Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lightening hair with lemon juice indoors

Corax

Luke 5:16
Okay, so I fancy going a bit blonder again. Before I've used either peroxide (in my teens) or proper dye kits. I can't be arsed this time though, and I don't want to do anything too drastic anyway.

I started combing some dilute bleach through my hair for a couple of days, then learned that won't work. So now I have some PLJ in a pot by the sink and am using that instead.

Thing is, I've learned that lemon juice lightening is only 'activated' by UV, and I'm currently living in Mordor.

I have a 'full spectrum' setting on my desk lamp though - will that work?

The lamp is one of these:
Isolem lamp - Google Search:

But Corax is the wrong name to be blond. :D. I have the notion, possibly wrongly, that Shirl used to work with hairdressers, so she might know clever things.

Last edited:
Chamomile is supposed to help lighten already fair hair - I used to use chamomile shampoo when I had long fair hair as a young 'un. I can't remember whether it made any difference though, as that was thirty years ago. :hmm:

For the lemon juice and lack of UV - you could buy yourself a black light.

UV Blacklight: Amazon.co.uk

Of you're dark haired then be prepared for orange or red tones.
And once that happens get some purple shampoo and put it on dry hair...leave it for 30 minutes. It'll time the ginger down...or else you'll need an ash toner.

Lemon juice will take a good while to work and needs a bit of sun.
Bleach will remove your colour and leave you with orange red...which you will need to tone. See above

I read somewhere that vitamin c tablets crushed into conditioner with something else (maybe baking soda) can take colour from hair and lighten it...but you'll still need toner.

If your hair is light brown you might be lucky and it might not go red or orange.

I don't mind a 'strawberry blonde' look tbh.

No cash whatsoever until I find a job, so blacklights etc are out!

But Corax is the wrong name to be blond. :D. I have the notion, possibly wrongly, that Shirl used to work with hairdressers, so she might know clever things.
Having worked for 5 years in a hairdressers I'd say don't do it yourself. :(
Boots sell various lightening products with toners. Usually around £7 or £8. If you really can't afford to get it done for you then I'd get along to Boots
So far as I know lemon juice only works with the sun and even then the results aren't great.

Also, hairdressers and local colleges often have apprentice training days and colouring can be really cheap. It's worth ringing around.

Back
Top Bottom