Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Learn Irish...1960s Buntús Cainte RTE

My attempt at learning some Irish backfired, as I've posted before...

I've just remembered something funny, when in Ireland I was interested in learning a little Gaelic, sadly none of the young people we mixed with were interested in it.

One night in a bar, I was pushing for someone to give me at least a Gaelic greeting to use, the fuckers gave me one - póg mo thóin - they said it was 'good evening'.

So, off I went to get the next round, and this stupid fucker started the order with the landlady with my new Gaelic greeting, which in translation is actually 'kiss my arse'. :facepalm: :D

Last edited:
From 1967. Buntús Cainte

Episode 1

That fella's cheeky smile. 😍

It's my Mums and all that side of the families first language as well, but I know a couple of phrases at best and have no idea of how they'd be written. I do wish I'd paid attention.

The presenters all have very posh accents in English mind, None of the family speak like that.

It's my Mums and all that side of the families first language as well, but I know a couple of phrases at best and have no idea of how they'd be written. I do wish I'd paid attention.

The presenters all have very posh accents in English mind, None of the family speak like that.

I was laughing away here at the very posh RTE accents.
😄

We have seachtain na gaeilge here this week.."week of Irish".
Everything Irish language related is celebrated. Especially music.

I remember Buntús Cainte from National School around 81/82 I think. So they rinsed that then. Also Peig.

Was sent off to the Gaeltacht for 3 weeks or so and hated it. Connemara was beautiful though. Was like a different planet for this kid who had lived in both London and Dublin in a non religious household. Met loads of kids from all over Ireland who hated it equally.

I eventually wriggled out of Irish owing to my mixed early school days but still remember all the foot drill commands from my days in the FCA.

Oh and...An bhfuil cead amach ma sé do thoil é?
I didn’t google that so the spelling may be a little off.

It’s like Irish RP isn’t it? 😂

It was considered very uncool when I was at school and everyone hated it. Partly because of the way it was taught I believe. Has the situation improved?

It's very "popular", in that loads of all Irish Primary and Secondary shools have opened in the past 20 years.
Gael scoileanna.
But really you're going to hear Gaelic in the gaeltacht areas mostly. In the shops and whatever. Communtities there have Irish as their first language...

It's very "popular", in that loads of all Irish Primary and Secondary shools have opened in the past 20 years.
Gael scoileanna.
But really you're going to hear Gaelic in the gaeltacht areas mostly. In the shops and whatever. Communtities there have Irish as their first language...

Aye. Very rare to hear it in Dublin but it did pop up occasionally. We had one down the road from my school. The one the Hothouse Flowers went to. I forget it’s name now but that was the only one I knew of.

Glad it’s on the up, can only be a good thing

still have my copy

51zPhuEiVYL.jpg

ZWZhYzhhN2M5OGNhYTUyNjEyZjViNzgwZjY4NTdkZjUW5ZlXzF6mM-QKb8erRFEoaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWYyMzQxNTZlMjFjODQwNTA1NzA3ZjJjNmY2NDA4OGY2YzBiNzAyMzQyYWVmNTgzZWYwNmE5MTNjNjMxNDZmYi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

The Internet is helping with this too - there are little pockets of gaeilge on twitter, YouTube and reddit and on mastodon the culture is very bi-lingual friendly with a little community of people speaking a lot of these similar languages (eg Scottish Gaelic and Welsh) who seem to be sticking together.

Mind you, anyone remember this 2020 Wikipedia controversy?

The 2007 map above is slightly out, in that a larger area of Mayo is designated Gaeltacht.. Achill island and belmullet peninsula.. corresponding to the dark green areas on the 2011 census map.
The gaelscoils and tg4 TV station have broadened it's reach and popularity but it's fairly rare to hear Irish spoken casually.
Music is still a popular medium for it though.. and it sounds brilliant..

Last edited:
The 2007 map above is slightly out, in that a larger area of Mayo is designated Gaeltacht.. Achill island and belmullet peninsula.. corresponding to the dark green areas on the 2011 census map.
The gaelscoils and tg4 TV station have broadened it's reach and popularity but it's fairly rare to hear Irish spoken casually.
Music is still a popular medium for it though.. and it sounds brilliant..

True. Although I grew up in a city but knew families who spoke Irish all the time. You probably wouldnt hear Irish spoken in shops and businesses outside of the gaeltacht areas though.

Back
Top Bottom