Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

key lime pie disaster

mr steev

magic thought wizard
Well, disaster is probably a bit strong, mild fuck up is probably more accurate :rolleyes:

I'm making a coupe of big key lime pies for a party tomorrow. Trying to be organised so they have plenty of time to chill and I don't have to run around tomorrow... or so I planned. I made the bases, zested and juiced the limes, and seperated loads of eggs. It was only after I'd whisked the yolks and zest I realised that, like a twat, I've bought evaporated milk rather than condensed. :facepalm:
I'm sure the bases and egg whites will be fine in the fridge until tomorrow morning (after I've been bloody shopping again) but will the yolk and zest be ok covered in the fridge?

I wasn't going to use the evaporated milk, but keep the egg yolks/zest and other stuff I've already made in the fridge and go and get some condensed milk tomorrow morning :)

i admit - i havent made a cheesecake type pie before, but i believe almost anything can be salvaged, so long as you dont add too much salt.

the yolks and zest should be just fine, dont worry.

Have a taste and see if its okay - if it looks bad, dont worry about that either - you can always 'dress up' a disaster with adornments... (such as grinded vanilla bean, zest shavings, or some baked egg whites and sugar on top). if you need to add sugar, maybe use refined (or caster sugar). Or even maple syrup (something that can be blended in easily). It'll be fine

the yolks and zest should be just fine, dont worry.

This is the only bit I'm concerned about. I wondered if the acid in the zest may effect the yolk if they're left together for too long?
I don't mind getting some condensed milk tomorrow, but don't really want to have to buy more eggs and limes if I can help it

It's not quite the same thing though. Made from evaporated milk is much thinner apparently.

If this was just for me then I'd give it a go. Which is something I'll look into in the future as it's cheaper and saves me hunting around for something that's not nestle. But this is for a party where people have specifically asked me to make more of what I made for a party not so long ago (which lasted all of a couple of minutes :D)

This is the only bit I'm concerned about. I wondered if the acid in the zest may effect the yolk if they're left together for too long?
I don't mind getting some condensed milk tomorrow, but don't really want to have to buy more eggs and limes if I can help it

cant say for sure, but i'd leave in the fridge - i dont think they are compatible in a bad way :)

Back
Top Bottom