Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Land of Mine. Danish/German War Film

Spymaster

Plastic Paddy
Anyone seen this?

We watched it last night and thoroughly recommend it.

Based on true events it's about a shameful episode in immediate post war allied/Danish history in which several thousand German prisoners of war, mostly teenagers, were illegally detained and forced to clear over a million landmines from Danish beaches. Half of them were killed or seriously injured and starved. It's very well acted, beautifully shot on the genuine beach locations in Denmark, and is an interesting mix of inhumanity and decency. The actor who plays the unpredictable Sergeant Rasmussen (Danish ex-violent criminal, Roland Moller) is brilliant, as are most of the cast of mainly unknown youngsters and the mine handling scenes are nerve-shredding. Mrs Spy was looking away for much of the film.

Warning: it opens with a scene of a violent and prolonged beating of a German POW.

It's on Amazon Prime Video.

Last edited:
Cheers Spymaster, cracking film, edge of the seat stuff and amidst all the tension and hatred a glimmer of humanity.
Excellent cast and locations. A story that needs to be known.
I will be recommending this to a lot of people.
Interesting portrayal of the British military I thought, nice to see another nation's point of view!
:thumbs:

Cheers Spymaster, cracking film, edge of the seat stuff and amidst all the tension and hatred a glimmer of humanity.
Excellent cast and locations. A story that needs to be known.
I will be recommending this to a lot of people.
Interesting portrayal of the British military I thought, nice to see another nation's point of view!
:thumbs:
Glad you liked it.

I'm surprised it's not better known. It's up there with Das Boot for 'other side perspective', imo.

Very powerful, I need a second attempt to get through it as was too nerve wracking for the first go.
Same for Mrs Spy. We're watching it again tonight.

Apparently, Zandvliet filmed some of the mine-handling scenes first, without the actors knowing if they were going to set off a pyro-bang (thus "killing" them and knocking them out of the picture) so in those scenes the players were actually shitting themselves.

Last edited:
From our viewing last night it seems as though the opening scene of the beating has been shortened a fair bit from when we first watched it. Is that possible?

Fantastic film, watched it a couple of months back. As spy says, up there with Das Boot. I can't phrase it in a way that isn't a bit trite, but it truly is powerful, thought provoking stuff about the difference between seeing the other side as the reduction of "enemy" and then knowing them as individuals. It was both horrible and beautiful.

I would definitely put it in the top five category of war related films. So much anger and anguish before compassion surfaces.
Brilliant story about humanity.

Can't find this anywhere. Is it known as anything else?
No idea. It was definitely called that though. Try varying your search terms a bit?

German language doc about the experience of the infantry on the frontline. It was a real eye opener.

I'm sure I'm right on the name. Must be something out there somewhere :hmm:

Anyone seen this?

We watched it last night and thoroughly recommend it.

Based on true events it's about a shameful episode in immediate post war allied/Danish history in which several thousand German prisoners of war, mostly teenagers, were illegally detained and forced to clear over a million landmines from Danish beaches. Half of them were killed or seriously injured and starved. It's very well acted, beautifully shot on the genuine beach locations in Denmark, and is an interesting mix of inhumanity and decency. The actor who plays the unpredictable Sergeant Rasmussen (Danish ex-violent criminal, Roland Moller) is brilliant, as are most of the cast of mainly unknown youngsters and the mine handling scenes are nerve-shredding. Mrs Spy was looking away for much of the film.

Warning: it opens with a scene of a violent and prolonged beating of a German POW.

It's on Amazon Prime Video.

Finally got round to watching this, a truly excellent movie. :thumbs:

Just been googling, found literally fuck all.

I'm not imagining things :mad::hmm:

Let me have a think

I've had a poke about and can't find anything either.

Back
Top Bottom