Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's hear it for the 12 Bar Club, central London

editor

hiraethified
I've always had great nights at this wonderfully old school venue in the centre of London.

12-bar-club-london-01.jpg

12-bar-club-london-03.jpg

There's always a good mix of people and I love the shambolic nature of the place. And any boozer with Aladdin Same and Suzi Quatro on the wall is alright by me.

Anyone else feel the love?

Some pics: http://www.urban75.org/music/12-bar-club-london.html

I'm trying to remember whether I've been there. Is that the one with the upstairs loft area overlooking the stage with the sloping roof, where you basically have to crawl everywhere? And all the tiny little rooms? If so it's terrific.

I like it, although you sometimes can't see the band's heads if you're not right at the front...! But yes, seen some brilliant shows there. How many does it hold? 100?

I like it, although you sometimes can't see the band's heads if you're not right at the front...! But yes, seen some brilliant shows there. How many does it hold? 100?
The sight lines may not be perfect (*) but I love the feel of the place.

It's like a proper venue - a bit messy, a little bit falling apart - and the staff are friendly and I've always found the crowd to be an interesting mix of people too.

It was ruddy great there last night with a bit of the old Bradys vibe.

(*) that's something of an understatement!

I put on a very small DnB night in there once! I dont really know why they let me do it - completely out of step with the venue - I love a small venue though! the manager at the time was obsessed with wishbone ash who he says he used to manage. every conversation came around to wishbown ash (i still dont know who they are/were though).

Wandered in there one afternoon after messing about in Andy's without retail intentions next door. Ended up chatting over a spliff and some coffee with some random character sorting out the stage for the evening. Robyn Hitchcock nights were always good.

Fantastic venue, met some great people there and now they've fenced the alleyways around it off from the road the smoking area outside has become a big private garden.

Thats my fav venue in london. The beer's fucking awful mind you, usually warm and flat. But that aside - i think its just the sheer hedonism of the place that i like. Anything goes.

The seats up on the little balcony are brilliant... birds eye view.. :D

Very confused about Grade 2 listing, as mentioned on the petition link posted by editor above -- you'd surely think that being listed ought to offer some protection from being flattened .... :(

Anyway I've signed it -- the petition very recently reached 10,000 names.

Very confused about Grade 2 listing, as mentioned on the petition link posted by editor above -- you'd surely think that being listed ought to offer some protection from being flattened .... :(

Anyway I've signed it -- the petition very recently reached 10,000 names.
Grade II listing provides no real protection against demolition if the authorities are so minded.

Do we know more about why its under threat? I know that there are big plans afoot for that area around Centre Point - partly why Astoria got knocked down - is it to do with that or is this a new encroachment? Those other plans have already been approved IIRC...

wasnt the astoria because of crossrail? denmark street I think is being made into another soulless square like the one behind centrepoint... just general development. off to rehearse there this afternoon for probably the last time.

I guess if the owner of 12 bar is happy to sell then there's nothing to be done about it

wasnt the astoria because of crossrail? denmark street I think is being made into another soulless square like the one behind centrepoint... just general development. off to rehearse there this afternoon for probably the last time.

I guess if the owner of 12 bar is happy to sell then there's nothing to be done about it
yes astoria is crossrail but theres a bigger redevelopment project associated with crossrail - shop n shit
i know at one time there was some gangsta business involved with the block that 12 bar was part of - that block had a good sized dodgey venue at one point (did a couple of parties there - was above Toppers heardressers) and there was a spot you could score from that got raided really hard a few years back...

if youre going there maybe you can find out more about what the score is re 12bar?

Last edited:
sorry got this too late! all the back alley of 12 bar is scaffolded over... doesn't look great. buildings on the other sideof back alley are gone end of this month I think

Back
Top Bottom