Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loch Lomond proposed speed restrictions.

Frankie Jack

Not a bloke..
Anyone out there interested in the National Parks proposal to introduce speed restrictions to the loch.

I work in one of the small businesses that will be greatly affected by the proposed changes as it will mean a huge reduction in the amount of watercraft on the loch, mostly speedboats and jet skis.

A local web site has been put online to direct to info and have a say.

fair play loch lomond

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who ha knowledge of the effects of the restrictions in place on Windermere. Has the community there suffered financially in any way. I'd appreciate any links to the Windermere situation if anyone has an interest.

There is also the feeling that the proposals will be pushed through parliament without real discussions with those who will be affected directly as all "Public Consultations" seem to be directed one way, and the public have no real say.

That website says you want to 'Give a voice to the silent majority burdened by unnecessary legislation and interfering bureaucrats'.

This whole campaign is really about the use of speedboats etc and to be fair they are in the minority and not the silent majority when you include walkers, canoeists, campers, sailors etc. As a regular walker round Loch Lomond i have to say i do find the noise and attitude of some users to be intrusive and irritating in a very peaceful location. I could be convinced of higher speed limits in certain areas for people, but am afraid that website didnt do it at all. It didnt even try to address the concerns of those that want stricter laws by admitting there is a problem, which there is.

I believe that you need to address the issues for all the Loch users and currently it appears the campaign is just about letting petrol/speed freaks do what they want.

As i said i am open to being convinced.....

There really are lots of other wet bits of Scotland that people with fast boats can show off in. Loch Lomond is a bit special. Jet skis and so on are too much - can we not have slow boats, like slow food? :cool:

I'd love to get you
On a slow boat to China
All to myself alone

Out on the briny
With the moon big and shiny
Melting your heart of stone
Honey I'd love to get you
On a slow boat to China
All by myself alone :D

Back
Top Bottom