Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kingstonian v Hamlet (Isthmian League Cup) REVISED DATE Tuesday 7th November

Pink Panther

After Ks home game was washed out yesterday, and with three days of fairly dry weather forecast before more heavy rain on Wednesday, this match has been brought forward by 24 hours.

So is it the Velocity Trophy, the Isthmian League Cup or both? Or the Velocity Isthmian League Cup Trophy?

So is it the Velocity Trophy, the Isthmian League Cup or both? Or the Velocity Isthmian League Cup Trophy?
It's now officially the "Velocity Trophy". Personally I find sponsorship names for competitions confusing as they change every few years while it's effectively the same competition, so I ignore them. It was previously the "Robert Dyas League Cup" and the "Alan Turvey League Cup sponsored by Robert Dyas" within the last decade. I can't be doing with all that bollocks. If Alan Turvey (long serving former Isthmian League official) deserved to have it named in his honour in the first place it seems a bit disrespectful to erase his name from the competition title only a few years later.

It's a knockout cup exclusively for Isthmian League clubs and has existed continuously for almost 50 years, which makes it the "Isthmian League Cup" in my book, but it's no longer mandatory to enter and many clubs on the geographical margins of the league have opted out. Only 57 of the league's 82 clubs have entered this season (including 16 of the 22 Premier Division clubs) and this round is the last 32

Last edited:
Trying to remember all the different routes I used to take to Tooting! I don't think I ever settled on one option.

Struggling to even think of a good pub nearby. Memory clearly not what it was...

Trying to remember all the different routes I used to take to Tooting! I don't think I ever settled on one option.

Struggling to even think of a good pub nearby. Memory clearly not what it was...

All routes have problems My preferred one was to Mitcham Junction and then walk through the industrial estate (unless tram was imminent).

There are no good pubs nearby.

Your memory is fine.

I would have bewn there tonight, but for the late date change. Wednesday doesn't look so bad weather wise now.

If you're starting from East Dulwich (or Peckham Rye) you want to change at Tulse Hill (or Streatham if your train stops there, where you won't need to change platforms) for a Thameslink service to Mitcham Junction, then it's one stop on the tram to Mitcham. I've never walked from Mitcham Junction, as I can see no easy route on any map, and given the frequency of the trams I don't see any point attempting it in the dark if you're unsure where you're going.

The connections don't look great for going back via that route unless the match finishes promptly and you don't have to wait for a tram. The tram also connects with train services at Wimbledon and East/West Croydon. I usually went home from the evening games via West Croydon.

Northern Line to Morden, then bus 118 to the ground is another option. Also bus 201 from Herne Hill via West Dulwich passes Mitcham Tram Stop, although I'm not sure what it's like in rush hour traffic. I occasionally used that to come home if one was due and I knew I was going to miss a train connection. (I'm assuming most people will have phone apps for live running information, making it easy to check for train delays or pick the route with the shortest waiting times.)

The only pub near the ground is The Crown, close to Mitcham Tram Stop in the opposite direction, but it sounds to be more of a restaurant and I've never visited. It's the only oasis in a pub desert, so you may be better off just using the clubhouse.

For any more adventurous drinkers, The Trafalgar at South Wimbledon recently reopened, a former SW London CAMRA pub of the year and reportedly still very good. It's close to South Wimbledon Underground Station (Northern Line) and 8-10 minutes walk from Morden Road Tram Stop for connection to the ground.

From Forest Hill you can Overground to West Croydon and then Tram to Mitcham
Bear in mind the trams only run eastbound from West Croydon. From there you'll need to go to East Croydon and change to come back in the opposite direction, or walk several hundred yards to board a westbound tram at Reeves Corner. ThIs route works a lot better for the homeward journey.

I forgot to mention (if anyone is unfamiliar with them) the tram fares are the same as bus fares. It's £1.75 flat fare and counts towards the daily bus fare cap of £5.25. You must touch in on the platform, there are no card readers on board, and don't touch out at the other end. If you've already used a bus within 1 hour of touching in, it's a free journey as one of the unlimited number of bus journeys permitted within the hour.

The downside is you have to touch out on the train platform if changing at Mitcham Junction, then pay again for the tram, it's not charged as one continuous journey like changing between train and tube. Of course you might "accidentally" forget to pay for the tram when it's only one stop, but beware of ticket inspectors.

Thanks for the advice Pink Panther pompeydunc Nivag, actually that is just as I remember, not easy at all unless someone drives, and even then it's a long slow drive from Peckham/ED.

The Trafalgar was v good before and I have heard good things since, but you are right, it's miles away. (now called the Traf on Google maps)

So in a repeat of the summer friendly vs T&M, got here just in time to get chips (excellent, no queue) and see the opposition score. First 30 seconds? At least two mistakes. And they almost scored again.

So in a repeat of the summer friendly vs T&M, got here just in time to get chips (excellent, no queue) and see the opposition score. First 30 seconds? At least two mistakes. And they almost scored again.
8 seconds according to Ks. Still plenty of time to get back into the contest.

Lots of changes for tonight's cup tie. New player on loan

Hak suggested he would pick squad players and rest regulars in his post-match interview on Saturday, which put me off going tonight, but this is extreme. Pascal the only Saturday starter retained in the XI, despite his head injury, and 4 others on the bench.

It looks like this is the latest recruit:

Quite good in parts, but overall a depressing under performance against a team with a handful of league points and few remaining fans.

I get that some players need a chance but I don't understand the logic in changing virtually the entire team. Surely better to go full power and aim to get a few goals up and then bring on some fringe players.

It's like Gavin left a stack of envelopes on the managers desk saying 'open ahead of cup games' and inside it says 'don't try that hard, it's only the cup'.

Is this a “trial” or a “loan”? To my mind trial would mean his current club had released him, loan means they could recall him.
He’s on trial with the club but to feature tonight he had to be signed hence the wording of the post.
He’s not associated with any other club currently.

Entertaining game . B team out there tonight. Players who created a favourable impression ...Hansson had a really good game topped by a fine individual goal. Previous appearances he looked a bit lost amongst older stronger opponents. Not tonight though. Looked a promising player. Clifton also had a good game and has a knack of heading in direct from corners. I think that is his third in recent weeks. Led the line well. Shonibare looks an exciting propect. Lots of pace and trickery and really needed to see more of the ball.

I am not sure the rest would usurp anyone from the 1st 11. Okpolokpo probably had he worst stsrt you could have when trying to make an impression. Looked like he miscontrolled the ball twice straight from ko to go gift them a dream start. After that i could see his attributes particularly his pace which his lacking in our backline and could s real asset. On rhe other hand felt sorry for Ricketts. He clearly wants to do well but doesnt appear to have the legs anymore. He won some challenges but was then robbed as the opponent recovered quicker.

The only real plus I can take from that was that it was cheap to get in.

It was also one of the poorest attended Hamlet games I've ever seen. Just 104 people bothered to show up and I'd imagine you could find more atmosphere on Pluto.

Entertaining game . B team out there tonight. Players who created a favourable impression ...Hansson had a really good game topped by a fine individual goal. Previous appearances he looked a bit lost amongst older stronger opponents. Not tonight though. Looked a promising player. Clifton also had a good game and has a knack of heading in direct from corners. I think that is his third in recent weeks. Led the line well. Shonibare looks an exciting propect. Lots of pace and trickery and really needed to see more of the ball.

I am not sure the rest would usurp anyone from the 1st 11. Okpolokpo probably had he worst stsrt you could have when trying to make an impression. Looked like he miscontrolled the ball twice straight from ko to go gift them a dream start. After that i could see his attributes particularly his pace which his lacking in our backline and could s real asset. On rhe other hand felt sorry for Ricketts. He clearly wants to do well but doesnt appear to have the legs anymore. He won some challenges but was then robbed as the opponent recovered quicker.
Exactly how I saw it too. Almost word for word.

Hansson, looked particularly impressive in the hole, and parts of his game reminded me of a young Erhun tonight. Also, not much more that 5ft 3 in too ;-)
Clifton lead the line well, and made himself a presence.

What a calamity the opening goal was! Okpolokpo must have thought what have I done?! After that though I thought he was very impressive. Quick, strong, first to the ball in 50/50's etc. Put him in the side with the first team regulars and I can see potential in this one.

Totally agree about Ricketts. Seen better days, and couldn't cover the ground, plus passing was not up to scratch. I'd also do away with Alfie Allen, just not good enough.

My overriding thought though was that not too many of these squad players would trouble the first team regulars, and that is a little of cause for concern when we will have injuries/suspensions coming up...

PS: Did anyone pick up their 50/50 1st prize winnings of £14? :)

It was also one of the poorest attended Hamlet games I've ever seen. Just 104 people bothered to show up and I'd imagine you could find more atmosphere on Pluto.
Attendances of that size were the norm for our home games in this competition and the London Senior Cup 15-20 years ago, although there were probably almost no away fans at those games. As recently as 2009/10 we only had 103 for an Isthmian League match against Burgess Hill. Also, don't underestimate the impact of switching the date at short notice. There may be no logical reason for most people not to go as result (a few will obviously be inconvenienced, but others will prefer the Tuesday) but this sort of thing always seems to shave numbers off the anticipated figure. Allowing clubs to opt out of the competition devalues it too.

If Kingstonian had been playing Not Police last night I reckon that figure would have been closer to 50. It looks like they're dying on their arse playing there. It's clearly less convenient for their supporters than sharing at Corinthian Casuals, attendance figures have dropped since the move, and there's little hope of attracting new supporters while playing there. They only just avoided relegation last year, and if they drop this time it's hard to see them returning in a hurry, so doubtless attendances will dwindle further.

Exactly how I saw it too. Almost word for word.

Hansson, looked particularly impressive in the hole, and parts of his game reminded me of a young Erhun tonight. Also, not much more that 5ft 3 in too ;-)
Clifton lead the line well, and made himself a presence.

What a calamity the opening goal was! Okpolokpo must have thought what have I done?! After that though I thought he was very impressive. Quick, strong, first to the ball in 50/50's etc. Put him in the side with the first team regulars and I can see potential in this one.

Totally agree about Ricketts. Seen better days, and couldn't cover the ground, plus passing was not up to scratch. I'd also do away with Alfie Allen, just not good enough.

My overriding thought though was that not too many of these squad players would trouble the first team regulars, and that is a little of cause for concern when we will have injuries/suspensions coming up...

PS: Did anyone pick up their 50/50 1st prize winnings of £14? :)
Haha I meant to check the 50/50 especially when I got two tickets, guess that’s just another windfall that will pass me by

Back
Top Bottom