Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Open House - 6 to 17 September 2023

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
London Open House is again over a week and a half this year - 6 to 17 September 2023, so will have two weekends.

New contributors - as in opening a building or landscape, or doing guided walks etc, are being invited

Contributors to the Open House Festival can put on open days of flats, buildings and landscapes, or run tours, activities and events as part of the official festival programme.

Buildings range from private houses to 'behind the scenes' bits at large public buildings.

More at

Invitation is now out to sign up to be a volunteer steward at the event

I've done it a few times - tends to be in chunks of half a day (obviously you can sign up for more than one if you feel so inclined although doing both halves of the same day probably isn't practical) - mostly the two weekends, although some places open during the week.

I've done it a few times (haven't done it since before teh covid - not quite sure why i didn't last year, think it was combination of rail strikes and maybe something mum-tat related) - you're not expected to be an expert (although finding out the basics about the building you go to is recommended) - you're not giving guided tours (although there is a level of volunteering where you can do that at some places), it's more being additional 'front of house' (appreciate that's not everybody's thing, but doesn't bother me.)

i've tended to do smaller places that either aren't usually open to the public, or smallish venues where they need a few extra people for the weekend. not sure i'd fancy being queue management at somewhere 'big ticket' but that appeals to some people.

think they usually do have one or two evening briefing sessions (generic, rather than specific to individual buildings) but they aren't compulsory.

actual volunteer spots will be open for online booking in august.

They used to do booklets and you could pick one up at local libraries but I think it's all on line now.

:(

(just to make clear that while i do a volunteer steward thing some years for LOH, i've no involvement beyond that)

it's difficult - the proportion of people who want something on paper is getting ever smaller, and generally speaking, the smaller the print run, the higher cost per unit. and even if something is paid for, there's then the risk of not selling enough to cover costs. and the risk of late alterations happening as soon as you've sent something to print.

the same question is frequently raised when it comes to timetable information for bus / train services (which i do have some involvement with in my work life...)

but 'it's all online' does exclude people.

to add to the things to do list, but also to the confusion, some london venues are opening over the same weekends as part of the national 'heritage open day' scheme - it all seems to have got a bit tangled - london open house tends to focus a bit more towards architecture and buildings / structures, heritage open day a bit more all encompassing, although there's a lot of overlap, and they used to be different weekends in september.

HOD website has a listing for venues in London. Some places seem to be listed on both.

I must get on and sort out what I'm doing this year...

First Open House I've been to for a few years , we went to 195 Mare St , which is a Georgian house (sort of , built in 1697 so there wasn't a George on the throne , I think the owner described it as Willimarian? ) . It is currently being restored and has local art on display , beautiful building .

I went to the Mare Street house yesterday as a volunteer I had been in there once before recently, it's a great old house. So glad that it's finally been taken on by people who really care for it.

Afterwards I visited the arty studios in Beck Road which are situated under the railway line arches, amazing spaces, so large inside and some great work!

my plans were a bit disrupted and last weekend didn't happen for a variety of reasons, so didn't volunteer anywhere this year.

Saturday -

did the National Audit Office building (built as Imperial Airways offices and London terminal) opposite Victoria Coach Station and a couple of the learned societies at Burlington House, as well as some of the vintage buses that were out on route 38 for the day. Missed a couple of other places I'd intended to go, the bus service got loused up by combination of roadworks and a couple of demonstrations at the central london end.

Today -

Granada Cinema, Tooting (now bingo hall and a lot of slot machines cluttering up the foyer) followed by Thames Police Museum at Wapping, followed by what was Alexandra Palace Station.

This followed by a meet with some other urbanites at Golders Hill Park, but that wasn't part of the event and don't think any of us quite qualify as historic structures just quite yet...

All in all, the event seems to have shifted a bit towards more small places, and greater proportion of pre-booked guided tours / walks rather than buildings just being 'drop in' like pre-covid events.

Back
Top Bottom