it, though :)

Just to be clear, I've only used them before for a power adapter so have no experience of anything beyond that (their warranty service)

I will definitely buy from there if they have what I want, when I have the money to to buy it, though :)

Looking into it the 2 year warranty doesn't seem quite as good a deal as it initially sounds.

All items purchased have a 2-year warranty except consumables (e.g. removable batteries, projector bulbs).

If you purchased an order online and it becomes faulty within the first 30 days of purchase, you can return it to any CeX store to be tested and refunded if found to be faulty. Alternatively you can post the item back to us. If your item develops a fault after 30 days through normal use, please let us know using the contact form HERE as soon as possible. In the first instance we will either repair or replace your item, failing that you will be refunded to the original price within the first 6 months of purchase. After 6 months any refund will be to the current sales price or the original price (whichever is the lower), to the original payment method. Please note that any repairs done by a third party will void any warranty with CeX.

For details on returning the item via post, click HERE.

Though still being able to get the price of the same machine back meaning you can effectively exchange it sounds good.

So the lovely new//old machine arrived today. Great. Looking in really good nick apart from a very well worn 'E' key :hmm:. Unboxed it an began installing my Time Machine backup onto it. Then realised it was on the old Yosemite OS, so none of my things would run. Added to that Yosemite is no longer supported, so you can't actually access the apple support pages when using it!! Was hoping I could upgrade straight to Catalina, but the installer stalled for some reason so I'm currently updating it to High Sierra and then will hopefully bring it back up to Catalina so I can actually use all my files etc.

I forgot all this hassle when I last rebooted/updated my 2012 MBP but fucking hell Apple like to make things shitty for you.

Upgraded to High Sierra, then still couldn't download Catalina. Tried to use this patch which seemed to half work. Tried a few times to install Catalina but they always stalled halfway through. In my frustration I decided to wipe the whole machine and start again. Installed Yosemite, updated straight to Catalina and then transferred all my files from the Time Machine. Looks like this was my big mistake, trying to transfer files for Catalina over to the machine which was using Yosemite. Seemed to do quite a number on it. Managed to get it up and running and seems to be working okay. CEX included a cheapo power supply, not the official Apple one which isn't ideal.

Apart from that it's mostly good. Couldn't put my music library on the machine as it's not got enough space, but I don't really use it, and I'm going to be writing lots of little demos/sketches in the coming months so happy to make space for that. Annoyingly I'll need to figure out how to get my definitely not cracked version of Ableton back up and running, but shouldn't be too much of a pain.

Might give it a bit of a test and see how well it runs Disco Elysium. Managed to just about run it on my last machine, wonder if this will do any better. Have been meaning to give it a second play through.

Back
Top Bottom