Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Losing Battery Life after 18 months?

savoloysam

Ready to move into the light
Is this normal with the modern premium phones? I normally replace mine every 3-5 years. My 18 month old Sony XZ Premium is now stuggling to maintain 24 hours before charging. It's a beast of a phone so it takes a fair amount of juice. I don't want replace it so soon so I might send it off for a new battery.

Last edited:
I've got a zx compact and battery life has been perfect but I try to do the never over 90 never under 20 thing. Rarely needs more than one charge a day and I do seem to spend half my day looking at it.

That does seem soon but i'm guessing you still sometimes get unlucky with a battery.

I wonder if laptops have gotten better. I never knew a laptop to keep the same battery life for more than 12-18 months

Figure 1 illustrates the capacity drop of 11 Li-polymer batteries that have been cycled at a Cadex laboratory. The 1,500mAh pouch cells for mobile phones were first charged at a current of 1,500mA (1C) to 4.20V/cell and then allowed to saturate to 0.05C (75mA) as part of the full charge saturation. The batteries were then discharged at 1,500mA to 3.0V/cell, and the cycle was repeated. The expected capacity loss of Li-ion batteries was uniform over the delivered 250 cycles and the batteries performed as expected.

lithium1.jpg

I've got a zx compact and battery life has been perfect but I try to do the never over 90 never under 20 thing. Rarely needs more than one charge a day and I do seem to spend half my day looking at it.

I had the Z3 compact before. I've had it over 5 years now and use it as a backup phone. It's still got a good battery. Sadly my aging eyes can't see much on a screen so small now

Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to buy a refurbished phone that guarantees a new battery?

Bought daughter a refurbished iPhone 6S and the battery died after 6 months. Had it replaced locally (not Apple certified) and the new battery expanded in the recent heatwave and cracked the case.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to buy a refurbished phone that guarantees a new battery?

Bought daughter a refurbished iPhone 6S and the battery died after 6 months. Had it replaced locally (not Apple certified) and the new battery expanded in the recent heatwave and cracked the case.

You could buy a second-hand iPhone and take it to an Apple store for a proper battery - £49.

Last edited:
You could by a second-hand iPhone and take it to an Apple store for a proper battery - £49.

Thank you. I remember now that we could not go to the Apple Store because it was closed during lockdown. The phone was about to die and we went to the only place nearby that was open.

Is this normal with the modern premium phones? I normally replace mine every 3-5 years. My 18 month old Sony XZ Premium is now stuggling to maintain 24 hours before charging. It's a beast of a phone so it takes a fair amount of juice. I don't want replace it so soon so I might send it off for a new battery.
Sometimes doing a hard reset - ballache that it is - can bring back battery life.

I gather that there is to be legislation to make phone batteries user replaceable.

Some EU nonsense. Phone batteries nowadays are precisely eningeered to fit around other components, and the phones are often waterproof with glass backs (for wireless charging). Making batteries user replaceable would result in inferior products for most people, and it‘s not like the batteries aren’t replaceable at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom