Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Intl Ska Festival 2018

ska invita

back on the other side
Just saw a gig advertised as part of this:

Horace Andy & Johnny Clarke
General tickets on sale Saturday 2 December 2017 4.00pm
London Intl Ska Festival: Horace Andy & Johnny Clarke Tickets | O2 Academy Islington London

Where:
O2 Academy Islington
When:
Sunday 1 April 2018 - 6.00pm
Support:
Ras Digby (Sir Jessus dubplate special) <<(no idea what that is!!)

Johnny Clarke the real draw for me...definitely going to this!
-----------------

We are honoured to announce 5 more legendary Jamaican names for The London Intl Ska Festival 30th anniversary are; Horace Andy, Johnny Clarke, Freddie Notes, Otis Gayle and Clive Chin!

Our 30th anniverasry hits the capital from 29th March – 1st April 2018.

Full line up to be announced this week, but it already includes all of the above plus Ken Boothe, Derrick Morgan, The Clarendonians, Doreen Shaffer, Lone Ranger, Pama Intl, African Head Charge, Alpheus and many more!

29th March - 1st April 2018
LIVE ACTS:
KEN BOOTHE
HORACE ANDY
DERRICK MORGAN
FREDDIE NOTES
JOHNNY CLARKE
CLIVE CHIN
THE CLARENDONIANS
LONE RANGER ft. Soul Stereo
DOREEN SHAFFER
OTIS GAYLE
THE ORIGINAL ACES
AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE
PAMA INTERNATIONAL
POTATO 5 horn section
ALPHEUS
MAROON TOWN
CAPONE & THE BULLETS
BOMBSKARE
THE UPPERTONES (IT)
THE HYPOCONDRIACS
CARA-JANE MURPHY
THE NICE GUYS
SMILEY & THE UNDERCLASS
ALMIGHTY UPRSIERS
More to be announced
DJs/sound systems:
GLADDY WAX sound system
RAS DIGBY (Sir Jessus dubplate special)
ASHER G
AXIS VALV-A-TRON valve sound system
PHIL BUSH SOUNDS & PRESSURE
TIGHTEN UP CREW
OXMAN
TIME TUNNEL
LITTLE DIANE
LILI RUDIES
To be announced

I wonder what Clive Chin will be doing??

Last edited:
The Time Tunnel gang (me and my mates) will be doing our annual stint at this (closing party night 'til 2am) after Johnny Clark and Horace Andy....

London International Ska Festival 2017

27067021_1798676370164239_46270113663369926_n.jpg

London International Ska Festival 2017

Have a fucking monstrous skanking time everybody :) :) :cool:

I'm ludicrously jealous out here, 200 miles+ away :(

(Rare moment of regretting leaving London, at times of events like this ....... :hmm: :oops: )

Last edited:
Was checking out the lineup a while back, and again now :)

Horace Andy was superb in Cardiff when we saw him fairly recently, and (longer ago) Johnny Clarke** has been just as amazing live IME ....:) :) :)

**even if he's not John Cooper Clarke ... or is he???? :eek:... there's been a suspiciously "co-incidental" "cancellation" of a "Dr" JCC "poetry" gig in Newport (Gwent) tonight:p ... the two Clarkes have never been seen at the same event I dont think!!;)

Enjoy African Headcharge too!! :) :)

And I'm delighted to find now that Pama International are still going :cool: , I thought they'd been defunct for years :oops:

But all of those names are (or look to be) utterly fabulous. Hope your DJing gets a great reception Nanker Phelge

Last edited:
Are the finances safe for the festival future, do you know Nanker?

Erm....safe is not I word I would use.

A lot of people put in time at this Festival for love and not money (including me)....

If they didn't it couldn't happen.

But sales are looking really good this year, and that may help with the deficit still owed from previous years.....but it will take some time before this ever makes money, or pays for itself.

Erm....safe is not I word I would use.

A lot of people put in time at this Festival for love and not money (including me)....

If they didn't it couldn't happen.

But sales are looking really good this year, and that may help with the deficit still owed from previous years.....but it will take some time before this ever makes money, or pays for itself.
It's a wonderful thing and long may it last...it's got that air of labour of love all through it...big up all involved

Johnny Clarke lived up to my very high expectations and then Horace Andy went a smidgeon better - amazing gig. Both in strong voice and energy levels. Horace Andy I think better in the flesh than on record - more engaging somehow. Both back in the uk later in the year, heartily recommend catching them if possible. Dub Asante backing band super tight as well. And Ras Digby seems like a top selector...plays around south london it seems (Ritzy mainly at the mo). Great night topped off by Nanker in action and still standing :thumbs:

I am knackered. I DJ'd Sat and Sun til the wee small hours.....my legs hurt, my body is done.

Such a fantastic weekend. Ken Booth made me cry...three times.

We played records...a lot of records.

To have Lynval Golding come up and tell me how much he enjoyed our set, and to call it joyous and wonderful, was a moment.

I hate what the The Specials have become, but what they, and 2 Tone, did for my young mind can never be undone. I was informed and free and political and fighting because of them.

Best year yet. I am emotional writing this. I wish I could hug everyone and use that feeling to change the world...

....and no, I haven't taken an E. I am just happy and I care.

interview with Ken Boothe while he was here this week. if you do youtube subscriptions this channel (Don Sinclair) is well worth a sub

Ken Boothe was one of the most popular and soulful singers of the rocksteady era, arguably second only to Alton Ellis. Where Ellis was silky smooth, Boothe's vocals were deeper and grittier, earning him a reputation as Jamaica's answer to Wilson Pickett. First rising to popularity as part of a ska duo with Stranger Cole, Boothe forged a solo career on Clement "Coxsone" Dodd's Studio One label during rocksteady's prime, building a generous part of his repertoire on American soul covers. Even after the advent of Rastafarian roots reggae, he managed to score further hits with other producers, most notably the U.K. chart-topper "Everything I Own."

Boothe was born in the Denham Town area of Kingston, Jamaica, on March 22, 1948. His mother and older sister were both singers as well, and Boothe grew up listening mostly to American soul music. He started performing in his teenage years, forming the duo Stranger & Ken with his friend Winston "Stranger" Cole. They cut several singles for Duke Reid and Leslie Kong before hitting their stride on Clement "Coxsone" Dodd's Studio One label with a string of ska hits over 1963-1965: "World's Fair," "Artibella," "Hush," "Thick in Your Love," "All Your Friends." Dodd encouraged Boothe to record as a solo artist, and he and Cole both embarked on solo careers. Boothe's first solo single for Studio One was 1966's "You're No Good," and he notched his first solo hit that year with "The Train Is Coming," a soulful rocksteady track (with backing by the Wailers) that established him as one of the new style's hottest new stars. He quickly solidified that position with another smash, "Feel Good."

Buoyed by his good looks and heartthrob appeal, Boothe tore off a long string of hits over the next few years: "I Don't Want to See You Cry," "Everybody Knows," "Just Another Girl," "Moving Away," "Come Tomorrow," "Mustang Sally," and "Puppet on a String" among them. Some were covers of American and British rock and soul tunes, and most were for Dodd, although Boothe did take brief sojourns to other producers: Sonia Pottinger (1968's "Say You"), Keith Hudson ("Old Fashioned Way"), and Phil Pratt ("I'm Not for Sale," "Can't Fight Me Down"). Also in 1968, Boothe issued the first of several albums for Studio One, Mr. Rock Steady, which gathered some of his previous hits. In 1970, Boothe moved over to Leslie Kong's Beverley's imprint, where he cut several hits in "Freedom Street," "Why Baby Why," and "Now I Know."

Following Kong's untimely death, Boothe recorded for several other producers in quick succession, landing the hit "Silver Words" for Winston "Niney" Holness. Boothe truly struck gold, however, when he teamed up with producer Lloyd Charmers on the U.K. Trojan label in 1971. The association started to bear fruit with two albums, 1973's Black Gold and Green and 1974's Let's Get It On (after the titular Marvin Gaye cover). Then, later in 1974, Charmers suggested that Boothe cover the Bread hit "Everything I Own." Released as a single, Boothe's version became a left-field pop smash in the U.K., going all the way to number one. His 1975 follow-up, "Crying Over You," nearly made the Top Ten, and the Everything I Own album also sold well. #Preserving & #Documenting #Reggae #SoundSystems #Culture For more #Quality Vibes #Subscribe to our YouTube Channel..

Are the finances safe for the festival future, do you know Nanker?

From the horse's mouth:

I am also delighted to say financially the festival turned a profit this year, so has made another dent in my ongoing debts! I am still doing all the accounts but it looks like another £10,000 has been taken off the debts! This leaves the festival debt at somewhere between £55,000 and £60,000. Along way to go still but I can’t tell you how happy I am that the festival finances are once again heading in the right direction.

With this in mind, today I am putting 5 events onsale (including Thames cruises, Clash In Dub and the LISF2019 patrons ticket), as well as making the 2018 merchandise available, which I think was our most popular merchandise ever. We also have the Rudies All Around compilation, which bands have very kindly donated songs to. Buying tickets, merchandise or the music helps me to clear the debts and keep the festival surviving and growing.

29790046_10156590356112214_6345645628143435776_o.jpg

The London International Ska Festival needs your support...
We are still in debt to the tune of over £50,000 and need to clear more of it this summer.

You can help by purchasing our upcoming Rudies All Around compilation starring 18 bands from 13 countries playing the finest ska, rocksteady, reggae & dub incl;

Capone and the Bullets (Official), Miserable Man, Le Birrette, The Uppertones, The King Kong 4, The Rulerz, Pama International, Phoenix City All-stars, Atsushi Moisty Ukito, Travelers All Stars, Los Aggrotones, The Scotch Bonnets, The Lions, Rocksteady Sporting Club, Masons Arms, The Bionic Rats, Dan P and The Bricks and Pannonia Allstars Ska Orchestra!

What's more there are 5 Golden Tickets hidden inside the CD and LP versions of the album. Each tickets allows the lucky finder and a friend into The London Intl Ska Festival 2019!

V/a Rudies All Around - preorder, by Various artists

I'll try and remember over the weekend when I get paid and I'll pick up the LP box set, its been a while since I bought some wax

Back
Top Bottom