Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kids' tagalong bikes: good? Safe?

Placid Casual27

Gorau Chwarae Cyd Chwarae
Hi all I am thinking of getting a tagalong for my 4-year old daughter to tag on behind my bike. I will get it through the Cycle to Work scheme so it should be relatively cheap

Questions that occur to me, are they any good? Like it means we will be able to go for way longer rides as it will not involve her making the effort, but is that me just being selfish as I want to go on longer rides. She has a normal bike of her own for knocking around the shops etc

Also are they safe as long as I do not ride like an idiot?

Also what makes should I look for, what should I bear in mind etc? The 2 companies in my Cycle to Work scheme are Evans (pricey I know) and Cycle Surgery, which seem to stock hardly any tagalongs, at least on their websites.

What should I do? Are they fun, is the bottom line

Thanks

never used one myself but have sold and installed a fair few, never seen anyone unhappy with them. they appear to be a great solution for that too big for a kiddy seat but too small to keep up phase, the fact you can drop the kiddy at school then detach it and lock at the school gates with minimum bumph left on your bike is pretty sweet.

I will get it through the Cycle to Work scheme so it should be relatively cheap

Are you sure you can do that? Are you buying it in conjunction with a bicycle?

I ask as the scheme requires to you purchase a complete bicycle and I wonder whether the Inland Revenue would consider a tag-along as a bicycle in its own right (and for your use) and not merely a trailer?

Might be worth checking with the Tax Office or you could find the taxman deciding you have to repay the tax later. :hmm:

Thanks for both these, had not considered the tax eligibility thing, will suss it. Maybe I need to by myself a new bike for no apparent reason

Are all tagalong makes much of a muchness?

Thanks
M

not heard of anyone having a problem- the cycle to work scheme give you up to a grand to spend in a bicycle shop, what you spend it on is afaik your choice. :)

not heard of anyone having a problem- the cycle to work scheme give you up to a grand to spend in a bicycle shop, what you spend it on is afaik your choice. :)

Looking at the fine print, it has to be a cycle and/or safety equipment (I'd heard this mostly in discussions about buying just a frame with CtW funds and building a bike around that with your own components - which probably wouldn't qualify).

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainable/cycling/cycletoworkschemeimplementat5732?page=1#a1002

DfT said:
Eligible equipment includes cycles and cyclists' safety equipment. The tax exemption defines a "cycle" as 'a bicycle, a tricycle, or a cycle having four or more wheels, not being in any case a motor vehicle' (192(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c.52)). An electrically assisted pedal cycle can be included under the scheme.

Cyclists' safety equipment is not similarly defined in the legislation and a common sense approach should be taken to the equipment provided.

• Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
  • Bells and bulb horns
  • Lights, including dynamo packs
  • Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
  • Cycle clips and dress guards
  • Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
  • Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
  • Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
  • Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors

I suppose you might make a reasonable case that it's to allow you to safely carry a child. :hmm:

Implementation rules of Evans' and Cycle Surgery's schemes may be tighter than the official guidelines.

We have one (a trek I think, from Apex in Clapham - cost about £150). Random thoughts:

We use it on the road for my 5 yr old boy. We let my 3 yr old daughter on it when not on roads.

It helps to have someone riding behind to check that the little tyke is putting in sufficient effort :D.

You can't use it with a carbon seat post, so my wife has it on her bike whilst I have daughter in a Rhode island rear seat on my bike.

I tend to ride behind when on the roads so as to "block" traffic, although I am sure that is not necessary.

Watch your turning circle (also applies to trailers) as you may clip when going round corners.

It takes up quite a lot of storage space

You can also get something called a "tailgator" that you can use to tow your kids normal bike behind yours. Not used one, but may be worth investigating

bottom line - kids love it and ask to go on it. It's ok for longish trips. It gets you and the family out into the fresh air more than would otherwise be the case - go for it

n

Someone here uses one - is it Strumpet?
Hello :D

Hi all I am thinking of getting a tagalong for my 4-year old daughter to tag on behind my bike.
Yay another Tag Along family!

are they any good? Like it means we will be able to go for way longer rides as it will not involve her making the effort, but is that me just being selfish as I want to go on longer rides. She has a normal bike of her own for knocking around the shops etc
Yes they are great. I'm finding mine invaluable as minime can't ride her own (lovely new) bike yet. She's working on it!

Also are they safe as long as I do not ride like an idiot?
Yep. Takes a lil bit of getting used to having something trailing behind.

Also what makes should I look for, what should I bear in mind etc? The 2 companies in my Cycle to Work scheme are Evans (pricey I know) and Cycle Surgery, which seem to stock hardly any tagalongs, at least on their websites.
I'm not sure what makes are best in all honesty. I just had one from the same place I bought our bikes from. We have the Avenir Tag 100 . . . .
http://www.bikecare.co.uk/avenir_trailerbikes.html

What should I do? Are they fun, is the bottom line
GREAT fun! Minime LOVES it. We're free to go anywhere, anytime and it's helping her with her balance, pedal power, road sense etc.

We use it on the road for my 5 yr old boy.
I use it on road and on pavements sometimes.

Watch your turning circle (also applies to trailers) as you may clip when going round corners.
Yeh, it takes a bit of getting used to but after a month I find it easy.

You can also get something called a "tailgator" that you can use to tow your kids normal bike behind yours. Not used one, but may be worth investigating
I wanted one of these but when it was attached in the shop and we had a lil go....it didn't feel safe, strong enough for me. I didn't feel confident. That's just me though. I'd suggest trying both to see what you and your lil one prefer.

bottom line - kids love it and ask to go on it. It's ok for longish trips. It gets you and the family out into the fresh air more than would otherwise be the case - go for it
Definately :cool::cool:

I've got a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Has anyone tried cycling with a little one in a child seat and a bigger one on a tag-along on the same bike? Or is this not possible?

The tagalong is attached to the seat post by a long bar - This will preclude you having a child seat behind your seat (unless there are some wacky alternative fitment options out there).

for the 2 yr old you would need therefore to get one of those child seats that go on the cross bar - never used one, but I do recall hearing negative comments about these (strength of fitting? wind in kids eyes? - afraid I can't remember).

Either way, with that lot on one bike, yo would possibly want to confine your journeys to hill-less environments

The tagalong is attached to the seat post by a long bar - This will preclude you having a child seat behind your seat (unless there are some wacky alternative fitment options out there).

for the 2 yr old you would need therefore to get one of those child seats that go on the cross bar - never used one, but I do recall hearing negative comments about these (strength of fitting? wind in kids eyes? - afraid I can't remember).

Either way, with that lot on one bike, yo would possibly want to confine your journeys to hill-less environments

Child seats on the front are only OK when you can still easily see over and around the child. The weight can make control a little difficult too, though it depends how heavy the two-year-old is, of course.

Child seats on the front are only OK when you can still easily see over and around the child. The weight can make control a little difficult too, though it depends how heavy the two-year-old is, of course.

never ever ever go for the mini saddle on the top tube thing- very.very.very.fucking.dangerous.

there are some alternatives like a smaller version of the seats that go on the back that are quite nifty but i've found a bugger to get into the shop. :)

One of the most alarming sights I have ever seen is yummy mummy plus entire family (so it would seem) pelting down Queenstown Road. She was cycling, had a double tag-along for two of the kids, another child on one of those seats that attaches to the tube of the bike frame in front of her, and to crown it all was wearing a baby backpack with the youngest of her brood in that. I'm all for getting your kids to cycle to school, but that's just asking for a nasty accident.

never ever ever go for the mini saddle on the top tube thing- very.very.very.fucking.dangerous.

there are some alternatives like a smaller version of the seats that go on the back that are quite nifty but i've found a bugger to get into the shop. :)

That was the type I was thinking of. I spent a fortune on my daughter's bike seats. :D It's still not safe to have them in front if they're seriously blocking your view!

i saw a triple tandem with mum and two kids today - they looked quite safe and jolly on it
i also saw caprice bizarrely dressed as a cricket umpire but that's kensington for you

Back
Top Bottom