Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liverpool St station - proposed part demolition & redevelopment 2023

teuchter

je suis teuchter
Only just got around to trying to understand exactly what's proposed. There are a lot of images and articles going around but few actually explain anything in detail.

I actually had not appreciated how much of the original station was demolished in the 1980s.

For now, here's a bunch of stuff:

The developers' website

The video there gives a brief glimpse of a useful 3d overview, around 02:10 onwards

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 00.06.36.jpg

(Most of that red coloured 1980s rebuild is proposed to go completely)

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 00.06.57.jpg

We never get to see an overview of what's actually being built over that new concourse though.

This video kind of shows what happened in the 80s:

Here's a great set of photos from just before and during the 80s rebuild

And finally here's some info against the relaunched "Liverpool Street Station Campaign"

I've used Liverpool Street regularly for 30 years (yes that does make feel old) It's my most used station by far . It seems to get "upgraded" every decade or so , and never seems to nail the upgrade , it's never managed it like Kings Cross/St Pancras did . So I will be watching this closely (unable to avoid it tbf)

View attachment 363588 :thumbs:

View attachment 363589

It's of note that they don't seem to have released any images that show what it'll look like from the street, other than that one with the oblique view, and the face-on one where whatever's happening above the hotel building is cropped out.

It looks like a temporary structure made of scaffolding. Architects are a hoot.

Anyway it has a roof garden so that makes everything ok.

That Jago Hazard video is actually a bit rubbish. I watched it yesterday and it failed to actually explain what is and isn't proposed.

Don't know what to think yet of the outdoor elements, but the proposed redevelopment of the station concourse and other interior elements look quite pleasing, I thought...

Liverpool-Street-upgraded-concourse-%C2%A9Herzog-de-Meuron-resize-2-1024x595.jpg

Liverpool-Street-Great-Eastern-Andaz-Hotel-Restored-Ballroom-%C2%A9Herzog-de-Meuron-resize-1024x576.jpg

That Jago Hazard video is actually a bit rubbish. I watched it yesterday and it failed to actually explain what is and isn't proposed.

I found his point quite interesting on the whole ‘public consultation’ charade. From what I have seen of the exterior it looks fugly, just a glass office block ruining the whole classic aesthetic of the main structure - the interior looks alright though.

View attachment 363589

Thing is, it isn't going to look like that shimmering cathedral of light, it's going to look just like the rest of the glass and steel obelisks that dominate that part of the city. But with white railings or something.

I'm partial to the odd glass/steel obelisk, some of them are quite pleasing but that's just misleading architect flammery.

The interior of the station is rubbish tbf , and it is depressing arriving there to see huge crowds because of a cancelled trains. They have been updating parts of the area around the station , they have just about finished redeveloping the entrance from Broadgate Circle , although the circle itself is supposed to be getting redeveloped too , it used to have an ice-skating rink which I liked (but never used).

The interior of the station is rubbish tbf , and it is depressing arriving there to see huge crowds because of a cancelled trains. They have been updating parts of the area around the station , they have just about finished redeveloping the entrance from Broadgate Circle , although the circle itself is supposed to be getting redeveloped too , it used to have an ice-skating rink which I liked (but never used).

Yes it is shite inside.

Great. So when I worked next to Blackfriars’s bridge for four years they closed Blackfriars station for the three year remodel ing.

St Pancras became my go to station just when they started the, fantastic TBF, redevelopment.

Now I have moved so Liverpool Street is my main London arrival point.

Fucking brilliant timing …

Great. So when I worked next to Blackfriars’s bridge for four years they closed Blackfriars station for the three year remodel ing.

St Pancras became my go to station just when they started the, fantastic TBF, redevelopment.

Now I have moved so Liverpool Street is my main London arrival point.

Fucking brilliant timing …
Could you please get at job near Euston next?

View attachment 363589

I don't think the City needs more office space.

Whilst more people have returned to the City I still see offices which are now only partially in use.

WFH for some at least is permanent. Even if they come into the City for a few days. And for face to face meetings.

It might be better to start thinking of building (affordable) housing in the City.

Back
Top Bottom